• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs v Samoa Trial - Tamworth - 10th Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Watch out for 3. Sam Talaki. I rate him.

Another one to keep an eye on, LG, is David Hickey. He has a massive engine and has been doing a lot of extra conditioning with Johnny Lewis. Partly as a result of this he will be a more cool headed player this year, although he will still continue to push the boundaries of what it means to be aggressive.

SuperGrover

Darby Loudon (17)
Another one to keep an eye on, LG, is David Hickey. He has a massive engine and has been doing a lot of extra conditioning with Johnny Lewis. Partly as a result of this he will be a more cool headed player this year, although he will still continue to push the boundaries of what it means to be aggressive.

I don't know much about David Hickey, hopefully you can enlighten me Bruce.

I see he's listed at 8 for the game, but his physical size at 183 cm and 96 kg seems too small for him to play 8 at any higher level. From your description it sounds like their is a lot of fight in the dog, but even playing 'big' wouldn't make up such a size differential at Super Rugby level IMHO.

Does he possess the speed and game (or the potential to develop one) to play 7? Or will he be another highly rated (and valued) club rugby player who never quite seems to crack the next level?

sonny crockett

Allen Oxlade (6)
David Hickey is one pretty aggressive take no nonsense hombre, plays with a take no prisoner attitude. Have seen some video of him, his coaches think very highly of him.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
.....will he be another highly rated (and valued) club rugby player who never quite seems to crack the next level?

He played for Joeys in 2009 so that normally means he turns 21 in 2012 - so it's not bad to get to the Sydney Uni Ones in 2011.

He's a pit bull. Started a lot at hooker for Joeys as well as 7, and occasionally played outside centre.

sonny crockett

Allen Oxlade (6)
He's a pit bull. Started a lot at hooker for Joeys as well as 7, and occasionally played outside centre.
I certainly like what I have seen in the video cutups that have been sent to me. They have just turned another guy into a hooker down there at Uni, ex TSS lad.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
I don't know much about David Hickey, hopefully you can enlighten me Bruce.

I see he's listed at 8 for the game, but his physical size at 183 cm and 96 kg seems too small for him to play 8 at any higher level. From your description it sounds like their is a lot of fight in the dog, but even playing 'big' wouldn't make up such a size differential at Super Rugby level IMHO.

Does he possess the speed and game (or the potential to develop one) to play 7? Or will he be another highly rated (and valued) club rugby player who never quite seems to crack the next level?

I can remember the first conversation I ever had with David, SG, back in 2010 when he was playing 2nd Colts. I advised him to insist on only playing 7 as he did not have the height to play 6 or 8. It was obvious to me when I first saw him play that he was a future professional player and, in my opinion, a future Wallaby. I wouldn't worry about him wearing the 8 jersey; he will be on the ball all day. Coach Todd Louden is perfectly comfortable playing two 7s.

I have never understood why you need four jumpers in your lineout.

SuperGrover

Darby Loudon (17)
Thanks Bruce, LG and Sonny.

I'm glad to hear that young David is a real prospect. I will endeavour to keep an eye out, and might even make an effort to get to the game in person instead of relying on second hand accounts (as good as they are).

Status
Not open for further replies.