• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Any mention of recruitment of Argentines?

Only recruitment talk in that article is that the Force are waiting on the official announcement to start recruitment and that the extra year before the TT will help them get up to speed:

The Force is waiting an official announcement before launching its recruitment program. If the trans-Tasman competition is delayed until 2022, it will give coach Tim Sampson time to get a more balanced squad together.
Have to think there'll be a few players from Argentina/South Africa interested in being a part of it, as well as any returning Australians that can be lured back.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Why not? All parties need to look at maximising their respective value and opting for a full double round robin would certainly achieve that. The June window is becoming the July window and I'm pretty sure was recently extended by a week or two via a vote. Could be wrong there. But either way. There are ways to make a full double round robin work.

I don't think it would be possible to finish at the end of June/early July without basically playing throughout most of February or having mid-week games. And I can't find the article but there was a report not long ago about 3 or 4 models that NZ were canvasing with broadcasters and they were all involving around 12-14 games per team from memory, even in a 10 team model. What suits high performance/the national teams will always be a major criteria for both unions (especially NZ) and I just can't imagine them going for a 20+ week competition requiring bigger squads and greater player management etc. If anything I think RA may find it difficult to get NZ to agree to 16 regular season games per team.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I know the Australian franchises have always been favorable towards more fixtures. I also think private equity will push towards this. It’s interesting to see NZ rugby be pushed in a direction they didn’t think they’d be in 12 months ago, let alone 6 weeks ago. Not many things on their ideal scenarios are been ticked off.

Market forces almost always work out, this could be one of those cases where if you want to maximize your earning potential your business will deviate towards a direction that it was not originally intended to.

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)
I don't think it would be possible to finish at the end of June/early July without basically playing throughout most of February or having mid-week games. And I can't find the article but there was a report not long ago about 3 or 4 models that NZ were canvasing with broadcasters and they were all involving around 12-14 games per team from memory, even in a 10 team model. What suits high performance/the national teams will always be a major criteria for both unions (especially NZ) and I just can't imagine them going for a 20+ week competition requiring bigger squads and greater player management etc. If anything I think RA may find it difficult to get NZ to agree to 16 regular season games per team.

Super Rugby already starts in Feb. I see no reason not to continue. As Rebels3 suggests there are a number of factors in play with potentially a big one being PE who will want to see a commitment to deriving value from their investment.

NZ have essentially lost the battle according to the article if correct. They wanted 8-10 teams. With a preference for 8. They wanted us to cut at least a team. Well, we look to be in line for 12 teams and are keeping all our franchises.

The PE interest will come with a number of conditions and I think NZ will be forced to accept that while they offer value in terms of talent they exist in a very shallow pond commercially.

A 25 week structure is doable.

dru

David Wilson (68)
The PE interest will come with a number of conditions and I think NZ will be forced to accept that while they offer value in terms of talent they exist in a very shallow pond commercially.

If they have it is a lesson well-learned. Chance to get back to reality.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
;) Think I may still wait until official announcement before I start celebrating, I have said a few time I take what the papers say with a very very big dose of salt. Geez you fellas have already started worrying about recruiting kick off dates etc, and we still waiting to hear if it is actually on!

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
A 25 week structure is doable.

How? That's a week short of 6 months. Surely the final for the TT competition needs to be at the end of June at the latest in a normal year. So what do you want to do, start in the 2nd week of January or have some mid-week games?

I can't see the unions or the players going for it.

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)
How? That's a week short of 6 months. Surely the final for the TT competition needs to be at the end of June at the latest in a normal year. So what do you want to do, start in the 2nd week of January or have some mid-week games?

I can't see the unions or the players going for it.

Get creative. We could look to move the RC to align with the 6Ns to kick off the season. Move into the season and run it until it finishes while hosting inbound tours mid season via mid-week games. With all the talk of SoU why not copy SoO on the scheduling. This way the competition could run through the tours (giving young guys a shot which has worked out quite well this season).

Though. If this is what we're getting then NZ may be given more influence over the schedule.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Get creative. We could look to move the RC to align with the 6Ns to kick off the season. Move into the season and run it until it finishes while hosting inbound tours mid season via mid-week games. With all the talk of SoU why not copy SoO on the scheduling. This way the competition could run through the tours (giving young guys a shot which has worked out quite well this season).

Though. If this is what we're getting then NZ may be given more influence over the schedule.

What? Host inbound tours with tests midweek? And have super rugby without Wallabies etc? I know changing all the season sounds great, but it requires a hell of a lot of changes including get players released from clubs etc. We have to remember for all the talk etc Wallabies are what keeps the money coming in for rugby to run in the country, and you have to give them full access to players for test season, so that would take them out of Super for 6-7 weeks. Mate young fellas have worked up to a point this year, but a good number of them will be in Wallabies anyway, and geez you don't want to expose the rest.
I like the idea of aligning 6N and RC in some way, not sure how, but would be good, though playing test rugby here in Feb/March might be tough.

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)
What? Host inbound tours with tests midweek? And have super rugby without Wallabies etc? I know changing all the season sounds great, but it requires a hell of a lot of changes including get players released from clubs etc. We have to remember for all the talk etc Wallabies are what keeps the money coming in for rugby to run in the country, and you have to give them full access to players for test season, so that would take them out of Super for 6-7 weeks. Mate young fellas have worked up to a point this year, but a good number of them will be in Wallabies anyway, and geez you don't want to expose the rest.
I like the idea of aligning 6N and RC in some way, not sure how, but would be good, though playing test rugby here in Feb/March might be tough.

Tell me. When the 6Ns is on what happens to the respective leagues up north? I'm talking about the July inbound tours. That's three maybe four weeks tops.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
In the NH they carry on playing you correct, but not the Heineken cup, see down here we don't have a secondary comp like up there, also a major reason they buy players from down here, so they not needed during 6Ns. Can you imagine how the teams would go without Wallabies etc? I understand what you saying, but there is no way the test teams would be only needed for 3-4 weeks, they would need to be in camp 2 weeks ahead of first test at least. I know the idea is good , and I like it, but would only really work if NRC etc were also playing so as not to ruin teams. Also up NH they carry a lot bigger squads than we do , so would probably be a bit expensive.

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)

big fan of at least trying mid week games

our WTS sit there with their members in their hands half the season, bench players often get minimal minutes and rely on injuries to force their way through

Taking out wallabies for a couple of weeks encourages player development, strengthens overall squad depth and as a little aside adds a bit of drama to the contest

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)
In the NH they carry on playing you correct, but not the Heineken cup, see down here we don't have a secondary comp like up there, also a major reason they buy players from down here, so they not needed during 6Ns. Can you imagine how the teams would go without Wallabies etc? I understand what you saying, but there is no way the test teams would be only needed for 3-4 weeks, they would need to be in camp 2 weeks ahead of first test at least. I know the idea is good , and I like it, but would only really work if NRC etc were also playing so as not to ruin teams. Also up NH they carry a lot bigger squads than we do , so would probably be a bit expensive.

They could do as League does in the lead in to SoO and have mini camps during the week and release player to their clubs for games on the weekend. NH squads are larger but it's not like an entire teams worth of talent is going to be ripped away from the franchises. Meaning with the average squad of 30 or so they should be able to cover. Plus. It could be an opportunity to give non contracted prospects a run at a higher level to see how they fair.

half

Dick Tooth (41)
Not to sure whether to put this on the Super Rugby thread or the broadcast thread. Decided here.

No comment from myself aside from this is from Fairfax and I have copied only a bit of a much larger article, and it has a lot more in the article.

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sp...ic-as-foxtel-talks-tough-20200902-p55rrz.html

“....Delany, speaking at a sports conference on Tuesday, failed to specifically mention rugby as one of the major codes Foxtel was happy to continue doing business with.

“In the past we have tried to have every sport we could get,” Delany said.

To be frank, there are too many sports in Australia with too big an expectation and too small a population.

“We are now quite fearless of losing a sport. If a sport is asking too much money and we can't make it work, and someone else can, well good luck to them.

“We can see quite clearly the sports that are working and those sports know who they are. We did a great deal with the NRL to review our relationship. I want more of the NRL. Our relationship with the AFL is really fabulous. I want more AFL. The motorsports are going well for us, and we like cricket.

“But they are really the tier one sports and the rest are going to have to adjust.”

Delany’s comments were viewed as a back-hander to the other two major football codes in rugby and soccer, but Clarke brushed aside the remarks on Wednesday and is adamant the 15-man game is still in a position to be purchased for a good price when negotiations formally begin.”

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Not to sure whether to put this on the Super Rugby thread or the broadcast thread. Decided here.

“..Delany, speaking at a sports conference on Tuesday, failed to specifically mention rugby as one of the major codes Foxtel was happy to continue doing business with.

“We can see quite clearly the sports that are working and those sports know who they are. We did a great deal with the NRL to review our relationship. I want more of the NRL. Our relationship with the AFL is really fabulous. I want more AFL. The motorsports are going well for us, and we like cricket.

And yet there are reports that Foxtel are trying to work with CA to get a reduction to the Rights they bought and 7 Sport who is a key player is prepositioning to terminate the CA broadcast contract.

I would interpret what he said as pure marketing spin. The reality is most of those sports he mentioned, only give Foxtel a partial bite of the big sport cherry. Is it enough to survive? If a new player enters the market, partially through Foxtel's invitation by not taking up rights, will he be so willing to give up sports content?

https://www.news.com.au/sport/crick...a/news-story/191c883825c89587aad9ac13c01fa955

half

Dick Tooth (41)
^^^^^^^^

MST

As many have posted before the buyers of sport over the recent past i.e. FTA TV & Subscriptions seems to be hugely challenged by streaming services.

Me thinks Fox are in a race to change their sports delivery model to more streaming which in turn requires many more people to watch.

Tis the same world over this is interesting. For Fox to make streaming work they need big numbers.

I wonder if a sign of things to come its from the US, not sure how it works as I don't know the key companies involved. Nor do I pretend to understand or comprehend its importance. However Forbes ran with it and they seem to think its important, maybe not for sports like AFL but for rugby in Australia hhhmmmm!!!!!!!!!! not sure. As I said I was reading Forbes and this came up.

No idea if this could or not help Super Rugby,- as indicated I don't know enough about those involved nor how its applied but looks interesting. It seems this is some kind of narrow casting with hhhmmmm smaller sized player, who has a sporting reach. So how effective is questionable, but its interesting for Super Rugby to sell to specific areas outside Australia.

According to Forbes is estimated to be worth a low seven-figure sum, will see Bleacher Report publish content across its digital channels in a bid to reach new fans. The deal also apparently creates the potential for additional revenue through branded content opportunities .

Remember I have no idea who "Bleacher" is, nor what their digital channels are.

https://www.sportspromedia.com/news/bleacher-report-mls-us-soccer-tv-rights-2022

Status
Not open for further replies.