• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
My theory is that, if something isn't broken, don't try and fix it.

Horne and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) should play centre. Izzy should play fullback. KB (Kurtley Beale) should work at training for a spot.

Horne and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) should play centre. Izzy should play fullback. KB (Kurtley Beale) should work at training for a spot.[/quote]
exactly you don't work on combinations just to break them up again.
Imagine Farr jones switching with Lynagh? Horan and Little playing fullback and wing.
Foley was great at 10...leave him there...Folau is potentially one of the great 15s. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is first choice 13. Rob Horne is a 12. Sorry Kurtley I want you there but you're going to have to find somewhere first. Folau may well turn into a great 13 but AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) deserves the spot and I want a bloody super title ........:mad:

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
My theory is that, if something isn't broken, don't try and fix it.

Horne and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) should play centre. Izzy should play fullback. KB (Kurtley Beale) should work at training for a spot.

I would say, to steal the Joe Schmidt quote, if it isn't broken you aren't looking hard enough.

All teams need to continuously evolve and I think at the very least giving Izzy a couple of runs in the centre should be trialled next year, not against the big teams early in the season where we need to go back to the tried and trusted but certainly against the Lions, Bulls, Highlanders etc i.e. the home games we should be targeting for a bonus point. If we are lucky enough to be comfortable after 60 minutes against the stronger teams give him a run there too.

A team with Izzy, KB (Kurtley Beale), AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Foley in its backline is Super Rugby dominating material we'll have to sacrifice continuity at some stage to work out the best combinations.

Crazy Grey

Frank Nicholson (4)
All teams need to continuously evolve and I think at the very least giving Izzy a couple of runs in the centre should be trialled next year, not against the big teams early in the season where we need to go back to the tried and trusted but certainly against the Lions, Bulls, Highlanders etc i.e. the home games we should be targeting for a bonus point. If we are lucky enough to be comfortable after 60 minutes against the stronger teams give him a run there too.

That's why we have preseason games. I think it would be very interesting trialling AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at inside. The complaints against are always about his poor passing, however he does break the line and can offload when he's in the mood. Far more suitable characteristics for a hard running inside to straighten the line than an outside where he needs to link with the wingers.

Folau at outside also leaves open the potential for utilising his exceptional high ball abilities. KB (Kurtley Beale) back in form in that backline would be devastating. Also under the new tournament you need back up and Horne would still get plenty of game time, as Barnes did.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
If I was running the Waratahs, my first signing would be Topo Rodriguez as scrum doctor, with a brief to work from the Waratahs to as far down the chain as he thinks necessary.

Zander

Ron Walden (29)
I don't think the Waratahs have an issue with their scrum, they've had one of the best in the competition for the last 5 years.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I don't think the Waratahs have an issue with their scrum, they've had one of the best in the competition for the last 5 years.

Until we can dominate the best NZ and SA scrums (Crusaders and Sharks) I want Topo there at least one training session a week; and EVERY first choice Shute THP to be invited along plus a selection of the best hookers, loose heads and locks. If Topo isn't available then get the next best scrum coach.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I don't get everyone throwing around Topo Rodriguez's name around.

Just because he was a great player, it doesn't automatically make him a great coach. For cases in point see Pato Noriega, Andrew Blades and Mike Cron.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

Just because he was a great player, it doesn't automatically make him a great coach. For cases in point see Pato Noriega, Andrew Blades and Mike Cron.

This is presumably the reason.

wikipedia said:
In August 2012 Rodriguez authored and self-published a book called "The ART of Scrummaging". This 218 full colour page rugby union scrum thesis has the unique feature of presenting opinions of 40 Expert Collaborators (ex-international players and coaches) on the very subject of scrummaging. This body of work took Rodriguez 15 years of research and it was completed in collaboration with Dick J. Marks (writer/consultant), Peter Fenton OAM (editor), Foreword by Alan Jones AO and Prologue by Ray Williams OBE. (www.theartofscrummaging.com)(www.talubooks.com).

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I'm not sure that's 100% correct, but when these guys have moved to the next level, i.e. tests, they've been found wanting.

I'm not sure that having the best scrum in Australia is that much of an achievement. It's a world game and it's a facet in which we are way below world's best practice.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I'm not sure that's 100% correct, but when these guys have moved to the next level, i.e. tests, they've been found wanting.

I'm not sure that having the best scrum in Australia is that much of an achievement. It's a world game and it's a facet in which we are way below world's best practice.

It is better than having the worst

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Topo was the wobs scrum coach and I don't remember any marked improvement through that time

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
He wrote a whole book on scrummaging.

So if you write a book, that makes you a good coach?

I am not arguing he isn't a good coach, but I do find it a little strange that people in online forums who have in all likelihood never met Topo or (more importantly) been coached by him are throwing his name around as an 'essential' appointment to the coaching staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.