• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

You Tube discussion, broadcasting etc

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Crossing over to avoid sidelining a rugby thread. Probably this discussion won't last long: Discussion started as World Rugby not permitting use of video regarding refereeing dicussions. I've suggested that "Fair Use" is not an easy pathway and asked if anyone had followed Rick Beato and his various battles:

I have not.

It sure is a lopsided battle because there's no value in a social media site or YouTube etc. investigating whether it is fair use or not. They have more to lose by allowing copyrighted material to stay up than by just actioning copyright takedown requests from major rights holders to err on the safe side.

Just for completedness: Rick Beato is a US musician, band member, producer, teacher - I have no idea how good he is at any of that. He is also a music review You Tuber with 3.6M subscribers. I suspect the legals are all country specific rather than just a You Tube thing. They just follow the rules to avoid being sued.

Beato has generally just ignored being demonitised constantly over You Tubes with music clips - the money then goes to the bands themselves - if the You Tuber doesn't argue fair use successfully. If you start that Fair Use proceeding and fail, it is a step toward Copyright strike. Blocking is when a band rep says, no you can't use our music. Copyright strike is where they place a demand on You Tube regarding enforcing things - get three of those (I believe) and You Tube close down the channel. Beato has no problem with You Tube, just the Bands and their management.

A couple of examples.

Last edited:

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
YouTube has been a copyright / fair use minefield for 15+ years now, with several high-profile controversies around channels / brands / owners, illegitimate strikes leading to channel / monetisation loss, heavy-handed policies, lack of transparency, etc.

Agree with Braveheart that, from a business perspective, it really pays for someone like YouTube to be overly cautious - especially after being stung in their early days - which unfortunately can negatively affect users and the product itself.

It's an interesting discussion to try and work out where to draw the line on using copyrighted material, and how different platforms and brands view and manage this.

As an aside, Beato is really great viewing

Reactions: dru

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)

This is another great watch if you are interested with the obvious flaws of the YT copy-right system.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
He is so good if you're a music nerd like me
Come across the Drumeo channel yet? Their series of drummers instinctively playing well-known songs that they have somehow not heard before is pretty fantastic. The Chad Smith ep released a couple of days ago was sublime.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Come across the Drumeo channel yet? Their series of drummers instinctively playing well-known songs that they have somehow not heard before is pretty fantastic. The Chad Smith ep released a couple of days ago was sublime.

Haha, I've literally spent the entire weekend watching that exact thing. It's awesome.