• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I hate to keep saying this, but the popularity of the game is something that the ARU can do very little about.

The game is just not as popular as the three other footy codes, in Australia. WTF can the ARU do about that?

Just a simple answer will suffice.

L

Leo86

I remember doing a survey last year and i suggested mid week FTA replays. When no other sport is on it might pique other codes fans interest, either match of the round or WA tv plays Force, Vic tv Rebels, Qld tv Reds, etc. Basically advertising/promoting/generating interest. With out asking to pay up first and then see if you like what you get

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
not a fan of Jones, but he makes reasonable points and the ARU must stand up and take responsibility for their failed administration...

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
I hate to keep saying this, but the popularity of the game is something that the ARU can do very little about.

The game is just not as popular as the three other footy codes, in Australia. WTF can the ARU do about that?

The question is, why is that? I would argue it's at least in part due to a lack of reach.

In places where rugby has a decent professional presence it holds its own with other codes. Rugby is just as popular in Canberra as rugby league, it's generally just as popular in the north shore and eastern suburbs of Sydney as rugby league and AFL, and while it's not as popular in Brisbane as rugby league the Reds generally do better than the Roar and often better than the Lions.

In Perth, rugby is dwarfed by AFL but the Force crowds aren't any worse than Perth Glory's. In Melbourne the Rebels crowds aren't much lower than the Storm and would probably be at least the same size if the two teams were equally successful.

The problem is that rugby has no professional presence in quite a few places where it could - like Western Sydney, the Hunter and Central coast, QLD outside of Brisbane etc.

You only have to look at how popular the Wallabies become when they have periods of success to see how much latent interest there is in rugby as a sport. Rugby just isn't set up to convert these bandwagon fans into more regular fans when it's up against sports that focus on geographical reach, tribalism and a high quantity of local content.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)

How did AFL become so much more popular in NSW?
Where did all the soccer supporters come for a new club in Western Sydney come from?
Same answer, from junior participation.

KiwiM

Arch Winning (36)
Also has a JRFU official commenting on them being added to the Australian Conference but no mention of whether they'll still be playing some home games in Singapore.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby/news/article.cfm?c_id=80&objectid=11837580

The only games they play in Singapore are versus South African opposition because there is no direct flight to and from South Africa/Japan. They'll still have to play 2 teams in the South African conference at home (one of those could be the Jaguares one year).

Although this year they did obviously play the Bulls in Tokyo - with the Bulls having played the previous round in Hamilton and the following round after Tokyo in Pretoria (this weekend)

T

TOCC

To name a few:

-More rugby on FTA
-Clear development pathways
-a less convoluted Super Rugby comp
-improved marketing for NRC, Super Rugby and Wallabies
-improved allocation of resources
-a softening of the elitist brand image
-recalibration of test match ticket pricing

kickedmyheight

Frank Nicholson (4)

There is quite a lot that the ARU can do to help the popularity of the game. There is nothing intrinsic in the game of rugby that makes it less popular than any other code, it all comes down to exposure and marketing.

This is a great simplification of course as there are many factors here that don't all have simple or short term solutions but the big ticket items for me are:
1. More exposure of top or near top level rugby to more people. FTA is a big player here. If the NRC can be built up to a viable, high quality National competition with extensive exposure via FTA tv then participation and viewer numbers will surely increase substantially.
2. Juniors engagement. The more juniors nationwide that you get experiencing the game from a young age, the more kids you will have deciding to play rugby. This will naturally also increase the sports popularity amongst those close to the kids playing.
3. Viable pathways from junior to Wallaby level. This is my big argument for the retention of the Force (Rebels too for that matter), they provide a visible and viable pathway for a 10yo kid just starting out to see that they could play for the Wallabies one day. Speaking from experience as a Perth boy who grew up without the Force, the other super clubs are too distant for a kid to see them as a viable pathway.

It is a big conversation wamberal, but that is the simplest I can state it.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
More rugby on FTA? How exactly?

Development? Seems pretty clear to me. We do not have a lot of talent, AFAIK less than we need. So all the talented players should get all the development they need.

The Super Rugby comp and its make-up is not the ARU's decision. They have a say, of course. But it is not our competition, after all. We just participate in it.

Marketing? Lipstick on a pig, as far as the mass market is concerned.

Our "elitist" brand image is about the only plus we have, frankly. Maybe we should play to it a bit more.

Test match pricing? Swings and roundabouts.

B

BLR

The Super Rugby comp and its make-up is not the ARU's decision. They have a say, of course. But it is not our competition, after all. We just participate in it.

However we can get it, instead of paying $17 million a year on corporate fund some of that to tell a station to give us a 30 minute mid week show. If the Shute Shield can get on FTA why can't the bloody ARU?

ARU had veto on the convoluted set up but they didn't use it. Veto is the ultimate power when it comes to this competition.

AFL is the biggest sport in most Australian markets and got that way because of marketing, speak to most long term AFL fans and they will tell you the game itself isn't as good as it used to be but look, number keep rising. Most of that is 'bigging up' the game, 'Australia's game, 'Best game in the world' the commentators acting like a hand ball is the greatest piece of work out there, marketing overseas ventures to make it seem like everyone loves a bit of Aussie Rules, they just haven't had the chance to get to know how great it is. All things the AFL have done in the last 20 odd years to market the game that has grown it. What have the ARU done in this time?

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)

Development? Seems pretty clear to me. We do not have a lot of talent, AFAIK less than we need. So all the talented players should get all the development they need.

Our "elitist" brand image is about the only plus we have, frankly. Maybe we should play to it a bit more.

Well, one option would be to take some of the money saved from cutting a franchise and do as the SRU has an look to pay for at least one game a week via 7Two or some such. Look to use one of the non-broadcast games that FoxSports typically streams. That would certainly help.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
However we can get it, instead of paying $17 million a year on corporate fund some of that to tell a station to give us a 30 minute mid week show. If the Shute Shield can get on FTA why can't the bloody ARU?

The ARU's "corporate" expenditure was $14.5m in 2016. It has dropped considerably in the last few years and I'd suggest there is little fat left to be trimmed there.

I am sure we could pay to have some rugby on FTA on a secondary channel on a Saturday afternoon as well. Prime time outside of test matches is incredibly unlikely though.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
^^^^^
Wamberal man, we've been playing to that tag the entire time. How would we play to it more?

You are wrong about lipstick on a pig as well. There are a lot of latent fans of rugby who have just fallen by the wayside because the Wallabies have struggled recently (besides the WC year which, lets be honest, was an anomaly) and Super Rugby is a giant pile of fuck. there aren't any other compelling competitions to watch besides those two. The game itself is fine its all the other bullshit that is killing it. That is why, when you get all of the other bullshit right (see northern hemisphere) shit takes off.

kickedmyheight

Frank Nicholson (4)

Many possible ways. But basically the ARU needs to offer a product which FTA tv is willing to bid for. In my mind the NRC is this product, though it will need further development to make it truely attractive.

I believe we have plenty of talent, we just need to sure up the development pathways.

This is true, but the ARU is a one third partner in Super Rugby (kind of) and so should be able to have a major influence on it's direction.

I disagree, it is essential. We don't have the automatic and ingrained publicity of the AFL or similar so as a code we need to get the game in front of as many people as possible so they know about it. Speaking from a WA perspective, the casual afl fan knows little about rugby until they actually sit down and watch a game properly. I have converted quite a few people (mainly my inlaws) simply by getting them to watch games that they have an intetest in the outcome.

The elitist brand will kill the code as it is too insular. It limits us to small markets only.

Again. If the game is easier to see (cheaper) then more people become fans.

Basically we have to trust our product. Rugby is a great game, we all know that, that is why we are fans. We should trust that the same things that we appreciate about the game will also be appreciated by others if they are given the opportunity.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)
Many possible ways. But basically the ARU needs to offer a product which FTA tv is willing to bid for. In my mind the NRC is this product, though it will need further development to make it truely attractive.

I believe we have plenty of talent, we just need to sure up the development pathways.

This is true, but the ARU is a one third partner in Super Rugby (kind of) and so should be able to have a major influence on it's direction.

I disagree, it is essential. We don't have the automatic and ingrained publicity of the AFL or similar so as a code we need to get the game in front of as many people as possible so they know about it. Speaking from a WA perspective, the casual afl fan knows little about rugby until they actually sit down and watch a game properly. I have converted quite a few people (mainly my inlaws) simply by getting them to watch games that they have an intetest in the outcome.

The elitist brand will kill the code as it is too insular. It limits us to small markets only.

Again. If the game is easier to see (cheaper) then more people become fans.

Basically we have to trust our product. Rugby is a great game, we all know that, that is why we are fans. We should trust that the same things that we appreciate about the game will also be appreciated by others if they are given the opportunity.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk[/quote]

That's why I suggested doing something similar as the Shute Shield with the NRC. It's a hugely entertaining brand of Rugby. One that I think would bring people in.

S

sidelineview

Once a kid reaches high school, the sport he (or she) is playing is pretty much the sport he or she will continue to play.

A lot of kids are playing soccer and AFL so they're lost to rugby even if they attend a traditionally strong rugby, private high school.

Once upon a time, kids starting certain high schools could play rugby or rugby as their winter sport. It wasn't politically correct but political correctness wasn't even invented then.
Now it's multiple choices .. lawn bowls, ping pong, cycling ... the list goes on.
Junior soccer has a strong following and is very popular with the mums for reasons of safety because rugby or RL is perceived to be too rough.

The ARU need to get into the primary and high schools and promote the game, but how can they if they dont have any money?

Restructure the high school competitions to include more public schools.

AFL has been introduced into schools in recent years (including into traditionally strong rugby schools). The AFL is pro active and come bearing gifts and promotions. They've been very successful with their marketing strategy.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)

What would you do?

Or maybe a better question for you is why are you even here?

As others have pointed out you constantly spout this line and say all is lost no matter what is done. It is unconstructive. There is lots that could be done differently.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Schools engagement is something that RugbyWA have been on the front foot with. When my kids were in primary school (a state school BTW) a couple of years ago, a couple of guys from the Force came along for a period of several weeks to introduce the game to both boys and girls. My son is at an all boys secondary school now and plays rugby, even though he's still playing Aussie Rules with his club on the weekend. To my mind this is a net gain for the game, because he's playing a game that he previously didn't. There are additional boys in his Yr 8 team over and above the group from Yr 7 last year too. Again, that is a net gain for the code.

Reactions: dru
Status
Not open for further replies.