• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2021

Sheepie

Sydney Middleton (9)
Cron has ruled himself out of the job.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...m_medium=rss&utm_source=rss_sport_rugby-union
Cron, who left the Waratahs in 2019 to take up a head coaching job with Toyota Verblitz, had been flagged as a potential successor to Daryl Gibson before poor timing resulted in the Kiwi taking his services elsewhere.

Poor timing has struck once again, as Cron has recently resigned with Toyota.

“Unfortunately I’m out of the running for the Waratahs next year,” Cron told the Herald.

“I re-signed a few weeks ago with Toyota and in good faith I just couldn’t push things any longer. Timing is obviously a killer.“

People have said Coleman wasn't much of an option, but Tom Decent seems to suggest otherwise.
Darren Coleman, who coached Warringah and Gordon to Shute Shield titles recently, is with the LA Giltinis in US major League Rugby at the moment but sources close to the 48-year say he would entertain the position, particularly given he applied for the job that Penney ended up getting at the end of 2019.

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I believe the Shute Shield does play and important role in the overall structure of the game.

I think it is a valuable tool in developing coaches and keeping experienced heads around BUT it needs to ensure it isn't just the same old heads rolling around with the clipboard.

Some Kentwell clubs (Subbies 1st Division) would have done well to take the place of Penrith years ago, but there are two issues with that:

1) The Emus' desperately want to be there. To get the shit kicked out of them every week I suppose?
2) The Subbies clubs who could do it are happy in their paddling pool - much like the vaunted schools competitions who are scared to be truly great.

dru

David Wilson (68)
In terms of NSWRU (and for that matter whoever ends up as Waratah HC) - Winston Churchill said "it takes courage to stand up and speak". But he also once said "it also takes courage to sit down and listen".

Rugby in NSW will continue with it's disfunction unless the institutions that are rugby in that state can get the SRU on the bus. The same bus.

ShuteFan1

Peter Burge (5)
Cron has ruled himself out of the job.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...m_medium=rss&utm_source=rss_sport_rugby-union

People have said Coleman wasn't much of an option, but Tom Decent seems to suggest otherwise.

Have people looked at Colemans overall coaching record ? Did't he have some fairly average runs at Penrith ( to be expected ) , Norths and Easts ? The latter 2 being 2 well resourced clubs .
Did brilliant with Warringah and Gordon .
Warringah were a top 6 side but clearly took them next level . However 2 years post Coleman finished 9th ( yes GF after he left)
Gordon - incredible last to first . But if you believe the talk did have unlimited resources . Will be interesting to see how they go this year.

Someone far more knowledgable Im sure can tell the facts, but what is his overall coaching record and is the club better off when he leaves ?

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
Wow after sacking Penney everyone thinks
theend.gif

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)
I think it is a valuable tool in developing coaches and keeping experienced heads around BUT it needs to ensure it isn't just the same old heads rolling around with the clipboard.

Some Kentwell clubs (Subbies 1st Division) would have done well to take the place of Penrith years ago, but there are two issues with that:

1) The Emus' desperately want to be there. To get the shit kicked out of them every week I suppose?
2) The Subbies clubs who could do it are happy in their paddling pool - much like the vaunted schools competitions who are scared to be truly great.

I think they can play a significant role in the pathway. But not the be all and end all of it. There needs to be robust participation that focuses on development and inclusion. Offering options for social and competitive Rugby alike.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
John Manenti might be an option. He has a gig at the moment, Womens' Sevens. I know which one I would choose. :)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Er, which one?

He probably wants the gig that pays (I'd guess) about twice as much. That's why he's put his hand up for the Super Rugby head coach role.

The Tahs are a debacle but the head coaching role is going to be a desirable role for a lot of coaches and the player list could be turned around reasonably quickly by spending the necessary amount of money.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
He probably wants the gig that pays (I'd guess) about twice as much. That's why he's put his hand up for the Super Rugby head coach role.

The Tahs are a debacle but the head coaching role is going to be a desirable role for a lot of coaches and the player list could be turned around reasonably quickly by spending the necessary amount of money.

I am pretty sure Manenti is not in it for the money.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I am pretty sure Manenti is not in it for the money.

Whatever he's in it for, he's put his hand up because coaching the Waratahs is a "better" job than coaching the Women's 7s team.

It's the same reason Tim Walsh moved from the Women's team to the Men's. The Women's team were absolutely a better team but in terms of progressing his career, the Men's team is a more illustrious job.

Adam84

Rod McCall (65)
Whatever he's in it for, he's put his hand up because coaching the Waratahs is a "better" job than coaching the Women's 7s team.

It's the same reason Tim Walsh moved from the Women's team to the Men's. The Women's team were absolutely a better team but in terms of progressing his career, the Men's team is a more illustrious job.

I don't know if it's the "better" job BH, completely different jobs with different travel requirements and long term opportunities. Tim Walsh had achieved everything he could with the women's team, i think its a bit offensive to suggest the men's team coach is a more illustrious job. The Australian Womens Sevens Team has a much higher profile then the men's.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'm definitely making some assumptions but I would be surprised if there was pay parity between the head coaching roles.

Pay parity was introduced a couple of years ago between men's and women's 7s players (and Super Rugby players) but that was only at the lower end of the contracts. There was nothing in the CBA to confirm that there would be pay parity between the teams.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Would you choose the Tahs gig?
I wouldn't (obviously wouldn't be offered it either).

Manenti, on the fringe of pro rugby coaching, might see it as his one shot. Most in that position won't get a second go, so fair enough.

Tahs next appointee probably ends up being a burner coach, though.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

It should be a better time to be appointed than Gibson or Penney.

They're coming off an historic low and should have substantially more money to spend on players and have almost no restriction to current high priced dud contracts.

I think it's a good opportunity for any coach to be able to show a turnaround because a fair chunk of it should just come from having access to better players.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I wouldn't (obviously wouldn't be offered it either).

Manenti, on the fringe of pro rugby coaching, might see it as his one shot. Most in that position won't get a second go, so fair enough.

Especially so if that coach is not a hardened campaigner who can demand what he needs from the board