• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
So random question for Tah's fan's is the 2015 team as good as 2014.. I think you lost Douglas and it's been a massive lose.. Just Curious.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think they're probably in a similar place to where they were last year at this stage of the season.

Douglas was the biggest loss but Dennis has really risen to the occasion with his physicality at lock so far. Our scrum and lineout are both going far better at this stage than they were last year.

A win against the Highlanders in Dunedin is crucial this weekend. If we do that it will put us in good stead to have a good crack at the Brumbies in Sydney the following Sunday.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I think they're not a million miles off being very competitive. First half of last year was scratchy, with intent seen, patches of really good play, but a lot of execution issues. I think they type of game they are trying to play is pretty high risk, so execution that is just off exposes the frailties. If they get the execution better, look out.
As Braveheart81 said, the set pieces are a bit better now than similar time last year, and the defence looked to be getting better sorted against the Reds.
As others have said, a win this weekend ( a tough ask as it is) sets up for a massive game next weekend.
I don't think we can really claim personnel as a reason to do worse, as much as I agree Douglas is a big loss in Cheika's plan. So I think the team should be as good. As ever, injuries will tell the tale.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I reckon the physicality is ahead of where it was at this stage last year.

I feel like they're pretty close to clicking in attack as well. The Reds were awful but the Tahs created a huge number of opportunities.

Poor performances in the next two weeks could make me dramatically reconsider that though.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
I think the summer humidity doesn't help they're game plan either. Glad they're playing in Dunedin this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Not denying they looked good but just want to point out it wasn't humid last Saturday night.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Pretty much how I was thinking.. the Tah's haven't hit there straps yet but Larkham has the Brumbies humming, which in my eyes the Tah's have alot more improvement in them, will that be enough to take down the ponies.. I hope not :D

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Not denying they looked good but just want to point out it wasn't humid last Saturday night.
Thanks, I had assumed it was being Brisbane and all. It's been unusually humid in Sydney last two nights after last week seemed like autumn was on its way. So glad they're not playing in Sydney this week. There had to be something wrong with the pitch or something, or was the game really just that bad?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I really don't know why there was so much dropped ball but to me the weather was not the reason.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
News in the Sydney media this morning that AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is gone for up to a month with a torn tendon in his knee. Sounds nasty!

This AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) bloke used to play 13 for us before Carraro, right? I'm sure I remember him doing that. ;)

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
I really don't know why there was so much dropped ball but to me the weather was not the reason.
Foo fighters concert during the week after all that rain was one of the reasons the pitch was rubbish, and maybe some mud/dirt was on the balls but with you on the weather, nothing wrong with it at all

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
I reckon the physicality is ahead of where it was at this stage last year.

I had been crowing about the emphasis on rucking training the Tahs had done pre-season and that they did rucking drills at every training session I went to up until Round 1 - which was quite a few—not "most" but "every" session; backs as well as forwards.

Then came the soft display in contact at the ruck and counter-ruck against the Force in Round 1.

It proved what we knew already: that it doesn't matter what the coaches say and have players do in training, if they don't show up to play on game day, they may as well have been picking their noses in training during the week before.

But we saw some of the ruck work on attack and defence at Suncorp that I had expected earlier: not only in the physicality of it but in the precision of its application, as well. One hopes that they can keep that up regardless of set pieces and other forwards' stuff, that one trusts will be half-way decent.

The tough, no-frills Highlanders will be a sterner test for the Tahs upfront than the Reds were, and for me this will be the most interesting part of the game.

I am not so worried about the players dropping the ball, even though they did a lot of that against the Force also. The correct timing of the run and of the pass, will come, though right now the first is too early and the second, too late.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
People forget sometimes that we were 4-4 after 8 games last season.

I think we're in a similar spot. Foundations of the game are good, though our try-scoring ability isn't quite where it was last year. We'll get there though, injuries permitting.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
People forget sometimes that we were 4-4 after 8 games last season.

I think we're in a similar spot. Foundations of the game are good, though our try-scoring ability isn't quite where it was last year. We'll get there though, injuries permitting.

The next couple of games are going to be crucial in that regard.

If we beat both the Highlanders and Brumbies we'll be 4 and 1 and in an excellent position with the Blues to come in round 7 in Sydney before our second bye.

Lose both of them and then beat the Blues and we're 3 and 3 and with a lot of work to do with a tougher schedule in the second half of the year.

topgun

Billy Sheehan (19)
The problem apparent with Moeroa is that Rugby has a very poor recruitment system to the younger talent pools. Many a league player has been scouted from a rugby based school

Status
Not open for further replies.