• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

gowaratahs

Sydney Middleton (9)
THIS IS THE FUCKING YEEEEEEEEEEEAR!
Well... maybe. It was just the Force, who are favourites for the wooden spoon. We've (ie. our players) got to be more clinical, hold our passes, and know where our support is instead of doing everything to create magic as individuals before desperately trying to find support when we've isolated ourselves.

Today KB (Kurtley Beale) played like Cliff Lyons in state of origin - the opposition hung back and didn't over-commit, and his teammates didn't seem to know what he was doing. Result was loss of momentum, and forwards required to shift across field and fight to regain front foot ball. I'm hoping this will resolve itself as the boys work on synergies.

Go Tahs!

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
we will need to be a lot tighter next week - while there was some really exciting play there were a few too many handling errors and silly penalties.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Forwards handling let them down in the first half too often, even Izzy dropped a high ball so hopefully it was just blowing out the cobwebs. I'd bring Horne in for Beale next week, too much crabbing around when we needed someone run straight and truck the ball. Good start to the season though.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
5 team tries was positive, hearing Cheika state that that effort, with that many errors, wouldn't beat the Reds highlights where we are

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Well. maybe. It was just the Force, who are favourites for the wooden spoon.

Really? I'd say the Lions WERE favorites, I didn't think they'd win more then a game or two. Except it's round two......... and they're already won two.

Jokes aside, it was just the Force but they weren't ridiculously poor. I'd say this match points to the fact that the Tahs are a more than likely to go top 2 in the Aussie conference but you never know if coming 2nd in the Aus conference is good enough to make finals.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Andrew Fifita looking very much the rugby player at the Tahs game yesterday sitting with Phil Blake

421251-a3856f24-9c58-11e3-8857-926a2cf5fac5.jpg

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Nice disguise. The Groucho glasses/mo is an oldie but a goodie.

Wonder who loaned him a shirt with sleeves?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Did anyone else watch the curtain raiser?

It was a very scrappy game and I didn't think there were a huge amount of positives for the Tahs apart from getting the win.

Matt Lucas was pretty good and will push Brendan McKibbin for the backup halfback spot in the main team. He really manned up in defence which I thought was great. Defence was his weakest aspect last season.

I thought Jed Holloway was pretty good despite only just coming back from a shoulder reco.

The scrum was smashed which was a worry. There's clearly not a production line of quality props waiting in the wings. The scrum seemed to hold it's own best when Ryan Dalziel was playing hooker.

I thought Cam Crawford was pretty average and certainly isn't bashing down the door to be reinstated into the main side.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
I agree with your summation. I thought both forward packs recycled possession well through the game but both backlines were very disorganised and slow to re-align. The Brumbies dominated the scrum for 30 mins but I thought they got tired and were only solid after that. Waratahs were able to put them under pressure at a late scrum and this led to points for the Tahs which allowed them to close out the game. Crawford didn't impress however I didn't think Volavola did either.
However I did think there was good intensity in the game and both sides played to win rather than go through the motions. I am hopeful that this is an indication that NRC spots are up for grabs.
Overall I thought the Brumbies had sufficient quality ball to win the game but just didn't look like scoring tries.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Had totally forgotten about the A game till I saw a group of lads in Brumbies gear sitting outside Allianz with kitbags on my way in.

I was hoping Crawford would look back to last seasons form. I mentioned on the Reds match thread I'd like to see him back in the team. His physicality and kicking game add something different to the team, there is just a bit of directness that Alofa Alofa and Betham don't have.

Lindommer

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Didn't get there until 4:00pm, BH, so I didn't take in the curtain-raiser. However, after watching the three Tahs' trials this year I'll back up your observations re Lucas; he's got the best pass of the Tahs scrummies and is probably the quickest (maybe of the whole team) over 15/20 metres. His defence this year's been fine, I also wouldn't be surprised to see him on the bench for the Reds match. But McKibbin's kicking's a huge factor in Brendan's favour. Phipps seems to've caught a dose of the Harbour Bridges since moving back here, far too many passes at head level, or higher, yesterday. I don't understand how halfbacks can get the ball to the recipients' foreheads so accurately so many times, there must be some way a coach can recalibrate their sights so's they can aim lower.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I still thought Phipps was good overall yesterday and is an improvement over McKibbin. He made some good choices in attack and showed good timing with his passes in a couple of the tries (particularly the ball to Palu for Folau's second try).

I completely agree that his passing needs to be more accurate but he is helping us get good pace to our play.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I reckon Phipps had a great game. Passing was accurate and fast 95% of the time.

His trial form has been great and I really think he's going to be an important recruit for the Tahs.

Since Burgess left, halfback has been a problem position for the Tahs. Everyone talks about the flyhalf but your halfback is every bit as important and has a huge impact on how the team plays.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
Did anyone else watch the curtain raiser?

It was a very scrappy game and I didn't think there were a huge amount of positives for the Tahs apart from getting the win.

Matt Lucas was pretty good and will push Brendan McKibbin for the backup halfback spot in the main team. He really manned up in defence which I thought was great. Defence was his weakest aspect last season.

I thought Jed Holloway was pretty good despite only just coming back from a shoulder reco.

The scrum was smashed which was a worry. There's clearly not a production line of quality props waiting in the wings. The scrum seemed to hold it's own best when Ryan Dalziel was playing hooker.

I thought Cam Crawford was pretty average and certainly isn't bashing down the door to be reinstated into the main side.

Agree with the review.

The starting front row of Alalaatoa, Roach & Metcher struggled at set piece however the reserves were much better in the second half with Dalziel & Talakai. Falefa is still missing and wasn't present amongst the squad (Don't see him fitting into the squad now).

Matt Lucas was great yesterday and is definitely pushing McKibbon in terms of bench selection. For mine, young David Horwitz struggled at times to steer his team around the paddock however I thought Ben Volavola had some great touches and showed his utility value.

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Phipps needs to adjust his technique to squat over the ball and deliver from the deck while his torso is upright - ALL halfbacks should do this, and its when they start step-stepping or bending down to pick up the ball in front of them that it goes to shit.

I'm a prop and even I know that.

Status
Not open for further replies.