• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs v Sharks, round 14, Saturday 16 May

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
QH, the ref isn't necessarily the sole judge of time. The relevant Law, 5.3, was changed in the early 2000s to allow a referee to "...delegate the duty to...the official time-keeper...". Most sensible refs in major matches delegate the keeping of time. In club matches it's often the case the home provide a time-keeper.

I've noticed over the years the time-keepers at the SFS are pretty poor watching the refs' time-out signals and let the match clock tick over unnecessarily, sometimes for up to 30 seconds. This could easily be solved by asking both teams to supply an official to sit with the official time-keeper.

That's all true, he may delegate, but he/she is the keeper of time i.e. he/she can't be overuled by a timekeeper or scoreboard clock. On the particular incident, it was poor refereeing to play the lineout as the Sharks had asked him and he specifically told them that it was half time and that affected the way in which they took the kick. The referee was not only well within his rights, but as a matter of fairness should have called half time and soon as the Sharks kicked the ball out. Fortunately this had no effect on the final result.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Beal and naiyaravora are welcome at the force if you don't want them. Would Kill for 2 guys like that over here
I'm sure that there are many people who will rsutle together some cash for a plane ticket for Beale. Then when you take that referendum to secede maybe he won't get picked in the Wallabies as he isn't playing in Australia.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
If his defensive read was better it wouldn't matter as much, but when he invariably misses it's like watching a battleship trying to turn around. Truthfully he's a one trick pony. It's an impressive trick but he's way too limited to even be mentioned in the RWC squad frame.

The comparisons with Jonah are racking up, not just with the running and size but his weakness in turning to chase a kick and getting beaten on the outside.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Along with Cyclo, for me it's Beale.

Foley's bit is to straighten the attack and keep the inside defence honest. Last night and last season he did it brilliantly.

Beale's role is then to unlock the wider spaces and exploit the midfield. Worked for the most part last year, but this year he's either running sideways, getting isolated, spilling the ball or chip kicking it away.

The problem is that the Tahs rely on a second wave wide play to get around rush D's and unlock Folau and Naiyaravoro. The second play maker is key to it.

As much as I'm a Horne fan, he's not the guy for it and I haven't seen enough of Carraro to say that he is either.

I think that Cyclo's right when he says they need to find a replacement for Beale at 12, I just don't know who. Lance might have been worth a try, but he's off to the Force next year and it's getting on in the season. I suspect they'll end up persisting with Beale and hope he regains the form of last year.

There's running threats all over the backline with Taqele, Folau, Foley, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), and Horne is also carrying strongly, so another facilitator like Lance is who I would go with, maybe, if I had to choose.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
That's all true, he may delegate, but he/she is the keeper of time i.e. he/she can't be overuled by a timekeeper or scoreboard clock. On the particular incident, it was poor refereeing to play the lineout as the Sharks had asked him and he specifically told them that it was half time and that affected the way in which they took the kick. The referee was not only well within his rights, but as a matter of fairness should have called half time and soon as the Sharks kicked the ball out. Fortunately this had no effect on the final result.

Hoffman apologised to the Sharks as they walked away from the sideline just after the half time hooter. He knew he'd made a mistake. Actually, two mistakes - one to call 1st half over and another to override that mistake after the no-ground-gaining kick from the Sharks.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I think that Cyclo's right when he says they need to find a replacement for Beale at 12, I just don't know who. Lance might have been worth a try, but he's off to the Force next year and it's getting on in the season. I suspect they'll end up persisting with Beale and hope he regains the form of last year.

There's running threats all over the backline with Taqele, Folau, Foley, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), and Horne is also carrying strongly, so another facilitator like Lance is who I would go with, maybe, if I had to choose.

Surely there are some half decent or better No 12s running around in SS> Ask Dave Beat for a name.

Longer term, Jim Stewart looked the goods in the U20s last year. Is he on the Tahs' books?

EDIT : Or as many on here will testify, the Tahs already have a ready made No 12 running around in the No 7 jersey.:)

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
If Kafe could have put on a South African accent, he could have been mistaken for a Sharks supporter. Quite sad from someone who is capable of excellent analysis.

Kafe seems capable of presenting excellent analysis, 5 days after the fact. It's been a long time since he provided anything informative in real time

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Longer term, Jim Stewart looked the goods in the U20s last year. Is he on the Tahs' books?

Stewart is one of a group of players who have been training with the Tahs in an non-contracted form for much of the pre-season and current season. I believe they are given some sort of allowance.

I expect he'll be contracted officially next year.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Beale's inability to either break the line or link up with his fellow backs when he has ball in hand is a handbrake on the Tahs performances this year. There have been far too few ensemble backline movements for a team with such talented players from 10 out. I'd be sorely tempted to bench Beale and start with Carraro next week. Big Taqele's also looking like a liability, his defensive shortcomings will have been noted by opposing coaches, I can only see more grief in coming matches.

Just once could we see how this backline functions, even if at the end of a match:

9. Phipps
10. Foley
11. Betham
12. Horne
13. Carraro
14. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
15. Folau

Taqele is a work in progress, his defensive decisions will improve. At the moment he does some good stuff and some average stuff.

Some of his defense creates turnovers - when he gets it right

And his ability to rumble bends defenses

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think it's pretty safe to say that Beale will remain at 12 for the Tahs and we just need to hope that his form improves.

Mostly it revolves around cutting down the errors.

I think his one on one tackling has been better in recent weeks and the criticism he got for rushing out of the line to go for the intercept when the Sharks scored was a bit over the top. They had three on one against him and an intercept was really the only way to stop the try.

He's a big confidence player so if the errors can drop a bit I think he'll start capitalising on a few of the half opportunities like he did last year so regularly. We need to hope so anyway, because I can't see Cheika attempting a substantial restructure at this point of the season.

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think it's pretty safe to say that Beale will remain at 12 for the Tahs and we just need to hope that his form improves.

I think his one on one tackling has been better in recent weeks and the criticism he got for rushing out of the line to go for the intercept when the Sharks scored was a bit over the top. They had three on one against him and an intercept was really the only way to stop the try.

He's a big confidence player so if the errors can drop a bit I think he'll start capitalising on a few of the half opportunities like he did last year so regularly. We need to hope so anyway, because I can't see Cheika attempting a substantial restructure at this point of the season.

i would have to pessimistically agree with you about the probability of change late in the season, but chieka would have to be thinking about fixing the bottleneck in the backline if we are any real hope for back to back titles.

but it's not just about him cutting down on the errors - opponents know exactly when to neutralise him, how many times in recent weeks have we seen him get isolated for a turn over? and not just because he was running upright?

Viking

Mark Ella (57)

I actually think it's his ineffective attack that is the problem. In the past some people could tolerate his errors and tackling because of what he offered on attack.

Like @A_Mutterer mentioned, the opposition have seemed to of worked him out, he is easily neutralised. He also seems to be trying to hard to create something, or indecisive at times, which the opposition is capitalising on. At times seems to actually be a liability on attack.

robboandrews7

Frank Row (1)
Yes, Hoffman had an absolute belter this game, but in his defence reffing is probably the hardest thing someone can do. i agree that that "forward pass" was backwards by a long shot and that HT call was a bit off, but saying that Hoff shoudn't ref super rugby for a while is a bit over the top. I mean, to everyone who isn't a South African rugby fan you'd know that Craig Joubert is about as one-armed as an amputee and he's reffing international. why would hoff be any different?

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Yes, Hoffman had an absolute belter this game, but in his defence reffing is probably the hardest thing someone can do. i agree that that "forward pass" was backwards by a long shot and that HT call was a bit off, but saying that Hoff shoudn't ref super rugby for a while is a bit over the top. I mean, to everyone who isn't a South African rugby fan you'd know that Craig Joubert is about as one-armed as an amputee and he's reffing international. why would hoff be any different?
To compare Hoffmann to Joubert show you up as a rugby expert. Its like comparing a mini with a Benz.

Lindommer

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Joubert's been one of the best referees going around the last five years, as an Australian rugby supporter I wouldn't complain about his performances. Peyper, Berry and Veldsman on the other hand.....

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Joubert's been one of the best referees going around the last five years, as an Australian rugby supporter I wouldn't complain about his performances. Peyper, Berry and Veldsman on the other hand...
Ja hel, Joubert is by far one of the best. To pick him out of the SA bunch is ?

I usually dont critise refs but surely Hoffman was just not up to it. I havent watch the Sharks match vs the Tahs, saw him coming down from the Stormers first tour match.

robboandrews7

Frank Row (1)
Joubert's been one of the best referees going around the last five years, as an Australian rugby supporter I wouldn't complain about his performances. Peyper, Berry and Veldsman on the other hand...

You do have to question his past games though, he does tend to get fairly one-sided.

Status
Not open for further replies.