• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies v Wales: Name Your Best XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

abrixon

Bob McCowan (2)
Everyone else is having a crack so here's my 2 cents on the back line based on injury free and looking to building combinations bash early and scoring points when the opposition are stuffed.

9. Genia,
10. Beale
11 Ioane
12 McCabe
13 Horne
14 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
15.JOC (James O'Connor)

20 Lucas (if a 5:2 split)/White (when game is won with 10 to go to prevent unecessary injury ala Whittaker for Gregan)
21 Cooper (goes to 10, pushing Beale to fullback, JOC (James O'Connor) to wing, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to bench)
22 Tapuai (straight swap with McCabe as he would have tackled and bashed himself to death)

The McCabe/Horne combo could potentially be one of the most devastatingly tough combos we have had in a long time. My only issue is that Tapuai is a very good attacking 12 and defends well, he developed one of the best schoolboy combinations in a decade with Horne. Horne is the best natural 13's we have. He is starting to find his form again and its now time to live up to the potential we have all been waiting for. Hoping he is over his dreaded hamstring issues 2012 could be make or break for Horne.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Everyone else is having a crack so here's my 2 cents on the back line based on injury free and looking to building combinations bash early and scoring points when the opposition are stuffed.

9. Genia,
10. Beale
11 Ioane
12 McCabe
13 Horne
14 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
15.JOC (James O'Connor)

20 Lucas (if a 5:2 split)/White (when game is won with 10 to go to prevent unecessary injury ala Whittaker for Gregan)
21 Cooper (goes to 10, pushing Beale to fullback, JOC (James O'Connor) to wing, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to bench)
22 Tapuai (straight swap with McCabe as he would have tackled and bashed himself to death)

The McCabe/Horne combo could potentially be one of the most devastatingly tough combos we have had in a long time. My only issue is that Tapuai is a very good attacking 12 and defends well, he developed one of the best schoolboy combinations in a decade with Horne. Horne is the best natural 13's we have. He is starting to find his form again and its now time to live up to the potential we have all been waiting for. Hoping he is over his dreaded hamstring issues 2012 could be make or break for Horne.

Rob fcking Horne?

Give yourself an uppercut.

P

Paradox

Have the Reds fans been watching the Brumbies and Joe Tomane play? If so, why do they keep selecting Shipperly over him? From memory, Tomane had a big game in Brisvegas as well.

J

Jiggles

Might as well have a punt.

1. Robinson - W
2. Moore - B
3. Palmer - B
4. Horwill - Q
5. Sharpe - F
6. Higginbotham - Q
7. Pocock - F
8. Palu - W

9. Genia - Q
10. Cooper - Q
11. Ioane - Q
12. McCabe - B
13. Ashley-Cooper - W
14. O'Connor - R
15. Beale - R

16. TPN 17. Slipper/Kepu 18. Pyle 19. Dennis 20. Hooper 21. White 22. Mogg

A couple of Notes:

My first priority with the forwards is the set piece and I want a pot plant scrum for the welsh, hence Palmer gets the nod at THP. I think Moore, along with the guys 4 to 7 have a high enough work rate to compensate for lower work rate offered by Robinson, Palmer and Palu. The line-out has 4 genuine jumping options which will be needed against a pretty good welsh set piece.

The Backline is conditional on Cooper getting through the next few weeks well enough. Beale is the best fullback option by a mile so why not play him there. If Cooper cannot play then we have Beale slot into 10, Mogg to 15, and Barnes onto the Bench. I don't really like my centres, so I would slowly move O'Connor into this position throughout the series and see how he goes. McCabe has been improved at super rugby this year, but I still question his ability at Test level.

The Bench - Gone for a 5/2 split as I Want to see a few forwards trialled. Prop position is a toss up, either of those players is ok. Slipper is a better international LHP, Kepu a better THP but both do have the ability to play both sides. Slipper offers a bit more work rate which could be better in the back end of the game. Dennis, I question whether he has it for Test rugby, so this will be a good opportunity. Mogg has been great this year, so I would like to ease him into a few tests for the last 10 minutes. I wouldn't be playing him in the RC though. Give him a taste and tell him there is more if he lifts his game. Make him hungry.

Squad Members (30): S. Faainga, Kepu/Slipper, Holmes, Simmons, Mowen, Barnes, A. Faainga, Tomane.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
yes and it's an injury-free selection and no Lealiifano.

So? Lealiifano was a flyhalf this season, he's got nothing to do with the centres.

THe pecking list for outside centre atm is:

Fainga'a
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) (would normally be 1st, but is not playing there atm and not quite up to his normal standards atm)
McCabe
Smith
Cummins
Inman
Higginbotham
Sharpe
Horne

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
My Team: (IE strongest available atm)

Robinson
Moore
Palmer
Simmons (He was out of form early in the season, but has really turned it up recently)
Horwill
Higginbotham
Pocock
Mowen (Higginbotham doesn't play tight enough to be able to not play a high-workrate, tight-playing 8).

Genia
Beale
Ioane
McCabe
Fainga'a
Tomane
O'Connor (Gerrard caused the Crusaders and Deans too much grief over the years to be selected and Mogg is too green/has a couple of weaknesses to work on)

Nau
Alexander
Fardy/Pyle
Auelua/Vaea/Dennis
Hooper
White
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

Depending on how Cooper pulls up in the next few weeks, he may slot in at 10 and let Beale drop back to 15, but if not i'd be going with that.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
Have the Reds fans been watching the Brumbies and Joe Tomane play? If so, why do they keep selecting Shipperly over him? From memory, Tomane had a big game in Brisvegas as well.

The thread's been going a while, some of the early selections are hardly surprising.

Shipperley had more exposure early, he's played every minute, whereas Tomane started on the bench a couple of times, and while he scored tries right from the start I seem to recall Tomane had periods when he was less in the game early on.

Deans mentioned Tomane in passing a month or so ago. Surely only a matter of when. Ioane + Tomane = double trouble.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Tomane has been playing way better than Shipperely last few weeks. I'd definatly have him ahead at this point.

I like the threat of Tomane and & Iaone, but to me it lacks balance. I am a big fan of one of the wingers being in that 2nd full back role for balance.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I still don't get how after the weekend's games people are still picking Dan Palmer ahead of both Slipper and Kepu. Slipper had a great game against the Lions, while the Tahs scrum demolished the Stormers set piece. I thought Palmer was fairly anonymous against the Canes, as he is every week. He is a good, solid, reliable prop, but IMO not yet in the same ballpark as Slipper and Kepu.

But I suppose I am starting to sound like a broken record on this.

A

AlexH

I like the threat of Tomane and & Iaone, but to me it lacks balance. I am a big fan of one of the wingers being in that 2nd full back role for balance.

Did you have anyone in particular in mind? O'Connor is out of the fold and, at least in my opinion, Mogg needs to stay in the oven a little longer before he gets a test call up so there a not too many options out there in the way of wingers with a fullback skill set. Tomane or Shipperly are the next best options unless Mitchell returns to form quickly.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Did you have anyone in particular in mind? O'Connor is out of the fold and, at least in my opinion, Mogg needs to stay in the oven a little longer before he gets a test call up so there a not too many options out there in the way of wingers with a fullback skill set. Tomane or Shipperly are the next best options unless Mitchell returns to form quickly.

I think it depends on who is 15

If AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 15, Luke Morahanon the wing

If Mogg at 15, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) would add solidity

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I would think it would be better to introduce Mogg to test rugby via the wing...

He would then add that extra fullback option without the full responsibility...

Status
Not open for further replies.