• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Why im loving rugby union again

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Ok, so the title might be a little misleading, i never actually stopped loving rugby union, but no doubt my passion for the game has been given a boost in the past 2 years.

1. Characters
The characters are back!! in the late 90's and at the turn of the century rugby in OZ was at its most illustrious. Burke, Larkham Gregan, Eales and Kefu were as well known as any.

Tuqiri and Sailor did bring a boost, but they always had the mungo shadow looming behind them, a month wouldnt pass where these players werent mentioned in the same sentence as some NRL reference. Larkham and Gregan were still about, but their stars had begun to fade following the 2003 RWC.

2011 has seen the emergence of a new generation of rugby bred characters, QC (Quade Cooper), KB (Kurtley Beale), Genia, Samo, JOC (James O'Connor), Fat Cat and Ioane are crowd favourites, the fans love them and young players idolise them.

787565-rugby.jpg

2. The Rivalries
Some people will disagree with me, but i find it remarkably satisfying to actually see players on opposing teams show disdain towards each other. Im sick of watching opposing teams come together at the end and joke about. I like to think that the players take the game for more then just the pay check they will earn at the end of the week..

The Quade v McCaw battle is a breath of fresh air, whether you think its cheap shots or not.
gal-port-Tri-Nations-21-600x400.jpg

3. Super Rugby
Ok, so you didnt need to be nostradamus to predict that a longer season would have a positive influence in Australia. But in the state of QLD at least, i doubt you would have been able to predict the full extent of the success.

Not purely limited to the longer season, the increase in domestic matches and the reinvigoration of state rivalries. NSW v QLD in 2011 was at levels of intensity not witnessed in years, there was no love lost in the other matches either, with QLD, NSW, ACT, VIC and the Force all winning at some point against there Australian rivals.

4. Shorter Tri-Nations
I love the shorter Tri-Nations and subsequent Bledisloe, its more cut-throat and in turn more exciting. Dead-rubber Bledisloe matches in hongkers did nothing but wet the appetite until the following season.

Im positively excited by the concept of watching the Wallabies play in front of a rabid Buenos Airies crowd!

pumas+-+Velez.jpg

5. Competitiveness
Its no secret the Wallabies have been distinctly second-rate compared to the All Blacks in recent years, but thats all turning the corner again.

The golden era was highlighted by some breathtaking wins and losses, no one can forget Eales penalty goal at fulltime to win the Bledisloe, or Lomu scoring the winning try 83 minute back in 1999 at Stadium Australia, or the Toutai Kefu swerve and bust to send Eales out a winner in 2000.

These are the games that people remember, and Australia rugby has begun to experience them once again. 2010 had Beale kick a goal after fulltime in South Africa, and Samo's 105m spectacular will be one to go down in history as well.

Lets just put the icing on the cake and win that dam William Web Ellis Cup!!

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Nicely put mate. The change in interpretation of the ruck area made a huge difference. This year they have tried to give the defensive side a bit more of a go. Recent weeks have given me real reason to worry about the refereeing this world cup. Many games see players not worrying about the gate and jumping the side fence with no penalty. It was great to see Wayne Barnes blow penalties for this and many other ruck infringements last night. What are your thoughts on referees involvement in how the game is seen?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
One thing I hate seeing on the pitch is players helping the opposition up. It actually disgusts me considering this is a competitive sport and you're trying to bash the shit out of the opposition. I realise I could be alone here.

A

Army_Gav

Not purely limited to the longer season, the increase in domestic matches and the reinvigoration of state rivalries. NSW v QLD in 2011 was at levels of intensity not witnessed in years, there was no love lost in the other matches either, with QLD, NSW, ACT, VIC and the Force all winning at some point against there Australian rivals.
LOL at not referring to WA, cop that Sandgropers!

A

Army_Gav

One thing I hate seeing on the pitch is players helping the opposition up. It actually disgusts me considering this is a competitive sport and you're trying to bash the shit out of the opposition. I realise I could be alone here.
I'm generally of the opinion you're at War for 80 minutes, after that, nothing wrong with sharing a beer or too.

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
This happened to me as well, but last year.

Personally, all those things come after one thing:

Classic games

You need classic games to get history. With History comes rivalry

Aus beat South africa 41 - 39 in one of the best games ever last year

the week before SA won 44 - 31 in the most ridiculous match ever - 5 tries in the first ten minutes

all blacks games were pretty good too... couldve been a bit more open

I stress this is why I love Wayne Barnes reffing, he opens the game up a bit more and stops it turning to a shitfight i.e. craig Joubert, Bryce Lawrence.

Last nights game was classic. All It needed was an epic win on fulltime to the wallabies instead of the 60th minute and It would have been the perfect game. It was every bit of rugby you can get, running, physical, etc, and I loved It.

A lot of interest was lost 2004 - 2009, just cause the games where a bit nehh. Nowadays we have some legendary stuff happening.

Pauly

Sydney Middleton (9)
TOCC, you should find yourself a club or school team to follow (maybe your local!) and stick with them through thick (won't happen too often) and thin. Then you'll love Rugby 52 weeks of the year - even off season. The Wallabies are the pinnacle for us Aussies but there is so much enjoyment, frustration and hope to be had by following a "lesser" comp or team. Try it .... You'll LIKE it!!!

U

Utility Back

Think your kidding yourself.

Loving it more because your winning.
Was thinking the same.

Today I also noticed that my girlfriend is more attractive, its not to hard to get out of bed, and beer tastes better!

T

TOCC

TOCC, you should find yourself a club or school team to follow (maybe your local!) and stick with them through thick (won't happen too often) and thin. Then you'll love Rugby 52 weeks of the year - even off season. The Wallabies are the pinnacle for us Aussies but there is so much enjoyment, frustration and hope to be had by following a "lesser" comp or team. Try it .... You'll LIKE it!!!

who say's i dont... this forum is however focussed on the Wallabies and Super Rugby competition....

T

TOCC

In addition i did write an article on GAGR 18months ago predicting/stating how 2011 would be a massive season(for the aussie fans) with the expanded Super Rugby season and RWC, this was prior to the Reds even starting there resurgance...

So no, the pretense of this post wasnt based purely on the Reds winning the Super Rugby competition and the Wallabies winning the Tri-Nations.

Status
Not open for further replies.