• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Western Force 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Foes Cummins offer more there than Dellit? I don't think so. Anyone have any intel on how Shepherd is traveling? As he slows there's a part of me that would like to see him have a run at 12. A strong runner, solid tackler, good boot.

Is Dellit the only other fullback in the squad though?

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Cummins has been playing at fullback in the off season. So he is the backup #15.

As for the centres... IMO Dellit will be our #13, and in #12 we will see one of the new young signings.

I have no idea what the coaches are thinking though, might need to wait for the warm-up games to get a good idea of the backline.

T

tranquility

In the long run, I think Winston Stanley will be much better than Gene Fairbanks. I will be very interested in seeing how he goes in the preseason.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Longbottom is significantly better than Cowan despite what Robbie thinks.

Longbottom is a set piece prop. Deans obviously regards the set piece in the same light as E. Jones did, he just hasn't said so. Anybody denying that this is the case please explain the selection of the props over the last two to three years who are nowhere near the best available in their positions in Oz for the set piece. I hope to see a return to a selection policy where the best player in a position gets selected, with a focus on core duties for that position (which for the piggies means the set piece is a big part). I know its a vain hope I know.......

I think the Force will have a very good set piece again this year and hope to see them near the top of the competition. With their backline stocks I think the finals may be a step too far if injuries strike.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I think the force can have a pretty good set of backs and have bought pretty well and with a lot of flexibility

9 Brett Sheehan / Justin Turner /James Stannard
10 Willie Ripia / James Stannard / Ben Seymour
12 Winston Stanley / Rory Sidey / Gene Fairbanks / Will Tupou
13 Pat Dellit / Jordan Rapana / Rory Sidey / Nick Cummins
11/14 Napolioni Nalaga / Nick Cummins / Cameron Shepherd / Alfie Mafi / Rory Sidey
15 Cameron Shepherd / Pat Dellit / Ben Seymour

9 Brett Sheehan
10 Willie Ripia
11 Nick Cummins
12 Winston Stanley
13 Pat Dellit
14 Napolioni Nalaga
15 Cameron Shepherd

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
If Nalaga is in the same form as when he played for Clermont, he's going to be a sensational acquisition. He topped the try scoring tally for the Top14 when he was in France.

T

tranquility

He also has good detail to his game in terms of positioning himself well in both attack and defense, reasonable get out of trouble boot, and just generally reads the game well. I kept an an eye on him at the WC after I heard he was coming over to West.

todd4

Dave Cowper (27)
I think the force can have a pretty good set of backs and have bought pretty well and with a lot of flexibility

9 Brett Sheehan
10 Willie Ripia
11 Nick Cummins
12 Winston Stanley
13 Pat Dellit
14 Napolioni Nalaga
15 Cameron Shepherd

I think your on the money there with that backline, fatprop. I think RG will still look upon Ripia as his starting ten. He had a terrible season this year with that foot injury that just took forever to heal, but right at the end of the season we saw what he is able to produce and he looked pretty sharp.
One of Ripia's best assets is his long cut-out pass and Cummins, Delitt, Nalaga & Shepherd are all powerful runners and if our forwards can win us our fair share of the ball I'm looking forward to seeing some exciting running rugby.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
What positions has Will Tupou been recruited to cover? When he was at school he was a very damaging centre, and I thought he might go on to a very high senior level in that position. He oviously chose League straight out of school, but I wonder whether he can still realise some of that potential? If he can he will definitely challenge for a starting spot.

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
Will T played 13 at BSHS I think with Andrew McCullough of the Broncos inside him at 12.

Wraps on him at the time were that he was a big ball carrier with great feet as well, coupled with quality defence. Didn't really see him get the ball much at the cowboys last year which was disappointing so cant comment whether or not he still has the goods.

Should play 12 and 13.

todd4

Dave Cowper (27)
The game I saw him play for the Cowboys he was on the wing so I assumed he was recruited as a wing but on the Western Force official website under 'player profiles' he is listed as a centre, you learn something everyday...

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Graham is contemplating giving Pocock the captaincy.
Thoughts?

Wouldn't be a bad idea as Sharpe will leave at the end of next season and Pocock is off contract, could be a good negotiating tool in re-signing him.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
In my opinion that would be the correct decision.

Make the transition now while Sharpe is still there for support.

I still think the Rebels are mad for letting Mortlock keep the captaincy when I would be doubting his guaranteed place in the starting XV...

T

TOCC

I think there is a difference between the club captain, and the team captain, they may not necessarily always be the same person..

Horwill was the appointed captain throughout 2010 even though Genia was the captain listed on the lineup.. Likewise I think Mortlock and Sharpe are both examples of been club captains in 2012 but may not necessarily be the best suited team captain...

I was captain at my club for a few years, but one of the older blokes was the club captain, upholding traditions, standards etc

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I think Graham has already made a mistake by talking about it in the media without talking to Sharpe first.

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
I think Graham has already made a mistake by talking about it in the media without talking to Sharpe first.

I would be surprised if he hasn't already, just because he is saying that publicly doesn't mean it hasn't been discussed. Sharpie may be off, but he would have a phone.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Who would replace Morty? It is a bit different at the Rebels as they are still unsettled. What they need is to be settled on is their choice of vice and be grooming him for the next step up. This is a great move for the Force and it suits their situation. Sharpe is a good clubman and he will take this as it is intended and not as an insult. It is nothing but a smart move on their part.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Who would replace Morty? It is a bit different at the Rebels as they are still unsettled. What they need is to be settled on is their choice of vice and be grooming him for the next step up. This is a great move for the Force and it suits their situation. Sharpe is a good clubman and he will take this as it is intended and not as an insult. It is nothing but a smart move on their part.

Gareth Delve maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.