• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Who will emerge in 2012?

Status
Not open for further replies.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Sitaleki Timani stepped up unbelievably last year, hopefully he will come back bigger and better...
Backing Bernard Foley to have a big year too, is a bit of an Adam Ashley-Cooper with versatility...
And I think we will see a return to form from Lachie Turner

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Tom Kingston for the Tah's I saw in him a lot of things to like.
Toua for the Reds. This kid is class. Would love him to get a good run at 15 with no injuries.
To'omua for the Brumbies. Want him to establish himself as their long term 10.
I'd like to see Kingi get more time at 9 for the Rebels but with Phipps there it wont happen.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
Rob Horne will finally play consecutive games and put the doubts to rest.
Christian Lealiifano will become the number 2 fullback in the country.
Nic White will become the number 2 halfback in the country.
There'll be an exciting form winger from somewhere too, maybe Tomane, Nalaga or Vuna.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Good picking BG - though Nalaga won't be eligible for Oz - though you weren't thinking of it from that point of view probably.

Not to the point but Fainifo is playing some impressive rugby in Paris.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Good picking BG - though Nalaga won't be eligible for Oz - though you weren't thinking of it from that point of view probably.

Not to the point but Fainifo is playing some impressive rugby in Paris.

To highjack the thread a bit..... Fanifo is looking great at SF. But why? He's been getting a worse panning as a winger than Turner and lost his spot at the Brumbies. Perhaps the environment at the Brumbies was part of the problem and he wasn't really deadwood at all???

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Kane Douglas. Timani will have a tough year. He has been around a few years but it is fair to say this was his breakout year so he will suffer a bit of second year syndrome.

Pheonix Battie. Somebody needs to stake a claim to replace Sharpie after he is gone and I think Battie will be the one. Providing the Force don't try and squeeze 4 backrowers in the pack again.

Ben Daley's set piece will rise in 2012.

Kerr-Barlow at the Chiefs will rise.

If the chance comes his way Dom Shipperly will rise.

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
Pheonix Battie. Somebody needs to stake a claim to replace Sharpie after he is gone and I think Battie will be the one. Providing the Force don't try and squeeze 4 backrowers in the pack again.

I wouldn't be surprised if they did try to fit them in Ruggo. McCalman did feature at lock a bit last season, and with his high workrate and ability to jump in the line-out he'll likely end up featuring there. Personally I think he's a #6. He doesn't have the impact required to be an effective #8, but he does make his tackles, involves himself in rucks and offers another line-out option. But with Hodgson still around I don't think we'll see him there for a while.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Blue, would you put Elton Jantjies in an emerged or possibly emerging? Saw only a little bit of him but liked what I saw - would like to see more this year.

Yeah I listed players who nobody would really have seen much of outside of SA.

I believe Jantjes will make an impact, but it will depend on the Lions pack and their defense. In the Currie Cup he did well when the pack competed well. At times last year even when the Lions pack was in control he tended to look hesitant. If he can bring the Currie Cup form along next year then look out.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I also hope to see the continued development of Lotu Taukeiaho. I hope to see him at some stage in what will be another long season. I feel he is a prop with a huge future IF we want a strong set piece first and foremost.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yeah I listed players who nobody would really have seen much of outside of SA.

I believe Jantjes will make an impact, but it will depend on the Lions pack and their defense. In the Currie Cup he did well when the pack competed well. At times last year even when the Lions pack was in control he tended to look hesitant. If he can bring the Currie Cup form along next year then look out.

Who cares about his play on the park, his goal kicking is insane now.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Who cares about his play on the park, his goal kicking is insane now.

I'd like a future Bok flyhalf who can kick 100%, make good decision in play, take on the line, pass and tackle.

I hope the new coach looks for that and doesn't get romanced by a god who can kick and do little else.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I hope the new coach looks for that and doesn't get romanced by a god who can kick and do little else.

I disagree, I've always said I'd swap Cooper for Steyn without a doubt (that was before the WC when he was going pretty well..). Goal kicking is underrated, the ability to pile on points from anywhere inside your half cannot be underestimated, not just because of the scoreboard but the pressure it points on the opposition. It shows immensely in the Currie Cup finals when the Lions beat WP and the Sharks. They had no answer to Jantjes' kicking consistency, I don't believe he missed one kick in both finals.

Jethro Tah

Bob Loudon (25)
To highjack the thread a bit..... Fanifo is looking great at SF. But why? He's been getting a worse panning as a winger than Turner and lost his spot at the Brumbies. Perhaps the environment at the Brumbies was part of the problem and he wasn't really deadwood at all???

To highjack the thread just a little more .... I spotted young Fainifo on the Metro today wearing a SF suit and mingling with commuters. If his form keeps up he won't be so anonymous. See some highlights of his form here and here.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I'm really looking forward to seeing Toomane out wide for the Ponies. Was great when I watched him play for Nudgee and was selected for Qld Schools without putting a boot on in the trials. He's big and fast so it will be interesting to see where they play him.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Ged Robinson to have another fantastic year, he's everything you want in a Hooker (none of this 4th loosey BS).

He will become Wallaby eligible right when his Rebels contracts runs out and shit will get very interesting.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Having seen a bit of him in 2011 in trials for the Force, for the Oz U/20s and for Oz Universities 2011 I doubt if he will stake that claim, because he needs to play harder IMO. I sincerely hope that somebody reminds me of what I said when he runs out wearing a gold jersey.

IPersonally I think [McCalman] is a #6. He doesn't have the impact required to be an effective #8, but he does make his tackles, involves himself in rucks and offers another line-out option. But with Hodgson still around I don't think we'll see him there for a while.

That's my assessment of Ben Mac. To be fair he has had an unusual rugby career path: a good schools no.8 but overlooked for the top gig, often times a 2nd rower for Sydney Uni, playing behind Brown and others at the Force, then starting for the Wallabies at 8 and subbing at 7. 6 looks like his best spot at the minute but what else is in store for him?

Status
Not open for further replies.