• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies v Wales: Name Your Best XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Clearly 12, he is still too selfish to be a good test 10 and overplays his hand.

I agree.

The best stuff O'Connor does is with ball in hand. His footwork and acceleration are superb. Playing at 12 where he has a bit more space and more opportunities to run is where he will be at his best in my opinion.

When you compare him to Cooper, it says to me why Cooper is a 10 and O'Connor is a 12. Cooper does most of his best work through his passing and kicking whereas O'Connor is all about his ball running.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I agree.

The best stuff O'Connor does is with ball in hand. His footwork and acceleration are superb. Playing at 12 where he has a bit more space and more opportunities to run is where he will be at his best in my opinion.

When you compare him to Cooper, it says to me why Cooper is a 10 and O'Connor is a 12. Cooper does most of his best work through his passing and kicking whereas O'Connor is all about his ball running.

Cooper was best at 10 when he stopped trying to do everything himself while attacking at 10 and got in the mindset of facilitating the attack by getting those around him into space. Because he is a threat himself teams still have to target him as well. His show boating from 15 was different whether on kick return or coming into the attack wider from 15.

JOC (James O'Connor) at the moment will try to step through and chuck a pass after his opportunity has closed down or throw a hero cut out pass.

Barnes at the moment isn't a threat himself so cutting out his runners is making it hard for him.

Lealiifano is the closest we have to a form 10 this week, he is facilitating those around him and his step/running game is keeping defenders on him as well. But I do want to see what happens to his game over the next few weeks as they play more of the challenging teams.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Cooper was best at 10 when he stopped trying to do everything himself while attacking at 10 and got in the mindset of facilitating the attack by getting those around him into space. Because he is a threat himself teams still have to target him as well. His show boating from 15 was different whether on kick return or coming into the attack wider from 15.

JOC (James O'Connor) at the moment will try to step through and chuck a pass after his opportunity has closed down or throw a hero cut out pass.

Barnes at the moment isn't a threat himself so cutting out his runners is making it hard for him.

Lealiifano is the closest we have to a form 10 this week, he is facilitating those around him and his step/running game is keeping defenders on him as well. But I do want to see what happens to his game over the next few weeks as they play more of the challenging teams.

Agreed RE Lilo, the next few weeks are a big test for him, and the Brumbies in general. I read an articale today that suggests the Brumbies are going to try and out-flair the Bulls. Could work, or it will go horribly, horribly wrong, and Lealiifano will have a lot to do with that. And Nic White.

If they try and spread it before they've got momentum, things will get messy. I'd almost prefer Prior to start, he is far superior at organising the forwards and screaming at them to hit a ruck, or drive the maul a diffferent direction.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Agreed RE Lilo, the next few weeks are a big test for him, and the Brumbies in general. I read an articale today that suggests the Brumbies are going to try and out-flair the Bulls. Could work, or it will go horribly, horribly wrong, and Lealiifano will have a lot to do with that. And Nic White.

If they try and spread it before they've got momentum, things will get messy. I'd almost prefer Prior to start, he is far superior at organising the forwards and screaming at them to hit a ruck, or drive the maul a diffferent direction.

I think Nic White's flat wide passes are one of the reasons the Brumbies are doing well, they are hitting runners on the advantage line and are hard to defend against because they are going around the ruck heavy area.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
White also compliments Lilo as he acts as a second playmaker at times.

Two of the Brumbies' set piece tries from this year have come from White getting the ball from the 8 and then picking out the runner...

something

Jim Clark (26)
9 Genia (kingi/white res.) Has the experience & has stepped up in the big games. Kingi would be my pick reserve currently but we will see
10 Quade if fit- otherwise Barnes. I think they both deserve to be in the team, one off the bench.
11 Ioane - do i need to explain?
12 JOC (James O'Connor) - probs the best position for him, he plays here for rebels and if there is an injury he is versatile and can move around
13 Taps/Fainga'a/McCabe <- McCabe probably first choice, he has seemed more elusive this year which was one of my criticisms of him last year. everyone knows he can take a hit up and tackle like a beast, i just didnt like him that much with ball in hand (at test level at least)
14 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) - complete player, has a good head on his shoulders.
15 Beale - yeah.

certainties in my opinion are Genia, JOC (James O'Connor), Digby, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) & Beale. just 10 & 13 will be a bit chop n change

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
agree with something, there are a few certainties to pick in any current wallaby xv.
pocock, horwill, genia, ioane, JOC (James O'Connor), AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) with the rest being up for grabs. Beale only gets in because of the lack of another fullback, his form in super rugby has been largely poor

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
1. Robinson
2. Moore
3. Kepu
4. Sharpe
5. Horwill
6. Dennis
7. Pocock (c)
8. Palu
9. Genia
10. Barnes
11. Ioane
12. O'Connor
13. Horne
14. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
15. Beale

16. TPN
17. Alexander
18. Pyle
19. Hooper
20. Higginbotham
21. Lealiifano
22. Tapuai

Tight 5 picks itself IMO. Waratahs have been the dominant scrum in 2012 and should reward Kepu if anyone ahead of other props. Fatcat is definitely the best LHP in Australia. Alexander and Palmer to fight for a bench spot both I'm happy with. Moore over TPN closely followed by Charles.

Pyle / Horwill will be definite selections although the other Lock position is a toss up depending on the availability of Sharpe. If Sharpe is available he will definately start, if not I would include S. Timani over R. Simmonds for me he hasn't been as dominate as I thought he would be. Sita will provide plenty impact off the bench.

Backrow I have picked Dave Dennis to start at 6. IMO he has outplayed every other 6 in the Australian Conference with consistent performances week in week out and his selection in previous Wallaby squads will see him get his first crack. Higginbotham will be on the bench. Palu hasn't been up to scratch as of late although at his damaging best we are all aware of how dominant he can be. Hooper I've put him down on the bench because I believe Deans will go for a 5/2 split and if he does I believe he deserves a spot. Pocock enough said.

Halves Genia and Barnes in the test arena will show class and will steer the ship. Lealiifano also deserves a spot has been the form 10 of the competition and has a 90% goal kicking ratio this season hopeful of a crack.

Centres are a big toss up which affects the wing positions. KB (Kurtley Beale) and Digby will be selections in their positions, although it's unclear if O'Connor has passed the test with Deans at 12 this year. Coming up against the Welsh they will field a very big backline with Roberts out O'Connor would be my 12 with Horne at 13. Horne hasn't been at his flying form which could see Tapuai selected at 13 or even AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) but the past couple weeks his made a number of good reads and solid hits his defensive best could be around the corner. If AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) isn't thrown into the centres he will claim a wing spot.

The bench looking for players to provide impact and future Wallaby stars e.g. Pyle, Hooper, Lealiifano, Taps all deserve a spot in the squad with form under their belt. Unclear of the split 4/3 or 5/2 it'll be out of Hooper, Mowen, Palmer or a Halfback Phipps or White.

M

mon

I also agree, on current form I would pick both White & Lilo, they have been a very strong halves pairing for the Brumbies & glad to hear they're both staying. The future in the halves area looks good for the Brums & Wallabies.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
RD was asked in Brisbane last night what his wallabies 15 might be if picked tomorrow. This is my recollection of what he said:

1-3 waratahs front row combo, emphasis on combinations
4-5 Sharpe/Horwill (c)
6-8 Higginbotham/Pocock/Palu - Higgers doing more of the hard graft this year, Pocock needs no justification, Palu intimidates and gets over the advantage line
9 Genia (Depth here an issue, though White going well)
10 O'Connor, Barnes 'kick-happy' - better at 12
12 McCabe - physically and mentally tough, doesn't make mistakes, instrumental in a series of tough wins last year, Barnes needs the gap from 10
13 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)/Fainga'a/Horne depending on fitness and form (Not exactly tomorrow, in Faingaas case). Sure Fainga'a is limited but he is reliable and tough, can structure around him
11,14 Ioane and ...... No clear experienced standout second winger, so AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Kingston, Tomane, other youngsters in frame
15 Beale, but now he's getting his ability to run back he needs to get a lot of running to get back to peak fitness.

The challenge of picking teams for games against Scotland and Wales just a few days apart he talked about without any more detail than looking at players from the bye teams for the scotland test, and the challenge of not having players for even a week in some cases before the games.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Thanks for that vidiot.

No mention of Dennis was interesting. I'd pick him over Higginbotham whose errors are grating to me - and probably because some of the good things he does makes one gasp. You don't want to see the errors, such as fluffing lineout takes and dropping easy pills for the Wobs, to detract from his test performances, but they do. That could change. Ideal impact man from the bench though.

The picking of the teams for Scotland and Wales is going to be intriguing for both the home team and the visitors.

As everybody knows: Deans is going to use mostly Force and Reds players for the Scotland game but how do you get players who are usually run on Wallabies from those two teams, Reds principally, to start 4 days later against Wales? By playing the 7 best of them from the bench on the Tuesday?

I think there will be a few Reds who will be disadvantaged in the 1st Wales test because they had to play against Scotland.

The benefit to Deans is that he can have a good look at players that he wouldn't use otherwise: some who have never played for the Wobs in a 22, or only occasionally, and some starting who are usually bench players.

The disadvantage is that the Scotland game will be a banana skin. The quality of the Oz 22 will be diluted, and if the likes of Genia, Horwill and Ioane are on the bench so they can start on Saturday, the 15 will be Oz A standard, at best.

Mind you, Scotland has its own agenda. They will see the Wallabies as being vulnerable and may play their top team, but they are continuing on to Fiji and Samoa and may have a look at fringe players themselves.

As I said: intriguing.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
For once I agree with most of what Deans said.

You'd assume AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) will be on the other wing, he's been pretty solid this season. Backrow seems perfect, as is the second row and front row (Slipper and Kepu could go either way). Actually come to think of it Tatafu? Really? Only selected for combination purposes.

Why not have McCabe at 13 then Barnes at 12. Very suprised no mention of Tapuai and Dennis (although Higgers sneaks infront of him, due to my QLD bias :p )

Status
Not open for further replies.