• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs vs Lions. Sydney.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Unchanged Tahs line-up to take on the Lions

The HSBC Waratahs have named an unchanged line-up for Friday’s round five Super 14 clash against the Lions at the Sydney Football Stadium.

The Tahs returned from South Africa last week to record a win in their first home game of the season, and will be aiming to move into a positive win-loss record against the Johannesburg-based franchise.

Head coach Chris Hickey said the team knows they will be in for a tough encounter against a Lions side which is renowned for its attacking game.

“We copped a scare against the Lions at Ellis Park last year and they certainly showed against the Chiefs in round two that they have a lot of points in them,” said Hickey. “That said, we’re going into this match confident of a strong attacking performance and we’re hoping to give the crowd at the SFS a great showing on Friday night.”

Hickey said the squad would be looking to move up a gear from last weekend’s victory with the comfort of not having to endure a week of travel.

“Effectively, we’ve spent seven weeks on the road when you include our pre-season in Lismore, Orange and Canberra, then starting the tournament in Brisbane, Cape Town, Pretoria and a long trip back to Sydney,” said Hickey. “While we were happy to get away with the win against the Sharks, we know there are a number of areas we need to improve this weekend.

“We’ve shown glimpses of our potential at times this season, but as a group we know we need to cut out the errors in execution, make good decisions on the run and put it together for a full 80 minutes.

“While we took advantage of the opportunities we had at the start of the Bulls game, we didn’t do that last week and we need to improve in that area from the first whistle.

“If we can do that, we’ll be giving ourselves the best chance of turning in a better performance and really start to build momentum moving into the middle part of the season.”

2010 Super 14 – Round 5
HSBC WARATAHS V LIONS
Friday 12 March 2010 (Kick-off 7:40pm AEDT)
Sydney Football Stadium

HSBC WARATAHS
15. Sosene Anesi (TBA)
14. Lachie Turner (Eastwood)
13. Tom Carter (Sydney University)
12. Berrick Barnes (Sydney University)
11. Drew Mitchell (Balmain)
10. Daniel Halangahu (Sydney University)
9. Luke Burgess (Sydney University)
8. Wycliff Palu (Manly)
7. Phil Waugh [c] (Sydney University)
6. Dave Dennis (Sydney University)
5. Kane Douglas (Southern Districts)
4. Dean Mumm (Sydney University)
3. Al Baxter (Northern Suburbs)
2. Tatafu Polota-Nau (Parramatta)
1. Benn Robinson (Eastwood)
Reserves
16. Damien Fitzpatrick (Eastwood)
17. Sekope Kepu (Randwick)
18. Will Caldwell (Sydney University)
19. Ben Mowen (Randwick)
20. Josh Holmes (Warringah)
21. Kurtley Beale (Northern Suburbs)
22. Rob Horne (Southern Districts)

Newb

Trevor Allan (34)
better odds:

tahs scoring 4 tries or hickey getting shit-canned at halftime

it's one or the other. hopefully :eek:

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Wher do I queue for the Fire Hickey Club?.... he doesn't even watch the game his team is playing.

He's picked Anese again who has not made a linebreak yet, Carter who can't run attack lines or put his winger away, Barnes who doesn't know what to do, kept Mowen on the bench and consigned Nadolo, Betham, Palmer and Sidey to the Brumby Runners game, never to be seen again. TPN and Robinson are both carrying injuries and need a rest. Every one of the forwards who dropped one or more restarts has been kept on.

Watching the first half again it is obvious that Weismantel should be charged with fraud - clearly he has not been doing any backs coaching whatsoever. None of the backs knew what to do to break the line, not one set move was used, blind side wingers never entered the line or ran decoys and when the Sharks were two men short we could not find one hole to run through.

Incredible!

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
just watched the waratahs train for half n hour on my way to uni. (they were playing semi contact)
Turner was at fullback the whole time with anesi on the reserve team, mitchell and someone i didnt recognise were on the wings.
barnes was playing 13 with horne at 12 and beale at ten, beale and hangers were swapping though from reserves to full team.

not much else happening forward pack was the same. lots of wide ball for those playing along at home and alot of training of short kicking plays in behind the line for mitchell and turner to chase.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
If the teams been announced with Anese at fullback, what the heck are they doing training with a different backline? Is Hickey playing mind games?

If you didn't recognise the other winger it would have been Betham or Sidey I guess. Nadolo is very hard to miss.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
it might well have been sidey, it wasnt betham.
they had already been training for some time when i walked by so they may well be testing out other combinations.
TPN was killin git still though, he was putting on hits in training like he was on sat.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Keeping last week's team is inexplicable both from a form and rotation point of view.

This game could be a banana skin for the Tahs. Out of form players may try to play the Lions at their own 7s type game, learning on the job so to speak, and start running into each other. The Lions did some good stuff against the Brumbies even though they benched many of their regular starters.

But if the Tahs do play an expansive game and the Lions don't play their best, the Tahs could have a good win. This may disguise some of the problems the players have been having as individuals and as team players also. They could end the game smelling like roses but still be manure.

waratahjesus said:
just watched the waratahs train for half n hour on my way to uni. (they were playing semi contact)

Were they practising restarts?

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Lee Grant said:
Keeping last week's team is inexplicable both from a form and rotation point of view.

This game could be a banana skin for the Tahs. Out of form players may try to play the Lions at their own 7s type game, learning on the job so to speak, and start running into each other. The Lions did some good stuff against the Brumbies even though they benched many of their regular starters.

But if the Tahs do play an expansive game and the Lions don't play their best, the Tahs could have a good win. This may disguise some of the problems the players have been having as individuals and as team players also. They could end the game smelling like roses but still be manure.

waratahjesus said:

Were they practising restarts?

i really dont think rotation can come into it when it is obvious that they dont have good combinations yet, would only ad to the clusterf@#k.

they where practising running with alot of short kicking options as i said above, lots of cross field kicking.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
waratahjesus said:
they where practising running with alot of short kicking options as i said above, lots of cross field kicking.

It would be easier to just drop Carter rather than hoof the thing over his head all the time, no? :fishing

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Blue said:
waratahjesus said:

It would be easier to just drop Carter rather than hoof the thing over his head all the time, no? :fishing

ahh, blue, even in fishing you missed the point, the short kicking game means there putting the ball infront of him, kick chasing is one of his 100 best talents.

can you also check how many arabs are in parramatta for me?

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
waratahjesus said:
Blue said:
waratahjesus said:

ahh, blue, even in fishing you missed the point, the short kicking game means there putting the ball infront of him, kick chasing is one of his 100 best talents.

can you also check how many arabs are in parramatta for me?

You said:

lots of cross field kicking.

Really, you shouldn't hang around the practice field. Go straight to Uni next time.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Un-beeeee-lievable team selection. its like a cryptic puzzle that I will spend between now and Friday trying to solve.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
:banghead

waratahjesus said:
TPN was killin git still though, he was putting on hits in training like he was on sat.

Hmmm....Maybe we can send some cash his way to ensure a few forced changes to the squad....

waratahjesus said:
i really dont think rotation can come into it when it is obvious that they dont have good combinations yet, would only ad to the clusterf@#k.

Always with that favorite of Hickeyisms "disrupting the combinations". I can't argue with the clusterfuck part though.

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
waratahjesus said:
i really dont think rotation can come into it when it is obvious that they dont have good combinations yet,

10 weeks preseason.
4 weeks competition.

I think that's enough time to figure shit out if you've got half a brain as coach. I'll cut the Tahs a deal: I'll do the job for half the pay Hickey has and deliver twice the entertainment of the rugby.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
NTA said:
waratahjesus said:
i really dont think rotation can come into it when it is obvious that they dont have good combinations yet,

10 weeks preseason.
4 weeks competition.

I think that's enough time to figure shit out if you've got half a brain as coach. I'll cut the Tahs a deal: I'll do the job for half the pay Hickey has and deliver twice the entertainment of the rugby.

agree with you, but i cant see anyone besides horne coming in that is going to be a better player than what we have out there, its just getting the game out of them thats the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.