• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
To be fair to the Tahs, everyone, it is RA that pays a big chunk of these salaries.

There are players Australia need to lock in for the next two World Cups. Particularly in positions where depth is lacking. Guys are going overseas ahead of getting test caps.

With Rugby Australia's recent windfalls, it's a good opportunity to invest in Wallaby grassroots and Waratah green shoots.

There is a sweet five million being saved out of the former Western Australia allocation. That's each and every year due to cutting the Force – not this year, but at least next year.

This can easily keep a flanker or two in the top handful of pay packets in the world until 2023.
Can we not turn this thread into another moan fest.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I'm sure the powers that be will censure me if I spam the thread.

Report the post if you'd like to.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Interesting to see Foley is only rumoured to sign a one year extension with a Japan season being planned. Mack Mason will need to be up to speed

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Interesting to see Foley is only rumoured to sign a one year extension with a Japan season being planned. Mack Mason will need to be up to speed
Interested to see how Will Harrison progresses. I haven't seen much of him, but he has big wraps by those who have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Is nobody else impressed with the way Angus Sinclair plays and manages the Norths backline? Would he not be worth some consideration?

TheNorth

Allen Oxlade (6)
Is nobody else impressed with the way Angus Sinclair plays and manages the Norths backline? Would he not be worth some consideration?

I have always been impressed with both Sinclair brothers and it surprises me that they both haven't found a home either in super rugby or with the force.

In regards to Hooper's contract...I think that he needed to be signed, but if i was in RA's financial situation - i would never be spending big on Opensides. It is not really an area where we lack talent. If it was a number 8 on the other hand...

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
He's 28. No team is going to pick him as their 2nd or 3rd choice as by the time he might be ready to start he'd be a bit long in the tooth.

I don't know what he does 9-5 but he also might not want to be a minimum wage full time footballer at this age.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Thanks BH - the ever reliable response even if true. I did mention his age in another post on the subject and conceded it might be a factor against him. Funny though, that every time someone puts forward a young up and comers name, especially at 10, there seems to be a chorus calling for a more mature player from the SS or the Qld comp to be given a go.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I have always been impressed with both Sinclair brothers and it surprises me that they both haven't found a home either in super rugby or with the force.

In regards to Hooper's contract.I think that he needed to be signed, but if i was in RA's financial situation - i would never be spending big on Opensides. It is not really an area where we lack talent. If it was a number 8 on the other hand.

Yes, quite so. Come 2020, there will be Hardwick, Wright, McReight and any of the other already established No 7s who might return (Gill, Colby) or stay here (Pocock) playing. A position of some riches now and for the foreseeable future.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
The Tahs should chase Rodda. He's the only quality lock off contract for 2019 it seems.

They should sign him and then look to replace Simmons with Tui in 2020 when their respective contracts expire.
I thought it was a pity Richie Arnold went to Japan as thought he could have been a good pick up for the tahs

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I thought it was a pity Richie Arnold went to Japan as thought he could have been a good pick up for the tahs

He'd be an upgrade over Staniforth but I don't think he is in the class of the Wallaby locks.

I'd prefer to aim high than go for slight upgrades.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I'd defy anyone other than a family member to be able to distinguish between the two of them, on the field and off it. Rory is a proven test player, and Richie is as identical as it comes, in his play as well as his looks. Richie would have been an upgrade on all of the locks with the Tahs, and will be sorely missed at the Brumbies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I'd defy anyone other than a family member to be able to distinguish between the two of them, on the field and off it. Rory is a proven test player, and Richie is as identical as it comes, in his play as well as his looks. Richie would have been an upgrade on all of the locks with the Tahs, and will be sorely missed at the Brumbies.
The coaches appear to have worked out which one is better (the one who is staying with the ponies) The other struggled to make the bench

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Richie's error perhaps was coming to the Brumbies when Rory was already here. Exceptionally similar players, so odds were that only one would start, but remember that on an occasion or two, that one was Richie. Had he gone to another franchise, he possibly, maybe probably, would have started, or at least had more time off the bench. As well as being a physical goliath in terms of size and strength, he is a skilful ball playing lock who would have been very valuable to a franchise with an undersized pack.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
He's 28. No team is going to pick him as their 2nd or 3rd choice as by the time he might be ready to start he'd be a bit long in the tooth.

I don't know what he does 9-5 but he also might not want to be a minimum wage full time footballer at this age.

I think this is the issue with basically all late bloomers.

It's perfectly realistic for a 28-30yo to be putting away $80-120k, right? A 3rd-4th choice Super Rugby spot probably has a ceiling of $65k (and usually a lot less), plus disrupts momentum in your main career.

So unfortunately, it's often just not workable. Particularly if that $65k or less contract is in a different city where there's other costs and sacrifices.

Some blokes of course just want to play footy and this works for them. Power to them, but it's just not for everyone.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
He'd be an upgrade over Staniforth but I don't think he is in the class of the Wallaby locks.

I'd prefer to aim high than go for slight upgrades.

As long as he doesn't immediately drop to the ground as soon as he hits the line he'd be a major upgrade to Staniforth who doesn't even dominate in the club games I've seen him in. But yeah, if I had the choice between Arnold and Rhodda. I'd take Rhodda everyday of the week.

Status
Not open for further replies.