• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies v France 3rd Test - 21 June Sydney

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm not alone in thinking Horwill's accuracy has been poor at the breakdown. Paul Cully:

He (Luke Jones) is probably best blooded in that environment rather than the heat of the Bledisloe, especially as the All Blacks showed in a ferocious 20-minute spell in the second half that conditioning beats size when it is accompanied by accuracy. James Horwill's rut continues. For all the obvious effort, he is not having the effect on games he has had. It is an area in which Kane Douglas' move to Ireland continues to look costly.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Is that not Palu between Slipper and Fardy? Who's in front of Weeks, looks like Higgers to me.
I thought that was Palu as well yesterday but then had some doubt because there was no strapping on his knee. It looks like Palu to me though.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I'm not alone in thinking Horwill's accuracy has been poor at the breakdown. Paul Cully:

^^^

Shock as Sydney journalist writes anti-Qld/Pro-NSW article in Sydney Newspaper

He like, like the other two dudes on The Roar all know who they work for and who their target markets are. If they are astute rugby critics, then they have long ago sold their sole to the dollar which binds them to their respective employers.

Mention local player's name in favour of out-of-towner in order to please the local populace as they read the newspaper whilst engaging in their morning ablutions.

Hardly worth using him as a reference piece.

T

Train Without a Station

One throwaway line without any reference to any examples of it. Horwill must be shit then!

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^

He like, like the other two dudes on The Roar all know who they work for and who their target markets are. If they are astute rugby critics, then they have long ago sold their sole to the dollar which binds them to their respective employers.

Mention local player's name in favour of out-of-towner in order to please the local populace as they read the newspaper whilst engaging in their morning ablutions.

Hardly worth using him as a reference piece.

You do realise Cully is an Irish-Kiwi who resides in NZ?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I reckon Horwill was OK - plenty of effort, maybe not the guy at the peak of his game in terms of effect, but couldn't be faulted on that effort. I think he'll improve each game in the Wallabies environment.
@gel - Paul Cully is a pretty good journo when it comes to rugby - his pieces are usually thought out with some analysis, not just sound-bites for a lapping readership. I wouldn't tar him with some others going around.

T

Train Without a Station

I agree with your summation of Cully. Just in this case stating a player remains in a "rut" without really backing it up with any example of what he is lacking probably wasn't his finest moment.

Reactions: gel

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
You do realise Cully is an Irish-Kiwi who resides in NZ?

...who writes for the Sydney Morning herald.

Irrelevant where he comes from or where he lives - he writes for the SMH, and that is the type of article that newspaper is constantly filled with.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I agree with your summation of Cully. Just in this case stating a player remains in a "rut" without really backing it up with any example of what he is lacking probably wasn't his finest moment.
I guess he means what a lot have said here - trying his arse off, but not making the impact he used to. That's probably typified his season - in a bit of a rut. A quality player who is busting a gut, but not in top form seems to me to be something you can work with as the attitude to perform is there. A player who is not making the effort is a different issue. This is why I think Horwill will improve.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
I agree attitude is important but is it physical with Horwill.
He has suffered some horrible injuries over the past 5 or so years, and maybe he's playing broken or busted because he's such a determined bastard.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I reckon Horwill was OK - plenty of effort, maybe not the guy at the peak of his game in terms of effect, but couldn't be faulted on that effort. I think he'll improve each game in the Wallabies environment.
@gel - Paul Cully is a pretty good journo when it comes to rugby - his pieces are usually thought out with some analysis, not just sound-bites for a lapping readership. I wouldn't tar him with some others going around.

I responded prior to reading your piece. I won't retract what I wrote because I do find he skews things for his target audience - but I won't continue it further.

T

Train Without a Station

I'm happy to be told I missed things, because I very well could have, but what I saw was him hitting rucks and putting players on the ground, and getting over the gain line with the ball in hand. Wasn't Skelton impact, but seemed test quality impact from what I did see.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
IIWII - maybe so, but he's putting in a lot of physical work, so I think he's fit enough. Anyway, I hope he starts again. If Skelton is to get time, as it sounds like he might, then maybe off the bench? We'll find out in a few hours.

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
We've seen far worse than kev but he has been way below his own standards which is probably why he he is trying so hard. Particularly how poorly the reds have played.

I'd rather see kev relax his way playing back into form rather than push too hard for it.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
.who writes for the Sydney Morning herald.

Irrelevant where he comes from or where he lives - he writes for the SMH, and that is the type of article that newspaper is constantly filled with.

He writes for Fairfax who are also based in NZ and his articles appear on the RugbyHeaven brand which are seen if you went on The Age or Brisbane Times. Stop with this Sydney bias rubbish.

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
James Horwill's rut continues. For all the obvious effort, he is not having the effect on games he has had.

I remember reading that article and scratching my head. Horwill did some good stuff. Not in career best form but an adequate performance for a starting test lock. If it wasn't for those two penalties I would have rated his performance right up there with the best on field.

Luke Jones didn't really do much when he came on. I cant really criticise his play but he didn't seem to stand out. Based on what I saw of the two players I certainly wouldn't be starting Jones in front of Horwill.

Before the June tests I was one of many touting Jones as a preferred starter. I'd currently say the hierarchy is as follows:-

1.Simo
2.Carter
3.Horwill
4.Jones
Skelton?

If Skelton starts this weekend and put in an impressive performance I could probably see him moving up to 3 or 4 on that list. Jones could potentially be down to 5th choice lock.

I have no problem with Horwill moving to the bench this week, because moving forward he's probably our preferred bench lock. He's pretty well rounded, can call a line-out, experienced, etc.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It's pretty odd that Simmons is the only full-time lock lineout caller in Australia. The Rebels, Brumbies and Tahs each have a backrower doing it and the Force have a Saffer. Assuming Carter/Fardy will be the locking combination next year for the Brumbies wonder which one will call.

T

Train Without a Station

They can call the line out all they like.

But unless they can improve to be better offensive and defensive jumpers, to the point they rarely lose it and regularly steal opposition ball, it's not that relevant.

That's one of Jones' biggest negatives in my view. He's an adequate line out operator, not great. But he doesn't have the bulk to play the tighter role.

The line out leading back rowers generally lack the bulk to provide the impact required at 8 for Australia.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I've been commenting this season that Horwill is doing a lot of work but not having a huge impact with it. I don't know whether it is injury related but I'd guess so.

Clearly it wasn't just Horwill, but there was a substantial drop in our breakdown speed and intensity on Saturday and personally I thought a big part of that was due to missing Palu. As one of the two changes to the forward pack (Carter and Palu; I'm not counting Moore as he had no real involvement in the first test), it's not surprising that Cully has made a comment regarding Horwill's impact and accuracy.

I don't think Horwill is far off at the moment. He's decreased the handling errors he was making early in the season and running the ball better. He's missing the physicality he used to possess in spades though. He's not currently one of the enforcers on the field that he used to be. Hopefully he gets that back soon.

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
.who writes for the Sydney Morning herald.

As a opposed to ... what? The lunar right agenda driven drivel over at the Murdoch "News" papers like the Tele or the Sun?

The Herald offers balance and decency, and is home to some great Sports columnists like Masters, Cully, Spiro Zavos and Georgina Robinson.

But hey, if you'd rather go read a paper that gets its League writers to do half the Rugby reporting and calls Ricky Stuart "the games best thinker" in League, then go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.