• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
6. Pocock
7. Hooper

That could work. Hooper plays open side on attack and Poey on defence.

Wouldn't you want want Hooper at 7 on defence too? He's undoubtably quicker and gets to the player first, makes the tackle and Pocock can come in at the breakdown before Hooper even regains his feet or the opposition gets there.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Wouldn't you want want Hooper at 7 on defence too? He's undoubtably quicker and gets to the player first, makes the tackle and Pocock can come in at the breakdown before Hooper even regains his feet or the opposition gets there.
I guess it depends on the opposition plan. With the way the Kiwis run at Pocock all night to chain him to the ruck that would be a good strategy. But Pocock is such a dominant defender you want him in the thick of the action as much as possible.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Alright, he's my pick.

Slipper, Sio

Moore, TPN, Fainga'a

Kepu, PAE/Alexander

Skelton, Timani

Simmons, Carter

Fardy, McMahon

Hooper, Pocock

Palu, Vaea, McCalman

Phipps, White, Genia

Foley, Cooper

Tomane, JOC (James O'Connor)

To'omua, Lealiifano

Kuridrani, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

Speight

Folau, Beale

32 players.

2 Options for each position, with a few able to cover 2 spots with a net effect of roughly 3 possible options for any given position.

Of course when 2/3rds of them go down with compound spinal fracture/dislocations in this weekends Tahs/Brumbies derby, as is the usual tradition, then we start going crazy and picking randoms.

I think you'll need more than 4 props. In fact surely there must be a rule now that you have to have a minimum of 5 props in your squad. I say that because a test team these days requires a minimum of 4 pros I believe. If you have a rule which prevents injury trades within 48 hours of games, surely you run the risk of having teams being unable to field a proper team if one guy goes down in the lead up

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Prop: Slipper, Sio, Kepu, Holmes, Alexander
Hooker: Moore, TPN, Fainga'a
Lock: Simmons, Skelton, Carter, Horwill
Backrow: Hooper, Pocock, Fardy, Palu, McCalman, Gill
9: Phipps, White, Genia
10: Foley, Cooper
Centre: To'omua, Kuridrani, Giteau
Wing: Horne, Speight, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), JOC (James O'Connor)
Fullback: Folau

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Prop: Slipper, Sio, Kepu, Holmes, Alexander
Hooker: Moore, TPN, Fainga'a
Lock: Simmons, Skelton, Carter, Horwill
Backrow: Hooper, Pocock, Fardy, Palu, McCalman, Gill
9: Phipps, White, Genia
10: Foley, Cooper
Centre: To'omua, Kuridrani, Giteau
Wing: Horne, Speight, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), JOC (James O'Connor)
Fullback: Folau

I'd say that is spot on except Higgers in place of Gill. He won't take 3 opensides.
As much as we all want to see Coleman or Arnold or Cottrell or PAE or whichever uncapped future star you want in the squad, its a RWC squad and he will carry as much experience as possible.
Horwill, Alexander, Higgers and Carter will be on the plane.

It is fun to throw out impossible selections though. The only contentious spots I can see are the 3rd hooker and the last back row spot

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
And Giteau. I doubt TGC will select Matt over Kurtley.

For me I'd tell young Coleman what's expected of him and let him know he's in the frame for a gold jumper.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Beale....will he go or not? Probably as he is one of Cheikas favoured players.
Then tit's possible there will be injuries that open up a couple of spots.
Hopefully not many.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Beale..will he go or not? Probably as he is one of Cheikas favoured players.

I definitely think he needs to improve his form and consistency prior to then.

I reckon there's a group of players including Beale, JOC (James O'Connor), Leali'ifano, Horne, Cummins and possibly one or two others where only a couple of them will make it.

If Giteau is selected I think it will be at the expense of the third halfback.

I'd be surprised if we don't go with an 18/13 forwards/backs split. It could possibly shift to 19/12 if Giteau is taken as the third halfback.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
The third half back is a difficult one. Whoever's the 3rd choice no.9 is going to play hardly any footy. They might get a start against one of the minnows but probably only for the sake of rotation. In my view its appropriate that the 2nd choice halfback starts against the minnows to give them as much game time as possible.

The only real concern is that you might pick up an injury to one of your halfbacks. None of our halfbacks are particularly injury prone and you're unlikely to see a halfback go down injured at a training session leading up to the game. If your first choice first back goes down, you'd probably want your 2nd choice to play 80 minutes anyway.

I recall Dean had the same "Giteau or 3rd halfback" dilemma in 2011 and in the end I think he made the wrong choice, given that we got to New Zealand and our pivots underperformed.

I guess the question comes down to whether Giteau still has the skills to play halfback. He'll need to be pretty quick given the style of rugby we will be playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.