• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallaby Blindside/Number 8 watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Since two of our regular starters at test level have been injured this season, who are the current Wallaby candidates.

Incumbents:
Elsom
McCalman
*Palu

Candidates:
Higginbotham
Samo
Dennis
Brown
Chapman
Vaea

Higginbotham is really putting forward a good case for the blindside flanker role, he also plays a similar sort of game to Elsom which suits the Wallabies structure.

Palu, he will be selected if his fit.. but that is a big if..

McCalman, he will be back again in some form, probably first choice number 8 if Palu is out injured.

Elsom, where we all know the Elsom story

T

TOCC

First Choice:
6. Elsom
8. Palu

Second Choice(assuming both first choices are injured)
6. Higgers
8. McCalman

*Wildcard
Samo - His form has been quite awesome, although his tendency for silly mistakes and penalties will probably rule him out of contention.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
First Choice:
6. Elsom
8. Palu

I really don't think either of these two should be seriously considered until they've proven themselves fully fit for an 80 minute Super 14.

Going into a WC tournament where you can only take X amount of players, why should we take a risk on these that they MAY be fit?

Sure people can quote 'Form is just Temporary' but both these players haven't done anything to warrant selection for a spot this year, you've got guys that have been putting pressure on those spots for I daresay two years now and they should be re-warded for their hardwork!

Pick on current form, rather than potential, because we're setting ourselves up to fail if we take a blind faith chance on them coming good in a match that could knock us out of the WC!

A

Alex-A

Higgers has to be first choice for either positions considering the incumbents are currently injured. He is having a great season and if he doesnt get a start he's got to make the test 22

G

GC

Kimlin was shocking last night and though maybe better than some other ponies' forwards hasnt been near Wobs standard. Chapman and Vaea are worse. Mowen has been much better as has Hodgo who can play 6. Shit, I'd play Wykes before them too.

C

chief

Robbie Deans is going to have a selection headache, with a lot of people certainly putting their hand up.

Higginbotham's clearly a candidate for starting team. I haven't tuned into the Force to watch McCalman. Haven't seen much of Palu either.

However two people who have impressed me, are Radike Samo, and Scott Higginbotham. Both are quite clearly candidates for Wallaby squad positions, as they very well should be.

Samo can play all around the park, which surely should allow for a call up to the Wallaby squad, he has been pretty bloody good. It pleases me to say, now that Horwill is back, and Samo is in contention, it can keep Dean Mumm as far away from the Wallaby jersey as possible.

Good timing for this thread TOCC.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Personally, I don't really like Higginbotham's style of play. But the Wallabies have a game against Samoa before the Tri Nations, and this would be a good opportunity the Test him out.

Put it this way; I'd prefer Higginbotham get his first start for the Wobs against Samoa than Rocky get his first start of the year against Samoa.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think the Wallabies are in trouble if Samo is in consideration...

Samo has certainly made the most of his second chance in Australia but a test player he is not...

I'd easily prefer one of the younger, better performing (in poor performing teams) candidates such as Dennis, Kimlin, Mowan or Wykes...

I'm also not 100% sold on Higginbotham yet...

JimboJoe1006

Chris McKivat (8)
At this stage, I would play a back-row of McCalman, Pocock and Hinningbotham against Samoa. I agree with Konze re Elsom against Samoa. Besides that those three, Vaea; Dennis; Mowen; Brown and Samo (in no particular order) have had good form this year. Very tough competition for these players (including McCalman and Hinningbotham), with only one of them likely to make the WC squad.

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
I don't know why Samo is not considered a test player......

He has played test footy before.....

He is also a form player in the form team of the comp...

I'd like to see Palu starting, play 50- 60 mins and then have Samo play the finishing stages. Both have fitness issues, and I think Samo's mobility and power could work wonders against a tired opposition forward pack.

I also have to agree with The Konze. There's no way Rocky should make his first match of the year a Test. It would be a real push to go from no game time at any level to Test rugby overnight. I fear it could dishearten the outside chances if someone was picked for no other reason but incumbency.

T

Thomas

Higginbotham should be starting other Elsom at the moment, has Elsom even started running yet?

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
I'd like to see Palu starting, play 50- 60 mins and then have Samo play the finishing stages. Both have fitness issues, and I think Samo's mobility and power could work wonders against a tired opposition forward pack.

I think that would be the way to go. Palu and Samo haven't had amazing careers, but they are both very experienced and using them as a tag team could be extremely effective.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
I'd like to see Dennis get a bench spot for the sobs this year he has been outstanding.

I wasn't impressed by mccalmans tests last year, I hope palu can get fit cos we don't have a backup that is the same case as a game fit palu.

I like higgers and thewobs definitely need a grub, they have since finnegan and to a lesser extent vickerman went, but heworries me in tighter games that he is going to give away stupid penalties. He plays much better in a winning team than one under pressure for mine

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
while I agree Dennis has been great, he cant even cement a starting spot at the tahs (although that's probably due to the coaching staff than skill level) I doubt he will be in contention this year when Deans is writing out his list.

Status
Not open for further replies.