• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs vs Sharks. Sydney.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
the gambler said:
Really have to disagree with all of this Mowen love. Yes he has played fairly well but I dont think he has been exceptional. His jumping at 2 is very handy but Dennis should be able to offer something similar, and I believe Dennis will provide more around the field. He was heavily involved in a few of the counter rucks against the bulls and I think will provide some strong ball running now he is at 6.

OK, so he is better than Mowen? - great! In that case the Tahs are spoilt for choice.

P

PhucNgo

Langthorne said:
the gambler said:
Really have to disagree with all of this Mowen love. Yes he has played fairly well but I dont think he has been exceptional. His jumping at 2 is very handy but Dennis should be able to offer something similar, and I believe Dennis will provide more around the field. He was heavily involved in a few of the counter rucks against the bulls and I think will provide some strong ball running now he is at 6.

OK, so he is better than Mowen? - great! In that case the Tahs are spoilt for choice.

Ok all you boiler room experts, if we're talking about putting our best foot forward, why would you not pick Caldwell and Douglas as locks, with Mumm playing at 6 (which IMHO is his best posy)? This would allow you to be combative at the breakdown for the first 50-60 and bring on the more "nimble" guys at the back end?

Discuss.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
BRIX said:
16. Damien Fitzpatrick (Eastwood)
17. Sekope Kepu (Randwick)
18. Will Caldwell (Sydney University)
19. Ben Mowen (Randwick)
20. Josh Holmes (Warringah)
21. Kurtley Beale (Northern Suburbs)
22. Rob Horne (Southern Districts)

I always think you can judge sides by their bench, that is pretty solid

Mate, I agree with you if your talking 'big picture' and a long, gruelling season. But it doesn't mean shit when you're down 27 points with 30 minutes to go. Trust me

Maybe not from 27 points but for a few season with Link, having Palu, Robinson, Sheehan & Nau etc rolling in off the bench and adding intensity won the Tahs games.

It is a 22 man sport these days.

R

Rugby Rat

Re: Waratahs vs Fush 'n Chups

Lindommer said:
Who's going to see the sardines get canned? First home game of the year, I think a beer, or two, is called for.
Might go and see this one.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Rugby Rat said:
Lindommer said:
Who's going to see the sardines get canned? First home game of the year, I think a beer, or two, is called for.
Might go and see this one.

Table for 10 booked at the Fox & Lion for after the match. Usual spot, in the far left corner as you walk in. Blue, TR, RR, Moses, Mrs M + the GTT groupies, expect to see you all there.

I asked nicely, Moses, but no amount of pleading could convince them to put Trafalgar Pale Ale on for the night. :'( :'( :'(

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
PhucNgo said:
Langthorne said:
the gambler said:

Ok all you boiler room experts, if we're talking about putting our best foot forward, why would you not pick Caldwell and Douglas as locks, with Mumm playing at 6 (which IMHO is his best posy)? This would allow you to be combative at the breakdown for the first 50-60 and bring on the more "nimble" guys at the back end?

Discuss.

I would normally agree but I dont know if Caldwell has returned to full fitness. He was blowing hard in the Reds game despite spending a lot of time in the blood bin and didnt have his usual impact against the Stormers.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Yeah Caldwell lost something 20kgs (?) last year through sickness, he will take time to get back his legs

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Of the locks and flankers I've seen so far this season, my preference is Mumm and Douglas (minus the 'sidestep') in the second row, and Waugh and Mowen as breakaways. Palu is the obvious first choice 8. Caldwell could well become a starter again when he is back to his best, and Dennis would be the other reserve (or if he really is better than Mowen - it shouldn't surprise me Hickey hasn't played him - they could swap). I am of the opinion that you start with your best available 15 every game, but I accept that there are other feasible options.

I am slightly concerned about reserves and replacements for Waugh and especially Palu, should the need arise - who do the Tahs have who can play 7 and 8?

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
NTA said:
If we can get to important matters for a minute: Dan Palmer needs game time.

Strongly agree.

However, some time for him to hit the weights room and nothing else surely wouldn't go astray for a young prop.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Weights will get you to a point. You need to get competition game time and be able to anchor that scrum when you're out of breath and sore from getting hammered at ruck time.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
NTA said:
Weights will get you to a point. You need to get competition game time and be able to anchor that scrum when you're out of breath and sore from getting hammered at ruck time.

Like most sports, theres no practise like match practise.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I agree whole-heartedly. But he is a young man and could be a mean player later on in his career if conditioned right.

Look at Issac Ross. Awesome player, not quite well conditioned enough. This held him back more so than his skill and now he is having to play catchup.

Cyril Towers (30)
Palmer doesn't need any more weights time. He is amazingly strong for a 21 yo. In the Waratahs "strong man" competition he has won the benchpress component for the last 2 years. They have to bench their own weight. Last year he won it with 17 reps, this year he broke his own record by lifting 115kg 24 times.
Get him on the paddock and let him smash a couple of LHPs.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Palmer doesn't need the gym. He needs to play somehwere where he gets onto the park. Very impressive for one so young.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I agree. Although Baxter is playing well Palmer should get a start for the Lions game with Baxter on the bench. I would also play Kepu and give Robinson a full week off to rest his shoulder. Only risk is that either Palmer or Baxter would have to go to LHP if Kepu got injured, but I think that risk is worth taking. If TPN's hammy is still iffy I would give Fitzpatrick a run with TPN on the bench, either against the Lions or the Force.

In my opinion, Kepu-Fitzpatrick-Palmer would best at least half the Super 14 front rows. We are so blessed for talent.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Hawko said:
In my opinion, Kepu-Fitzpatrick-Palmer would best at least half the Super 14 front rows. We are so blessed for talent.

yep, its pretty impressive.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Just watched back Crusaders v Sharks. Very nervous now... The Sharks looked like they were just missing one or two decent opportunities to change the game.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Idiot moment: two in the bin and keep calling for scrums 5m out and eat up you two man advantage. Then engage early and give Kankow an intercept try. He wasn't offside as far as I could tell as he went forward after the tap down.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Looks like the return of the horrortahs as the Sharks dominate with two men in the bin. Tom Carter is having an awful game on attack and needs to back himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.