• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs v Rebels RD 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
That was one of the worst Super games I have seen the Tahs play since Foley left. The skills execution was below what I would expect from a 2nd XV. I had thought the Tahs would come second in the conference this year, but on their form of the last few games they will be third, but only because the Reds had Graham to start the season and his fingerprints remain on the team, and the Force have Foley who has absolutely no idea what a Rugby attack looks like.

I think the Brumbies are very lucky that the conference winner is guaranteed a finals place because against the NZ sides they have been shown up very well excepting the first week, which looks now like they far outperformed.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I'm still concerned about all Australian Super clubs picking rock stars out of school, but don't eventuate.
Just to be a hypocrite to myself I think the Tahs should have signed the Ala'alatoas and Sios straight out of school - but hey I have the luxury in hindsight.

I can beat you there, DB, I've been watching Scott, Michael and Allan since they were in under 9s, and I can say with the wisdom of foresight they should've been signed by the Tahs. Along with another Wests Junior Rugby product, Jack Debreczeni. It pisses me off mightily for all the work I did with WJR/West Harbour none of them are suiting up for the Tahs, especially the props.

Patrick Sio would've been a good squad member to come through when Cliffy finally departs.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
My Mumm could have played better than that - and she is 87 years old

That was my reasoning for his MOTM award: they looked around the press box for MOTM and someone muttered "My Mum!"

Another thing: Robinson the winger still runs the outside line like a winger. Needs to get in closer to the ball carrier to clean up the ruck or change the angle.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
That was one of the most appalling exhibitions of rugby I've seen for a very long time. A seemingly scratch crew of Waratahs played woefully, without interest, skill or commitment; any semblance of teamwork looked liked an optional extra. Where should I start?
  • The tight five are as weak as piss ATM. Scrums have been crap all year with the final ignominy a penalty at the death on Sunday to snuff out any chances of a comeback win. It'd seem Blades isn't up to the task, get Ledesma back pronto. Our locks are either halflings or pussycats, not a decent go-forward player among the lot of 'em.
  • The backrow performed as well as could be expected with the lack of effort from those in front of them, Holloway's looking like he's played Super Rugby for years and wouldn't look out of place in gold. I particularly like Dempsey's fearlessness, but, he's another 7 on the paddock. This team desperately needs a taller, heavier 6 to complement the 4/5/7/8 players selected. How about seeing what Hanigan can do and let Dempsey rip in the last 30 mins?
  • Phipps's passing was woeful. How many times can you hit the receivers' feet, Nick? Every time, Lindo!
  • For all his faults one thing Deans used to look for was a player's work rate off the ball, maintaining a structure after 6 or 7 phases was very important to the success of the Saders in their wins. The Tahs were a shambles in attack after two phases on Sunday.
  • To see professional rugby players drop so much ball was depressing to watch. WTF do they do in training? These sloppy performances must come from poor standards on the training paddock, with Gibson's history playing and coaching at the Saders this is mystifying.
  • This team doesn't have a wise old head in the leadership roles: the tactic on Sunday to continually bash the ball up two out was getting nowhere. Surely Hooper, or the brains trust in the stands, should've realised Plan B was called for. The Rebels repelled us with ease, there was a message there for Hooper et al. For the experienced pigs, Robinson, Mumm and Dennis, not to support young Hooper here speaks volumes.
Personnel-wise:
  • It'd seem there hasn't been sufficient thought put in to succession planning in a few positions, starting from #1. We are very weak in the tight five ATM (which makes watching the two Ala'alatoas, Sio and Coleman running around elsewhere particularly galling). We also need another scrummie and a coupla hefty centres, someone similar to Ryan Crotty. Sadly, the time has come to gently suggest to Ryan, Tilse, Dennis, Palu, Carraro and few others they should move on post haste. And the two new wingers need a stern talking-to to pull their fingers out or bugger off. I was very impressed with Guildford at the Wagga trial, he looked to get involved at every opportunity and was fast and skilful to boot, where'd that form go? I can now understand why he's had only one AB test plus a handful of clubs since. There are four very good young wingers (Clunies-Ross, Hutchinson, Jones and Kellaway) hanging around the Tahs, surely it's time to invest in some of them. Give young Kellaway a go and look what he produced, he's every bit as good as the two chosen before him.
  • Can someone find a dose of cement to get Lousi to harden the fuck up, he looks like he's trying to hide on the paddock at times. Years ago one of his team-mates would smack him one in a maul or scrum to fire him up, we need a volunteer to do the deed.
  • Apart from the wingers the time has come to give the younger members of the squad game time. I've been impressed with the efforts of Roach, Robertson, Dempsey, Holloway, Horwitz and Kellaway's cameo this year. All very promising.
I will say some positiveish things about the Tahs ATM:
  • The lottery of who plays where in the backs due to various injuries must've affected their teamwork and co-ordination. But, they're professional rugby players who all train together, supposedly. Surely there was some forward planning done for the possibility of injuries.
  • Robinson, Roach, Robertson, the back row and Horwitz performed reasonably well. I don't get the acrimony directed to young Horwitz, for all his inexperience I've been impressed with him, he covers 10 well, kicks competently and tackles as good as any other back (the missed tackle figure attributed to him is hard to fathom). He probably should be a benchie ATM with a brief to learn from Beale and Foley.
  • I can't help the feeling there's a decent team trying to emerge at the Tahs. Witness the second half comebacks against the Clan and Rebels. Would it be trite of me to suggest those on the bench who contributed to these revivals start next match? Oh, too simple, that's why I'm not a Super coach.....

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
The best Tahs' performance this season were those 25 minutes against Landers at the second half. The only hope in this mess

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I can beat you there, DB, I've been watching Scott, Michael and Allan since they were in under 9s, and I can say with the wisdom of foresight they should've been signed by the Tahs. Along with another Wests Junior Rugby product, Jack Debreczeni. It pisses me off mightily for all the work I did with WJR/West Harbour none of them are suiting up for the Tahs, especially the props.

Patrick Sio would've been a good squad member to come through when Cliffy finally departs.

Ha ha.
Yep, frustrates the shit out of me to.

I'm concerned we are missing out on players like that because for some reason we have signed players because of school boy status, or we have held onto players to long. Even worse when he have held onto bench players for to long.

But with 35 contracts available we need to manage
Starting team that can win.
Emerging Players for the future.
Then some positions take up 3 spots (often the front row) = 9.

Thing that destroys balance is politics.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Looking in from the outside, I'd say Lindommer has nailed it at Post No 267. I especially agree with his description of your locks. I really think the Tahs keep players on their books well after their best by dates, witness Palu, Robinson and Dennis for examples. All had their best days probably two or more years ago. Replacements for these players should have been blooded carefully over the past season or two, rather than now fishing around for new talent.

Holloway will be a Wallaby No 8 on his showings to date, but would probably have been better value as starting No 8 all of last year. Where are the up and coming locks? Mumm must also be nearing his summit, if not already over it. Will big Willy and Lousi be the answers in the second row. On what they've shown over a past year or so, I have doubts.

As far as scrummies go, for the sake of the Wallabies I hope that Phipps comes back into form as quickly as possible. If he does, and with the return of Beale and Horne to the side, all is not doom and gloom for the Tahs backline. But I do believe it is time to cull some of the forwards.

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
The best Tahs' performance this season were those 25 minutes against Landers at the second half. The only hope in this mess

Yeah but how much of that was the Highlanders going to sleep on a massive lead, making the Tahs look good? Plus the dubious try or two they were awarded. If they had been denied those then the fightback would have looked feeble at the end of the game.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Yeah but how much of that was the Highlanders going to sleep on a massive lead, making the Tahs look good? Plus the dubious try or two they were awarded. If they had been denied those then the fightback would have looked feeble at the end of the game.

But how much of the Highlanders success in the first half was due to the Tahs going to sleep as well?

I don't get the argument that the Tahs comebacks are somehow illegitimate, as the Landers/Rebels 'went to sleep' and let the Tahs into the game. It's just a one-eyed way to look at things- one side carved out their tries by great play, the other 'got lucky' when the opposition switched off.

It's not like they scored two late tries to lose 39-12.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Give the Tahs the benefit of the doubt as to the merits in their last 25 min comeback v landers.
But you can't ignore the first 40 where they were uncompetitive.
THAT,seems to be closer to their form line.
It's been said before,about this team & pretty much every other team in the world that's struggling for form.
You need your big men denting the defensive lines, after that comes patterns,styles speed,precision in execution etc.
The Tahs backs particularly rely on front foot ball.
Fix that,and I think it fixes a few other problems for this side.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Tahs and Aussie Rugby need bring back Mike Ala'alatoa and Patrick Sio. Young blood that can play for Australia and not guys like Ta'avao or Guildford

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Tahs and Aussie Rugby need bring back Mike Ala'alatoa and Patrick Sio. Young blood that can play for Australia and not guys like Ta'avao or Guildford

I can understand Guildford (I rate his style of workrate winger), less so Ta'avao

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Ta'avao is useless at the scrum, the main skill for his position. At least Guildford has cute tattoos and blue eyes :oops: :oops: :oops:

That's nothing new for the Tahs, we have a pretty good record of picking props who cannot scrummage. And keeping them employed for years. Doing what, I am buggered if I know.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
By my appraisal, these are the Aussie props playing overseas:

Michael Alaalatola (Crusaders, Super Rugby)
Paul Alo-Emile (Stade Francais, Top 14)
Sekope Kepu (Bordeaux, Top 14)
Kieran Longbottom (Saracens, Premiership)
Campese Ma’afu (Northampton, Premiership, Fiji Capped)
Salesi Ma’afu (Cardiff, Pro12)
Salesi Manu (Treviso, Pro12)
Jono Owen (Aukland, NPC)
Chris Seuteni (Albi, ProD2)
Lotu Taukeiaho (Aurrillac, ProD2)

Jerry Yanuyanutawa (Glasgow, Pro12, Fiji Capped)

I've not seen him play, but if tightheads remain sparse in Australia, Seuteni might be one to consider. Parramatta boy at 150kg+ when he moved to France. As far as I can tell, he's slimmed down, and at 25/26, if the money and the lifestyle isn't as important to him, he may be worth a punt.

Course, Longbottom I think is out of contract, the ARU could throw Kepus's $$$ at him as long as he signs for the Tahs rather than the Force, much like they did for Foley and the Rebels.

Status
Not open for further replies.