• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
It's actually lucky that Michael Hooper came out yesterday and said that he thought Australian rugby could support all five teams and that they should remain.

Otherwise people might start blaming him for wanting a team to be canned.

That's not surprising, he is an intelligent Sydney boy and the next Wallabies captain.

First player that comes out and says publicly we don't have the depth will be marched to the airport by the rest of their team and put on the first flight to the Pitcairns. The local govenor will be waiting to pick them up and set them to work in the GAGR server room. Once a week allowing them to come out and ride the pine for one of the islands two teams. They won't actually get to play, just to remind the idiot of better times.

The Snout

Ward Prentice (10)
I support the Rebels, I moved down here from Qld nearly 20 years ago and while I watch the Reds and my heart is still there, I fully attend and support the local team. Hence I wear their badge on this forum.

But, I think if a team must go it will be the Rebels. As long as there remains a path in the NRC for Melbourne I think the Rebels can go.

I believe the Reds and Waratahs maybe every year or so either one maybe takes a home game down to Melbourne I think the local expat interest in that would be popular with the locals here. After all, Tests don't do to bad.

It's a real prick for me to not have any team to go to watch live. But I think if the Brumbies have truly turned the corner on finances and the growth in the youth in the west is real, then Melbourne must go.

It's never going to be anything more than a niche team and maybe this is one fight not worth continuing when shoring up elsewhere is needed.

blues recovery

Billy Sheehan (19)
Sorry mate can't agree . I supported the Tahs for years before I moved to Melbourne but now I'm a locked in , hand on heart Rebels man . Like I think the vast majority of Force , Rebels , Brumbies supporters , take out our team and we are gone to Rugby at a professional level , especially beacause of the shocking way the ARU are handling this process and the disrespect being shown to joe supporter .

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
If I was the team being cut I would be investigating the prospect of suing SANZAAR, the ARU, the NZRU, the SARU and any other parties to the decision.

Pretty sure Foxtel, and other broadcasters, would also consider joining the fun and sue all of those respondents as well.

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
It just seems like Australian rugby fans are hitting a brick wall in their hope for Super Rugby to act as a pseudo domestic comp. It just doesn’t seem to be in the best interests of NZ and SA (from their perspective).

There seems to be no appetite for a 3x6 conference model.

Perhaps the best we can get is a 3x5 conference model. But this would mean cutting one Oz team.

So here is an alternative strategy based on trying to move away from reliance on Super Rugby to meet our domestic derby appetite.

If the NRC were made up of the following teams:

(Sydney?) Waratahs
(Brisbane?) Reds
(Canberra?) Brumbies
Western Force
Melbourne Rebels
Adelaide Black Falcons (or Fiji?)

It wouldn’t gain the same profile as Super Rugby obviously, because the test players are not available. But I reckon it would gain more traction than the current NRC because of the more recognisable brand names.

No, it wouldn’t be as big as the NRL or AFL, but it would (potentially) start to satisfy the appetite for local derbies in the same way as the domestic comps do in NZ and SA.

Then the pressure isn’t as great on Super Rugby to play that role for Oz fans. We may even desire less domestic derbies like SA and NZ.

The NRC teams would also be run by the current Super Rugby franchises, taking some heat out of the ‘premier clubs vs current NRC clubs’ tension.

Just trying to think around the issue if an Oz team actually gets cut.

N

NTT

So, almost a week later and still no decision, no ARU statement and more confusion and nervous waiting for fans. Talk about a clusterfuck. While this is all happening, the other footy codes are marching ahead, garnering supporters disillusioned with the powers that be running rugby in Australia, whilst taking pot shots from afar.
As expected the ARU have done nothing that is in Australias interest instead leaking that its a decision for South Africas overly politicized national body to sort out.
Does the ARU even know what it wants from this mess?
Does the ARU even know what damage is currently being done by being so weak and closed off to taking a position?
Does the ARU know that no one is doing more harm to Rugby in Australia than the ARU itself?
Does the ARU even know what its purpose is?

The changes were flagged last September, apparently what has happened since is none of the SANZAAR nations have bothered to pick up the phone and talk to each other and get their options negotiated before the "watershed" meeting last friday. All the while the patient continues to flatline.
I can only hope that a new commission to run Super Rugby is established and that they do a much better job running Super Rugby than the current dithering fools.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Pretty sure Foxtel, and other broadcasters, would also consider joining the fun and sue all of those respondents as well.

They would need to agree to the changes for them to take place.

SANZAAR can't cut teams without their approval because they are party to an agreement that runs until 2020.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Sorry mate can't agree . I supported the Tahs for years before I moved to Melbourne but now I'm a locked in , hand on heart Rebels man . Like I think the vast majority of Force , Rebels , Brumbies supporters , take out our team and we are gone to Rugby at a professional level , especially beacause of the shocking way the ARU are handling this process and the disrespect being shown to joe supporter .

I'm very similar but from QLD instead. To be honest, didn't think much of Victorian Rugby until i came down here. I had played a little bit of Premier Rugby up in QLD, came down here thought i'd be basically running in trys for fun, but i have been very surprised at the level of the local comp. Although i must admit i am very social now and not in my 20s anymore. One thing i'd say to people esp those throwing mud at the Rebels and Vic rugby, is that it's a lot stronger and bigger than you think it is, but it's not as big as someone from within the Vic rugby scene will tell you. Find the middle ground and you'll have the answer. Im doing the same with the Brumbies and Force.

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
Nailed it!

I will however ad that whilst I probably Union if they start cutting teams, my family will NOT support any other sport ever, period.

moa999

Alfred Walker (16)
If they cut a team it's massive short-term thinking.
A few extra $s for each team for a couple of years
Maybe the Aussie teams beat the NZ/SA teams a bit more but doesn't change the Wallabies

Long-term
You lose a bunch of supporters, impacts future TV rights
More kids go to league/ Europe as they can't see a path to a slot - this hurts the Wallabies in the future

blues recovery

Billy Sheehan (19)

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
It's really looking like the Melbourne Brumbies are a genuine possibility for 2018 at this stage. :confused:

Either they merge, or the Force and Rebels merge. Either way the Rebels would appear to have enough clout over the ARU by virtue of private ownership to ensure the merged team stays in Melbourne.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Either they merge, or the Force and Rebels merge. Either way the Rebels would appear to have enough clout over the ARU by virtue of private ownership to ensure the merged team stays in Melbourne.

But I still want to know how much clout the private ownership holds when the ARU are giving them a shit tonne of money to stay afloat?

The Australian Rugby Union has given the Melbourne Rebels’ private owner Andrew Cox financial support worth more than $6 million for five years to stop the bleeding from a club that has cost the game between $15 million and $20m since its inception.

Because the deal is front-end loaded, it is understood the Rebels are being paid $2.6m for 2016, the initial year of the deal, but that payments are reduced considerably in value over the remaining four years.

The other four Australian Super Rugby clubs — the Waratahs, Brumbies, Queensland Reds and Western Force — are allocated $1.7m a year for the five-year term of December’s $285m broadcast agreement with Fox and Ten, rising by $50,000 a year. This is over and above the $3.9m that all five clubs, Melbourne included, were allocated last year under the previous broadcast deal to run their club and fund their players.

blues recovery

Billy Sheehan (19)
The clout comes from the assurances the ARU have the current owners when they did the deal . The ARU was desperate to do the deal at that time . I believe one way or another it's a large barrel!

Status
Not open for further replies.