• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Western Force 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

todd4

Dave Cowper (27)
Trial match Western Force v Perth Spirit Sat 28th Jan at Busselton WA. Teams:

Western Force vs Perth SpiritBarnard Park, Busselton
Kick-off: 5:30pm
1. Francois Van Wyk
2. Tatafu Polota Nau
3. Jermaine Ainsley
4. Matthew Philip
5. Isireli Naisarani
6. Anaru Rangi
7. Matt Hodgson
8. Brynard Stander
9. Ryan Louwrens
10. Peter Grant
11. Semisi Masirewa
12. Bill Meakes
13. Curtis Rona
14. Chance Peni
15. James Verity-Amm​
Spirit Team​
Western Force vs Perth SpiritBarnard Park, Busselton
Kick-off: 5:30pm
Mees Erasmus

Heath Tessmann

Shambeckler Vui

Onehunga Havili

Ross Haylett-Petty

Harry Scoble

Kane Koteka

Richard Hardwick

Michael Ruru

Ian Prior

Brendan Owen

Marcel Brache

Alex Newsome

Will Latu

Clay Uyen

todd4

Dave Cowper (27)
Western Force vs Perth Spirit Third-by-Third

By David Berrie on Sat 28th January 17 in NRC
_D4S7514.jpg

The Western Force and Perth Spirit enjoyed a solid hit out at Barnard Park in Busselton with the 2017 squad getting some quality minutes into their legs in front a strong crowd following the Alcohol. Think Again Jetty 7s.
The Force and Spirit went at it for three 20-minute periods with players moving between teams to ensure all players could get game time under their belts in the lead up to next week’s trial match against the Melbourne Rebels on the Gold Coast.
The pre-season trial match marked the end of fantastic week on the club’s South West Community Engagement Tour with plenty of regional rugby fans watching the men in action.
1/3:
The Perth Spirit shot out of the blocks going on the attack early but were held at bay thanks to some strong defence from the Force in particular new recruit Bill Meakes.
Eventually the Spirit made their time on the ball count with Richard Hardwick going in under the posts after a series of phases. Ian Prior made no mistake to put the Spirit ahead 7-0.
Constant pressure from the Spirit lead to another set of strong phases before Alex Newsome put on some incredible footwork to slice through the defence and score under the posts. Ian Prior again nailed the extras to have the Spirit in front 14-0.
2/3:
After a linebreak from Ryan Louwrens, the Force put together some strong phases before sending it wide, where James Verity-Amm crossed for the Force’s first of the afternoon.
Verity-Amm quickly secured his double going over thanks to a spectacular linebreak following a penalty on the halfway line bringing the score back to 14-10 in favour of the Spirit.
Richie Arnold made his presence felt with a big shot but was sent to the bin just before the break after it was deemed a dangerous tackle.
3/3:
The final interval saw the coaching staff make a host of changes with the majority of the Spirit players moving across to the Force team while Future Force Foundation products and Western Force Under 20’s players came into the game for the Spirit.
With an almost entirely new group suiting up for both teams the scores mattered little as both teams looked to get quality minutes into their legs.
James Verity-Amm went in for his hat-trick late in the final third after running onto a perfectly weighted grubber kick from Chance Peni. A successful conversion from Peter Grant put the Force ahead by three points.
After a brilliant smother Anaru Rangi scooped up the loose ball before finding Alex Newsome and the young gun did the rest, going over for the try to seal a 22-14 victory for the Force.

News & Media

https://www.westernforce.com.au/article/western-force-vs-perth-spirit-third-third
Logo_Fugro_Colour.png

NS_original%5BCMYK%5D.jpg

Pursuit%20of%20Excellence_CMYK%20%282%29.jpg

healthway_ATA-01-whitebg.png

Etixx_2013_CMYK_BLACKonWHITE_0.jpg

blk_b.png

CDDODD.png

Pindan_b.png

Belt%20Up%20-%20new%20one%20%282%29.jpg

dsr-logo_0.jpg

todd4

Dave Cowper (27)
Big names unscathed in Force-Spirit trial

Yesterday at 10:22 PMSuper Rugby
170128-matt-hodgson.ashx
Matt Hodgson returned from injury for his first game since the 2016 Super Rugby season. Photo: True Spirit Photography

beth_newman.ashx

by Beth Newman
It was a match of discovery rather than rivalry in Busselton as the Force played out a 22-14 trial match win against Perth Spirit.
Players were switching sides, with no benches named for the intraclub trial, giving Force coach Dave Wessels his first look at a number of new faces in a match setting.
In good news for the Force, Matt Hodgson and big-name recruit Tatafu Polota-Nau made it through their injury returns unscathed, nine days out from the Force's next preseason test..
A hat-trick to South African-born Force Academy player James Verity-Amm sparked the Force’s comeback, as the club’s next generation pushed their credentials.
170128-tatafu-polota-nau.ashx
Tatafu Polota-Nau made it through his first outing unscathed. Photo: True Spirit PhotographyIn the opening stages, it was the Spirit side on top with NRC player of the final Richard Hardwick crossing early and Australia U20s player Alex Newsome stretching the Spirit’s advantage to 14 points.
Verity-Amm snatched one back and five minutes later, the fullback had his second, making the margin a four-point gap at the break.
Midway through the second half, he made it three for the night and gave the Force their first lead of the game.
Newsome had swapped sides by the end of the match, scoring the final try for the Force to give them a 22-14 win.
While the match showed off some of the franchise’s new recruits, how the Force will look come Super Rugby time remains to be seen, with a handful of high-profile players still working their way back from injury.
Prop Francois Van Wyk was added to that list on Saturday, suffering a lower leg injury, while winger Marcel Brache copped a head knock.
Their next preseason outing will be a February 6 trial against the Rebels on the Gold Coast.
FINAL SCORE

Western Force 22
Tries: Van-Amm 3, Newsome, Cons: Grant
Perth Spirit 14
Tries: Hardwick, Newsome, Cons: Prior 2

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Very interested in Naisarani playing lock. Could have been to get all the numbers on the park, but could also reflect intention.

I'll take it with a grain of salt as Rangi played 6.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
I think Matt Philip is about the only actual lock. RHP is more of a 6/8. Havili converted from backrower to wing back to backrower but played NRC and the trial as a lock. I'm guessing its just making up the numbers re: Naisarani. I guess its a possibility he gets converted into a shorter lock or bench utility forward. McCalman played a handful of games at lock back in 2010 and he is shorter and lighter than Naisarani.

EDIT: I was really impressed with what I saw of Vaea Fifita this year and his dimensions are almost exactly the same.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think Matt Philip is about the only actual lock. RHP is more of a 6/8. Havili converted from backrower to wing back to backrower but played NRC and the trial as a lock. I'm guessing its just making up the numbers re: Naisarani. I guess its a possibility he gets converted into a shorter lock or bench utility forward. McCalman played a handful of games at lock back in 2010 and he is shorter and lighter than Naisarani.

EDIT: I was really impressed with what I saw of Vaea Fifita this year and his dimensions are almost exactly the same.

Where's Ben Matwijow? Obviously, Coleman is resting up, and rightfully so.

With the squad you have at some point you're going to have to run Naisarani or RHP (or even Havili) at lock. It may as well be on your terms and you may as well build some of your systems around it. Be dynamic, employ short line-outs. Why the hell not?

It worked reasonably well for the Rebels with Timani, and he turned into a test 8 despite it.

However, are Grayson Knapp or Riley Winter kicking about? They both looked reasonable enough, I'd be surprised if you couldn't get some solid time out of one of them with investment.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
I am guessing Matwijow was one of the injured players mentioned elsewhere. I'd imagine either he or RHP would partner Coleman with the other to fill the bench 19 jersey. RHP was solid in the last Super Rugby and performed well in the NRC. Philip was good enough in the few games he played last year. No idea how Richie Arnold would go.

I'd not complain at Naisarani being given a run at lock. As mentioned about Vaea, it seems like the Kiwis are moving more toward having one slightly shorter, more dynamic lock of the pair and they are setting the pace at the moment.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Apparently, JP Smith is kicking around in Qld.

Considering the Force's love of South Africans, he would surely be a good get.

Shaker

Ron Walden (29)
Very interested in Naisarani playing lock. Could have been to get all the numbers on the park, but could also reflect intention.

I'll take it with a grain of salt as Rangi played 6.

A few injuries and players not playing and 4 fit hookers in a trial match. Nothing to look into.

Shaker

Ron Walden (29)
Where's Ben Matwijow? Obviously, Coleman is resting up, and rightfully so.

With the squad you have at some point you're going to have to run Naisarani or RHP (or even Havili) at lock. It may as well be on your terms and you may as well build some of your systems around it. Be dynamic, employ short line-outs. Why the hell not?

It worked reasonably well for the Rebels with Timani, and he turned into a test 8 despite it.

However, are Grayson Knapp or Riley Winter kicking about? They both looked reasonable enough, I'd be surprised if you couldn't get some solid time out of one of them with investment.

Grayson Knapp is just a club players and Riley Winter is in Scotland/Ireland along with a couple of other former Future Force players.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Grayson Knapp is just a club players and Riley Winter is in Scotland/Ireland along with a couple of other former Future Force players.

He started some Spirit games and did alright. Is he doing the preseason with the team? In Melbourne, a player like him would be.

That's a shame re: Winter.

I'm more and more surprised the Force didn't throw some good coin at McDuling. Perhaps they tried and failed.

Shaker

Ron Walden (29)
He started some Spirit games and did alright. Is he doing the preseason with the team? In Melbourne, a player like him would be.

That's a shame re: Winter.

I'm more and more surprised the Force didn't throw some good coin at McDuling. Perhaps they tried and failed.

Most Spirit players dont do preseason with the Force, only players that do preseason are contracted, Wider Training squad players and before christmas they had a bunch of NRC players training for a contract that Newsome got.

A bunch of Spirit players actually followed a coach over to GPS in the Brisbane comp.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Most Spirit players dont do preseason with the Force, only players that do preseason are contracted, Wider Training squad players and before christmas they had a bunch of NRC players training for a contract that Newsome got.

A bunch of Spirit players actually followed a coach over to GPS in the Brisbane comp.

Interesting. I presumed the Melbourne method was reasonably normal (because I know NSW and Qld do something similar) in which you invite a number of promising players to do preseason, house them, and pay them some $$$ (not much).

The player gets exposure and professional level coaching/conditioning, and the club gets another body at training (essential for drills requiring a lot of people) and a ready-made future signing (particularly great for if injury strikes midseason)

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
be interesting to see if he takes the field this year.

most injury plagued player I have seen except for Aiden Toua in his 7 years at the Reds

Status
Not open for further replies.