• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
let'em go. if they want japanese brides. sure wont be Super Rugby. I guess they'll call it SUN Rugby.

Yep but I strongly suspect, even if it was true, that you might find SA and Argentina would also go there, and good luck for us buggers seeing Foxtel paying out anything for a 5 team Aus comp! I think they would spend their rugby budget on broadcasting the other comp:mad:

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
This is a photo of SANZAAR all patting themselves on the back for a job well done in signing off on the current format, a format which is now killing the competition.

There's little to defend in how SANZAAR and the ARU have handled this whole debacle, from the moment the rumours of culling a team started to now, where meetings are capturing more headlines in major newspaper then the actual season..

It's a debacle mate, stop defending those who have made shitty decisions which have compromised the future of the code in this country.

f472bf0d1267478236aa8bbf5cdb595d.jpg

I like diversity in management

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
This is a photo of SANZAAR all patting themselves on the back for a job well done in signing off on the current format, a format which is now killing the competition.

There's little to defend in how SANZAAR and the ARU have handled this whole debacle, from the moment the rumours of culling a team started to now, where meetings are capturing more headlines in major newspaper then the actual season..

It's a debacle mate, stop defending those who have made shitty decisions which have compromised the future of the code in this country.

f472bf0d1267478236aa8bbf5cdb595d.jpg

And, happily to the far left of shot, are the esteemed guardians of rugby union in this country, Pulver and (then ARU Chairman) Hawker.......

.....after another one of those 'high profile global executive searches' four years ago now, Pulver, Hawker's school class mate, school rugby mate, golfing mate, near-neighbour mate, and boardroom-connections mate was carefully selected as ARU CEO from no doubt a raft of highly qualified international candidates who failed to meet the ARU Board's stern tests of executive quality and sports code leadership capability.

Tests and standards that all Australian rugby fans are now benefitting from.

Thank goodness it's all worked out so well.

T

TOCC

I think you will find everyone wants to wkeep Sunwolves, it's called Asian money from TV, not sure who says only NZRU is the only ones who want them.

Where is it and how much is it worth?

Sunwolves featuring in this comp completely undermines the integrity of the 'competition'. They aren't at all competitive and it makes a mockery that they continue to feature..

Another failure by SANZAAR when deciding whether to include Japan.. SANZAAR should have imposed KPI's and performance measures/criteria on JFRU. Eddie Jones distanced himself from the bid from day 1 because he said the wrong systems were in place, yet SANZAAR have continued with their inclusion because they bring in extra TV money? They should be the first on the chopping block, JFRU haven't taken their inclusion seriously and they don't deserve to host a team.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Where is it and how much is it worth?

Sunwolves featuring in this comp completely undermines the integrity of the 'competition'. They aren't at all competitive and it makes a mockery that they continue to feature..

Another failure by SANZAAR when deciding whether to include Japan.. SANZAAR should have improve KPI's and performance measures/criteria on JFRU. Eddie Jones distanced himself from the bid from day 1 because he said the wrong systems were in place, yet SANZAAR have continued with their inclusion because they bring in extra TV money? They should be the first on the chopping block, JFRU haven't taken their inclusion seriously and they don't deserve to host a team.

TOCC, I think I understand what you are saying. Success on the field is not the same as success. It IS a window to the Japan markets.

Dont disagree that some metrics around preparation and alignment would be a good thing. But money will talk.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
TOCC, I think I understand what you are saying. Success on the field is not the same as success. It IS a window to the Japan markets.

Dont disagree that some metrics around preparation and alignment would be a good thing. But money will talk.

And I wouldn't rule out further interest in the Asian market. I think it could become quitevan important market for Super Rugby going forward.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
They will not burn bridges with their Asian foot print with 2019 not far away. Any decision to turf them out will essentially kill any opportunity to have the Asian market in any sanzaar operation going forward. I do agree with imposing kpi's to them tho. Their squad is far from the best Japan can offer and their preseason is comical. The same needs to be put forward to Argentina as well, not particularly towards the jaguares, but Argentina in the rugby championship. Perhaps demanding they open their player base to anyone playing super rugby. The extra money available in aus and nz for contracts might be enough to attract players back from Europe to extend their player base to select from as well as strengthening particularly aus teams. There is numerous hookers, wingers and locks running around Europe that would be a shoe in at some super clubs.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Geyer's rant on TripleM rang true, who can be fucked keeping up with Super Rugby these days. Also, it's got to be fucked as a player to be flying in and out of Argentina and Japan every week.

T

TOCC

I have a better idea.let's cut the current ARU board..

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

100%, follow the example of other sporting competitions(NBA, EPL, NFL) and establish a commission made up by the clubs, remove nationals politics from the equation. Let the clubs set the agenda and do what's best for them, let market forces dictate the nature of the comp.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
Geyer's rant on TripleM rang true, who can be fucked keeping up with Super Rugby these days. Also, it's got to be fucked as a player to be flying in and out of Argentina and Japan every week.
Its obviously not every week is it?

But you are right, im sure the players would much rather visit Penrith and shit than exotic foreign countries.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
100%, follow the example of other sporting competitions(NBA, EPL, NFL) and establish a commission made up by the clubs, remove nationals politics from the equation. Let the clubs set the agenda and do what's best for them, let market forces dictate the nature of the comp.
Do the clubs get to keep the massive subsidies from the National sides under this model?

T

TOCC

The issue isn't these foreign places, it's the black hole of PR and media coverage that the teams fall into whilst visiting these countries..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.