• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Sydney Rams . NRC Official Team Thread

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I repeat, in the draw the Rams play none of the NSW teams at home. Great support from the ARU to build a presence in the west!

Surely with 3 NSW opponents, 1 of those MUST be a home game for us just by the law of averages?

Though, knowing how rugby operates in Sydney to a degree, it works out like this:

Firstly Sydney Uni and Balmain (the money) looking after themselves.

Followed by Randwick and Easts (the establishment) looking after themselves.

Followed by the North Shore conglomerate (the lower north shore) looking after itself.

We should hardly be fucking surprised that the self-serving fluffybunnys at the ARU don't have a map with anything marked on it west of Ryde (with a very small blip showing "Millner" on it.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
You do the ARU a disservice @Pfitzy.

They are well acquainted with the western Suburbs. Most have Penrith Lakes (HOTR) and North Parramatta (Kings) programmed into their Tom Toms.

Their biannual pilgrammage to parts west of Concord clearly give them a good feel for the issues and challenges of The West.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
All well and good to say London is chock full of people who'll just roll up to anything, but how many of those yuppies with disposable income have kids they need to pick up after school?

You're right that a Thursday night isn't as suitable to someone with kids.

But at the same time a Thursday night might suit a uni student or younger adult even more than a Friday or Saturday night would. On the Friday and Saturday night they might have 3 parties or events to go to. Thursday? Free.

There's more things competing for your time on a weekend than on a week day night.

Also, no matter your circumstances, if you know for several weeks there is going to be a Thursday night game, and it's going to be the only Thursday night game of the entire year, then most people will be able to figure out a way to go if they really want to go. People find it easy enough to make it to the movies or late night shopping on a Thursday night.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I do remember what a social life looked like ;)

Tahs game on a Saturday night was the warmup for the evening, for example

Tim Anstee

Frank Row (1)
Surely it's gotta be earlier then mid July. I'd better expecting/hoping them to announce squads/grounds/draw early next week. if they don't it doesn't leave much time for memberships and marketing/advertising to get people on board.

I really wanna get behind the rams and the NRC in general but it would be nice to get some information out soon or at least let us know dates of when stuff is going to be announced. I'm sick of hearing we will let you know asap

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Surely it's gotta be earlier then mid July. I'd better expecting/hoping them to announce squads/grounds/draw early next week. if they don't it doesn't leave much time for memberships and marketing/advertising to get people on board.

I really wanna get behind the rams and the NRC in general but it would be nice to get some information out soon or at least let us know dates of when stuff is going to be announced. I'm sick of hearing we will let you know asap
Rays now when there playing and where.
Shute Shield now and success there will promote the NRC naturally.

Tim Anstee

Frank Row (1)
The Rams would know there home ground and players,etc by now I reckon they are just waiting for the ARU to officially launch the competition which should be in the near future (next week hopefully). From there things will really get rolling for all clubs but it sure doesn't leave long

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
The Rams would know there home ground and players,etc by now I reckon they are just waiting for the ARU to officially launch the competition which should be in the near future (next week hopefully). From there things will really get rolling for all clubs but it sure doesn't leave long

They'd know there ground and I imagine they'd have a very good idea of players, but with a tournament like this who knows.

I hope there's a loan system like the NPC, that can be great for spread of talent amongst the Sydney and Brisbane teams.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Very disappointing decision at such a crucial (and late) time. Seems like poor form from Eastwood's part but I guess the full story isn't out there. I hope it doesn't result in the loss of Eastwood fans (who may now be split between the other Sydney teams).

Does this threaten the existence of the Rams?

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Very disappointing decision at such a crucial (and late) time. Seems like poor form from Eastwood's part but I guess the full story isn't out there. I hope it doesn't result in the loss of Eastwood fans (who may now be split between the other Sydney teams).

I'm sure the Rams will be along soon to let us know the full story. Or some version of that. If they know it. And if we can be trusted to understand it in the same way they do.
But i was ever an optimist.
Gee it's hard to be a fan when there is absolutely 1 fifth of bugger all being communicated to us. Show a little faith? It'll be right on the night?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

A bit harsh to call it poor form with no details.
This was always the problem with the ARU offloading all the risk.
It really is very disconcerting that whatever the cause Eastwood have taken the view that it is better that they not be involved, given that not being involved surrenders a lot of ground to the SS clubs that can provide a direct pathway to the NRC.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
IS, true we'll have to see what the story is.

Just a thought.

There's apparently 3 consortiums bidding for the Waratahs license. Only 1 of them can get it. Maybe one of the others would be interested in investing in the Rams?

It'd involve a smaller investment and they'd be building something from the ground up. And in time, who knows, it could become a 6th super rugby franchise (or part of the top tier of Australian rugby - whatever that is in 5 years time).

The other 2 Sydney teams don't really have that potential. A West Sydney or Greater Sydney team does as they'll be targeting an area that the Waratahs don't really generate much support from. They could partner with the existing Rams clubs, and that pathway to the Rams would still exist, but the clubs themselves wouldn't have to run the Rams or take on as much financial risk.

Not sure if any of the consortiums would be interested or if the ARU could point them in that direction.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I would love to have a beer with the Woodies decision makers and the Wicks decision makers.
Is one of them way off,or is the answer in the middle somewhere?
I have heard Papworth on the radio a few times,and to say he was lukewarm about the NRC,would be dramatically overstating his view.