• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2022

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
They went hard at Arnold for a mid 2022 return (maybe back end of Super Rugby) but looks like he will continue with Toulouse.

If Rennie REALLY wants him then he can pick him anyway and I'm sure Arnold knows this. He's on massive money and only has a couple contracts left in him. He may well do a 1 year extension with Toulouse and do a Nic White and do a 2 year contract from overseas starting in 2024 and thus also be leigible for Aus at WC.

However with Arnold rejecting overtures, then there should be both appetite and cash for Skelton. I'd take a Rodda/Skelton starting combination very happily with a LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) or MP (Moana Pasifika) off the bench.

Waratahs to be the beneficiary of course.
I think that's a bit of a pipe dream to be honest. Rodda was a serviceable if not spectacular international quality lock and he had to cut his pay in half to come back here.

Guys like Skelton are so far out of our price range they don't even merit consideration.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
I think that's a bit of a pipe dream to be honest. Rodda was a serviceable if not spectacular international quality lock and he had to cut his pay in half to come back here.

Guys like Skelton are so far out of our price range they don't even merit consideration.

Rodda has no topup though which is considerable. RA didnt like him leaving so he'll be hoping for an upgrade for the 2023 season.

But yes - even though we have players on more then the 750k we offered Skelton last time, the next round of contracts are reducing in value so yep...more problems.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
and I genuinely reckon Knuckles would be keen and would have expressed interest.

He needs the money. No longer a Councillor.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I appreciate the pickings a bare, but for clarity, just no

yeah I get it. You don't want the 2nd most successful Wallaby coach of the professional era. Terrible idea. You guys should try to get Cheika again ...the least successful Wallaby coach of the professional era (not including the current one)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
yeah I get it. You don't want the 2nd most successful Wallaby coach of the professional era. Terrible idea. You guys should try to get Cheika again .the least successful Wallaby coach of the professional era (not including the current one)

It might just be me but I wouldn't be appointing someone who is almost 70 whose only coaching stint in the last decade was a short term role as a consultant with the Reds more than 5 years ago.

Do you seriously think Connolly (or anyone else who hasn't had a head coaching role for well over a decade) is a good option?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It might just be me but I wouldn't be appointing someone who is almost 70 whose only coaching stint in the last decade was a short term role as a consultant with the Reds more than 5 years ago.

Do you seriously think Connolly (or anyone else who hasn't had a head coaching role for well over a decade) is a good option?

no I don't...but I just don't want to raise the expectations of Tah fans that they will attract someone good.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
no I don't.but I just don't want to raise the expectations of Tah fans that they will attract someone good.

In all honesty, I don't think most people's perceptions about who is good are necessarily that meaningful.

I wouldn't be excited to sign Darren Coleman for example. He's done well at Shute Shield level and he's coaching by far the best squad in MLR but he's totally untested at this level. He may do well but he also might not.

I do think the Waratahs job is pretty enticing. If there is firm agreement that the salary budget will go back up then it should be easy for a new coach to improve things substantially.

I'd certainly lean towards a current coach like Coleman or Manenti than a veteran who everyone has heard of but has no recent experience like Connolly.

Froggy

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Reg, I appreciate as a Red you're standing up for a favourite son, but I think by any measure Knuckles is yesterday's man. And while you belittle Cheika's record (as is the popular position on GAGR), a record of two Shute Shield titles, taking Leinster from relegation to European Cup champions, a Super Rugby title and a World Cup final is a long way ahead of any of our current Super coaches and anyone likely to be in the running for the Tahs job. Yes, he stayed too long at the Wallabies, but still has a pretty exceptional record and the Tahs could do a lot worse.

No, we may not attract anyone good, but to me it doesn't look like a bad gig for an up and coming young coach with talent. You are taking a team who are at the bottom, but just starting to show a few green shoots, and full of talented 20 and 21 year olds whose only way is up. Very similar to the Reds when Thorn took them on I would suggest.

Alex Ross (28)
If Roger Davis resigns it is actually a top opportunity. The club is on its knees and would be at the mercy of the coach to allow him to turn things around. A bit like how Cheika had RA by the balls when he took on the Wallabies role after Links abrupt exit.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
To be clear, in no way do I think the Tahs should consider Knuckles. Nor should they. And to be clear I’ve never been a fan.

I do agree with BH - I think this will be a great gig to get. It’s the definitive buying low investment. With the RWC around the corner, star players will come home and many will be to the Tahs. Add that to a really exciting batch of young talent and any new coach is on a winner.

eastman

Colin Windon (37)
I wouldn't be excited to sign Darren Coleman for example. He's done well at Shute Shield level and he's coaching by far the best squad in MLR but he's totally untested at this level. He may do well but he also might not.
Absolutely - Coleman's success in an amateur competition very much needs to be put into context.

His MO has generally been to only go to clubs that are willing to invest heavily (in the squad and Coleman himself) which meant that he generally had a playing squad that was among the top in Shute Shield. When the clubs eventually turned off the tap, he'd then move on the next with a core group of players with him.

Not sure what makes him more qualified than someone who has seen success in more competitive (e.g. even) professional comp.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Christy Doran seems to like cloaking the interesting content in his stories beneath a clickbait headline - though I guess that's journalism 101 these days. John Connolly? Ha ha, good one, move along. But otherwise, a good review of who might be interested.

No mention of Rob Taylor - who would have to be interested. And IMO a very good choice

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
In all honesty, I don't think most people's perceptions about who is good are necessarily that meaningful.

I do think the Waratahs job is pretty enticing. If there is firm agreement that the salary budget will go back up then it should be easy for a new coach to improve things substantially.

I'd certainly lean towards a current coach like Coleman or Manenti than a veteran who everyone has heard of but has no recent experience like Connolly.
Right here is the main problem with coaching pathways in Australia, in that there aren't any.

What else is Coleman supposed to do but excel at club in the hopes of moving up? We have a system that pretty much necessitates all our potential coaches going offshore. Which is pretty mental really.

Not saying Coleman is good enough. I have NFI who is. But not having a basic development pathway is dumbo.