• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

gowaratahs

Sydney Middleton (9)
Waratahs 2017 - what we know

25 confirmed signings from 30 full contracts, with three further assumed (*). Four of the ten others from EPS, supplementary and development are also signed (**).

Here's a possible matchday 23, with assumptions following.

1. Ryan
2. Latu
3. Kepu
4. Skelton
5. Mumm
6. Dempsey
7. Hooper
8. Holloway
9. Phipps
10. Foley
11. Horne
12. Hegarty*
13. Folau
14. Naiyaravoro
15. Kellaway

16. Roach
17. Robertson
18. Ta'avao
19. Power
20. Hanigan*
21. Lucas
22. Horwitz*
23. Robinson

24. [HOOKER]
25. [LHP]
26. Sandell
27. Needs**
28. [LOCK]
29. [LOCK]
30. [LOCK]
31. Wilkin
32. Wells
33. [No.8]
34. [SCRUMHALF]
35. Deegan**
36. Simone**
37. Stewart
38. [WING]
39. Clark
40. Jones**

Former Tah Fitzpatrick who's now at the Rays would've been a good pickup at hooker if Latu showed promise at LHP, but that experiment seems to be over for now so he'll possibly head for the Force who surprisingly haven't yet signed any hookers for 2017. There's also room for another LHP, and I expect a like-for-like replacement for Orr with a promising youngster on a development contract.

Despite signing Mumm and Power we're still short on locks, so McCauley, Toleafoa and Philip - all with super training squad experience - probably lead the race though after Tufui's effort for the Rams on Sunday he's surely in the mix. As a former Kiwi I'm not sure of his residency/qualification, though with neither import position filled he could easily take either if necessary. We've at least got the NRC to sort this out, as well as the question of a number 8 to replace Palu. Too many times in recent history we've put undersized low-impact 8s at Super Rugby and International level who should've stayed at 6 or 7, we need to be finding another Palu or Lyons rather than a Fava or Roe - thus my interest in Big T converting to the forwards as Spies did 10+ years ago at the Bulls. Sam Ward deserved an honourable mention in dispatches from the Eagles win over Brisbane City, so we'll track him through the NRC otherwise.

Jake Gordon as incumbent EPS leads former Red Scott Gale for the gig as third scrumhalf, and I've assumed sevens ace Clark will start as an outside back - or perhaps fullback like when Foley transferred across. There's room for another outside back though the Tahs haven't shown much love for wingers in recent years - besides big T.

Two of the eight vacancies are full contracts, so it'll be interesting to see who we pick up. Note I haven't focused much on the young crop as I don't follow schoolboys or u20s particularly closely, so add to the thread if there's any intel there.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Waratahs 2017 - what we know

25 confirmed signings from 30 full contracts, with three further assumed (*). Four of the ten others from EPS, supplementary and development are also signed (**).

Here's a possible matchday 23, with assumptions following.

1. Ryan
2. Latu
3. Kepu
4. Skelton
5. Mumm
6. Dempsey
7. Hooper
8. Holloway
9. Phipps
10. Foley
11. Horne
12. Hegarty*
13. Folau
14. Naiyaravoro
15. Kellaway

16. Roach
17. Robertson
18. Ta'avao
19. Power
20. Hanigan*
21. Lucas
22. Horwitz*
23. Robinson

24. [HOOKER]
25. [LHP]
26. Sandell
27. Needs**
28. [LOCK]
29. [LOCK]
30. [LOCK]
31. Wilkin
32. Wells
33. [No.8]
34. [SCRUMHALF]
35. Deegan**
36. Simone**
37. Stewart
38. [WING]
39. Clark
40. Jones**

Former Tah Fitzpatrick who's now at the Rays would've been a good pickup at hooker if Latu showed promise at LHP, but that experiment seems to be over for now so he'll possibly head for the Force who surprisingly haven't yet signed any hookers for 2017. There's also room for another LHP, and I expect a like-for-like replacement for Orr with a promising youngster on a development contract.

Despite signing Mumm and Power we're still short on locks, so McCauley, Toleafoa and Philip - all with super training squad experience - probably lead the race though after Tufui's effort for the Rams on Sunday he's surely in the mix. As a former Kiwi I'm not sure of his residency/qualification, though with neither import position filled he could easily take either if necessary. We've at least got the NRC to sort this out, as well as the question of a number 8 to replace Palu. Too many times in recent history we've put undersized low-impact 8s at Super Rugby and International level who should've stayed at 6 or 7, we need to be finding another Palu or Lyons rather than a Fava or Roe - thus my interest in Big T converting to the forwards as Spies did 10+ years ago at the Bulls. Sam Ward deserved an honourable mention in dispatches from the Eagles win over Brisbane City, so we'll track him through the NRC otherwise.

Jake Gordon as incumbent EPS leads former Red Scott Gale for the gig as third scrumhalf, and I've assumed sevens ace Clark will start as an outside back - or perhaps fullback like when Foley transferred across. There's room for another outside back though the Tahs haven't shown much love for wingers in recent years - besides big T.

Two of the eight vacancies are full contracts, so it'll be interesting to see who we pick up. Note I haven't focused much on the young crop as I don't follow schoolboys or u20s particularly closely, so add to the thread if there's any intel there.

Come on Tahs - there must be a few New Zealanders around to fill up your roster. Zac, Angus, Big Sam, Leon plus the Coach - all game breakers. Those appointments will surely bring back the crowds. I can hear the plane loads coming from Auckland now.
To continue the rant, should send a memo out to all the SS boys - join the exodus and head overseas - NSW doesn't need or want you. Rant over for now.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Come on Tahs - there must be a few New Zealanders around to fill up your roster. Zac, Angus, Big Sam, Leon plus the Coach - all game breakers. Those appointments will surely bring back the crowds. I can hear the plane loads coming from Auckland now.
To continue the rant, should send a memo out to all the SS boys - join the exodus and head overseas - NSW doesn't need or want you. Rant over for now.

How petty. Admittedly, I have a pretty frail knowledge of the SS, but I know for sure that these players came through the system:

- Ryan
- Latu
- Skelton
- Dempsey
- Hooper
- Holloway
- Phipps
- Foley
- Kellaway
- Roach
- Robertson
- Hanigan
- Lucas
- Horwitz
- Sandell
- Wilkin
- Wells
- Deegan
- Simone
- Jone
- Stewart

21/32 currently contracted players (as a bare minimum), or 65.6%, have come through the Shute Shield pathway.

Please keep in mind that the Waratahs are a professional sporting club, and much like other professional sporting clubs, they recruit from all over the world. They look for the best bang for their buck, and they take it.

I will reiterate, as some people don't seem to understand.

The Waratahs are not a Shute Shield Higher Honours XV. Nor should they be expected to be.

Yes, they have an onus to develop Australian Rugby talent, and with that in mind: I don't think 65% is bad at all (especially when you consider a large majority of the non-Shute Shield 11 are Australian - e.g. Folau).

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
How petty. Admittedly, I have a pretty frail knowledge of the SS, but I know for sure that these players came through the system:

- Ryan
- Latu
- Skelton
- Dempsey
- Hooper
- Holloway
- Phipps
- Foley
- Kellaway
- Roach
- Robertson
- Hanigan
- Lucas
- Horwitz
- Sandell
- Wilkin
- Wells
- Deegan
- Simone
- Jone
- Stewart

21/32 currently contracted players (as a bare minimum), or 65.6%, have come through the Shute Shield pathway.

Please keep in mind that the Waratahs are a professional sporting club, and much like other professional sporting clubs, they recruit from all over the world. They look for the best bang for their buck, and they take it.

I will reiterate, as some people don't seem to understand.

The Waratahs are not a Shute Shield Higher Honours XV. Nor should they be expected to be.

Yes, they have an onus to develop Australian Rugby talent, and with that in mind: I don't think 65% is bad at all (especially when you consider a large majority of the non-Shute Shield 11 are Australian - e.g. Folau).

Now now - I did state it was a rant. Am very impressed with your knowledge and stats - I can court more controversy by wondering whether you work for the Waratahs or ARU. I think your comments are fair enough however I still reckon Power could be replaced by other home grown talent.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
What's wrong with Power though?

He's a Sydney born player who previously played Super Rugby in Australia and presumably wants to return.

I don't think he'll ever set the world on fire but the Tahs need an experienced lock and he certainly fits the bill.

With McCauley and Toleafoa we've got two young guys who need time to develop but we are sorely lacking an experienced genuine lock.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
What's wrong with Power though?

He's a Sydney born player who previously played Super Rugby in Australia and presumably wants to return.

I don't think he'll ever set the world on fire but the Tahs need an experienced lock and he certainly fits the bill.

With McCauley and Toleafoa we've got two young guys who need time to develop but we are sorely lacking an experienced genuine lock.

Nothing wrong with Power. Just my disdain of foreign recruitment for non Marquee players and players that are ineligible for Australian selection.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Nothing wrong with Power. Just my disdain of foreign recruitment for non Marquee players and players that are ineligible for Australian selection.

He's 30 so you'd imagine he'll never be selected for the Wallabies but he is eligible.

I guess the question is who is the alternative experienced lock we could have recruited who doesn't cost very much?

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Now now - I did state it was a rant. Am very impressed with your knowledge and stats - I can court more controversy by wondering whether you work for the Waratahs or ARU. I think your comments are fair enough however I still reckon Power could be replaced by other home grown talent.

Haha - just a Sydney based rugby fan with one eye on the Shute Shield (not a huge fan but friends play for an assortment of clubs).

I think most of the promising young lock talent in Sydney is quite young, and an experienced head to fill the short-term gap is a good idea.

In the meantime, we should try and develop Swinton, McCauley and Phillip.

gkd1169

Chris McKivat (8)
It was announced last night at the Tahs awards that Polota-Nau was leaving. anyone hear anything? Would leave nsw very short on good hookers

gkd1169

Chris McKivat (8)
I'd say Mumm will re-sign but palu and Dennis will go leaving Skelton, Hanigan, Mcauley, Holloway and Toleafoa as locking options (2 of those being lock/backrowers) you'd want an out and out lock to complement those with hard working stock standard play. Hopefully we'll see some in the NRC, maybe Pat Steve Cummins could be a go.

Could probably sound out one of the brumbies big 4. What kind of 2nd rowers are going around at the force?

Robinson and Guildford haven't been too shit-hot so far, Kellaway looks like the goods and we'd do well to keep him progressing. Henry Taefu could probably do well as centre cover for us now Kurtley's career is over.
also how long until we can burn Taavao's contract

holloway will never be a lock tried it in 2014 and hated it. always a number 8 or 6

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
How does that work if he is 30 in form - he will be selected as Mumm was how old when he returned to Oz and played for Wallabies for last

Froggy

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I know the accepted wisdom is that Hanigan is a 6, not a lock, but I don't see that as necesarily the case.
He's playing pretty good rugby at lock in the NRC (which is where he played for aus schools), just because he's mobile and has good hands doesn't mean he has to be a backrower (see the AB's), and he seems to be pretty handy in the line-out.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)

Reminds you how much talent / experience is leaving the team this season.

Wycliff, TPN, Beale, Dennis, Tilse, Fatcat all absolutely legends of the club. Carrarro has had a great stint in the last few years as well.

Absolute fucking tear jerker aswell. A sad Fatcat makes me a sad Micheal.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I know the accepted wisdom is that Hanigan is a 6, not a lock, but I don't see that as necesarily the case.

Ned's adequate in the second row for SS and the NRC, but he's not quite big enough to be a permanent lock choice in Super rugby. For mine he's got 6 written all over him.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Wiki shows Hanigan as 1.94m tall. Itoje is 1.93 and quite happy at lock at international level.

Yes Itoje may settle to 6 in time, but I wish Australia would lose this demand for taller heavier (stronger but slower) locks. Mobility in the lock pairing provides a
lot of dynamism in the tight 5 and technique can make up for it in the set piece.

Check England LO and scrum against Australia in the last tests.

Status
Not open for further replies.