• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
I might have to make a trip down from Brisbane to watch the Brumbies play the Tah's out at Parra, seems like an awesome trip.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Waratahs playing 3 home games at the new Parramatta Stadium next year. Sharks, Jaguares and Brumbies.

Good move.

Maybe, but given the sizes of the crowd this year why not play every game there? The transport by train is brilliant from everywhere but the northern beaches and the transport to anywhere from the northern beaches is poor. Its a brand new stadium, the SCG is a huge pile of the proverbial for good rugby watching and what suburban grounds would be better? And just to be provocative, its the closest good stadium for western sydney.

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
Maybe, but given the sizes of the crowd this year why not play every game there? The transport by train is brilliant from everywhere but the northern beaches and the transport to anywhere from the northern beaches is poor. Its a brand new stadium, the SCG is a huge pile of the proverbial for good rugby watching and what suburban grounds would be better? And just to be provocative, its the closest good stadium for western sydney.
Stadium isn't opening until April

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

They are heavily incentivised to play some of the games at the SCG due to their stadium agreement with the SCG Trust.

I expect they will have three games there.

It should be better for the crowd than the Reds game this year because the setup will have the field close to one side of the SCG with people only sitting on that side.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Only 4 spots left???

Gibson is including players that haven't yet re-signed or been announced but are considered close to certainties to stay.

That list includes from what I can work out: Latu, JP Sauni, Hanigan, Dempsey, Maclean Jones, Beale, Foketi and Folau.

That would take the total contracts up to 31.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Waratahs 2019 preseason:

Dp0tKUPVAAEHsr5.jpg:large

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
Gibson is including players that haven't yet re-signed or been announced but are considered close to certainties to stay.

That list includes from what I can work out: Latu, JP Sauni, Hanigan, Dempsey, Maclean Jones, Beale, Foketi and Folau.

That would take the total contracts up to 31.

So not many changes from last year??

Who replaces Paddy Ryan?? A rookie?? Tom Robertson is out too so who replaces him???

Tahs need to strengthen their pack with size. The brumbies and rebels have and their forwards ran over the Tahs.

I hope some of these spots are big enforcers but Gibson says only one forward so doubt it.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
So not many changes from last year??

Who replaces Paddy Ryan?? A rookie?? Tom Robertson is out too so who replaces him???

Tahs need to strengthen their pack with size. The brumbies and rebels have and their forwards ran over the Tahs.

I hope some of these spots are big enforcers but Gibson says only one forward so doubt it.

Who would you change though? Who out of the list of players wouldn't you have re-signed?

They signed Rory O'Connor to essentially join the back of the queue to replace Ryan. They need someone more ready to replace the injured Tom Robertson though as that player will be in the matchday 23.

Hopefully they manage to sign Skelton. He would fill that size gap.

The reality is the shape of our forward pack and backrow in particular is somewhat cast in stone at this stage. We would be insane to no re-sign Dempsey or Hanigan to try and recruit a bigger backrower.

We'll hopefully start an all Wallaby backrow next year if everyone is healthy. We would be crazy to spend dollars recruiting in that area now.

The money will be better spent in other spots.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
Who would you change though? Who out of the list of players wouldn't you have re-signed?

They signed Rory O'Connor to essentially join the back of the queue to replace Ryan. They need someone more ready to replace the injured Tom Robertson though as that player will be in the matchday 23.

Hopefully they manage to sign Skelton. He would fill that size gap.

The reality is the shape of our forward pack and backrow in particular is somewhat cast in stone at this stage. We would be insane to no re-sign Dempsey or Hanigan to try and recruit a bigger backrower.

We'll hopefully start an all Wallaby backrow next year if everyone is healthy. We would be crazy to spend dollars recruiting in that area now.

The money will be better spent in other spots.

I would NOT have signed O'Connor 104 kg can't scrummage at Shute shield level.

I wouldn't keep jones we have enough light mobile back rowers replace him with a big Lock. Where do we get him from look for one. And don't leave it to the last minute. One big forward does not fix the size issue.

Look at the reds, rebels and brumbies, they have size and beat our pack. So did several other sides. The brumbies and rebels even strengthened their packs. The reason we have the problem is Gibson and his pack mentality. He loves light and mobile.

Last season the Tahs made the 8 after beating the lower sides and only beat one top 8 side. Big T saved the Tahs many times. He is gone. You need to improve a squad to go forward not keep it the same when you have deficiencies.

Skeleton is not available until after May when his contract expires and the English club are trying to keep him.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I would NOT have signed O'Connor 104 kg can't scrummage at Shute shield level.

I wouldn't keep jones we have enough light mobile back rowers replace him with a big Lock. Where do we get him from look for one. And don't leave it to the last minute. One big forward does not fix the size issue.

Look at the reds, rebels and brumbies, they have size and beat our pack. So did several other sides. The brumbies and rebels even strengthened their packs. The reason we have the problem is Gibson and his pack mentality. He loves light and mobile.

Last season the Tahs made the 8 after beating the lower sides and only beat one top 8 side. Big T saved the Tahs many times. He is gone. You need to improve a squad to go forward not keep it the same when you have deficiencies.

Skeleton is not available until after May when his contract expires and the English club are trying to keep him.

I wouldn't have signed Rory O'Connor either.

I'm not really sure about Jones. What's clear though is that he isn't going to be close to the matchday 23 and the money he is on wouldn't buy you a big backrower of any quality.

I just don't think the Tahs have the necessary dollars available to recruit a really big name and spending the money we do have available to push a Wallaby to the bench would be insane. A starting winger or 13 (which would push Rona to the wing) and a starting lock will make a far bigger difference to the team than a big backrower. In my opinion anyway.

I just don't see how the Tahs can fix the size issue in the pack when our best forwards are the ones that are a) small b) already contracted and c) amongst our best performers.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)

I'm not really sure about Jones. What's clear though is that he isn't going to be close to the matchday 23 and the money he is on wouldn't buy you a big backrower of any quality.

I just don't think the Tahs have the necessary dollars available to recruit a really big name and spending the money we do have available to push a Wallaby to the bench would be insane. A starting winger or 13 (which would push Rona to the wing) and a starting lock will make a far bigger difference to the team than a big backrower. In my opinion anyway.

I just don't see how the Tahs can fix the size issue in the pack when our best forwards are the ones that are a) small b) already contracted and c) amongst our best performers.

Which brings us back to the fact that as far as recruiting goes, we have a problem that has been three years in the making. When Cron takes over as head coach next year it will take him till at least the second year to restore power to the pigs by recruiting suitable replacements as contracts expire.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
That'd practically be a home trial for the Brumbies being only an hour from the capital. Hopefully both teams get out there a week before and start drumming up support at the local schools and facilities.

And about an hour and a half from the population centre of Sydney! Its a really good position for both. Now, if only we had a big Waratah following west of Parramatta.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)

Having a wallaby on the Bench insane??? The brumbies and most likely the rebels will be doing that.

Brumbies will have slipper on the bench a Wallaby experienced player off the bench

The Rebels will have experienced players off the bench and possibly Luke Jones or Matt Phillip off the bench.

A big lock and a few big props would be nice.

What impact will the Tahs have off the Bench?

Size is needed and if the money is spent then that is a poor recruitment and retention.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
Which brings us back to the fact that as far as recruiting goes, we have a problem that has been three years in the making. When Cron takes over as head coach next year it will take him till at least the second year to restore power to the pigs by recruiting suitable replacements as contracts expire.

Three years of Gibson recruitment and the Tahs wanted him for 2 more years.

Cheika believed in forwards AND backs. Gibson has his pointless mentality about his pack. It never worked.

I feel sorry for the next head coach.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Does anyone know what the current salary cap is? I think that a big problem for the Tahs is that there’s a lot of money invested in the Wallaby contingent, so bugger all left to entice new players on contracts that can complete with other franchises or OS

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Having a wallaby on the Bench insane??? The brumbies and most likely the rebels will be doing that.

Brumbies will have slipper on the bench a Wallaby experienced player off the bench

The Rebels will have experienced players off the bench and possibly Luke Jones or Matt Phillip off the bench.

A big lock and a few big props would be nice.

What impact will the Tahs have off the Bench?

Size is needed and if the money is spent then that is a poor recruitment and retention.

Looking at the needs of the squad though, is that really where you'd spend your money? In terms of incremental gains I think signing a top shelf backrower provides the least improvement compared to just about any other area of the team.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but I'm sure if Tom Robertson had got injured earlier the Tahs would have made a play for Slipper.

If the Tahs recruit a starting lock they will have Holloway and Miller on the bench in the forwards.

I agree that if you were starting with a blank slate you would clearly structure the squad differently. No one gets to do that though.

Three years of Gibson recruitment and the Tahs wanted him for 2 more years.

Cheika believed in forwards AND backs. Gibson has his pointless mentality about his pack. It never worked.

I feel sorry for the next head coach.

The chat here seems to suggest that the Waratahs were awful this year and significantly worse than the other Australian teams.

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)
And about an hour and a half from the population centre of Sydney! Its a really good position for both. Now, if only we had a big Waratah following west of Parramatta.

It's an hour and a half from where I live which is as far out as you can be and still technically be part of Sydney.

Status
Not open for further replies.