• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies v All Blacks Sydney

Status
Not open for further replies.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
I've got no problem with the backs. They were very good last week and I don't think dominant defence is the be-all and end-all. Where it is most important IMHO is in the centres and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is solid there and Giteau is no slouch either. I'd rather we played a more creative back line that asks questions of the All Blacks than purely try to shut them down. Let's take the game up to them for a change.

Sort of like "the best defence is a good attack"? I'd sort of agree with this. Constantly putting the AB's on the back foot when we have the ball will result in defensive lapses by them.

The only problem I have is that the AB's have shown how good they are on the counter-attack this year; if the Wob's go out with a 100% attacking mindset and cough up the ball, as they have done this year, the AB's will find great C-A opportunities.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Burgo does pull off some big hits (SBW anyone?) and on the whole I think he is a better defender than Sanchez, but he is pretty solid as well.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Anything to back that up? Stand alone statements are rarely convincing arguments.

the last three years of burgess defence should back that up. Burgo is the in form half back in australia, hopefully he gets some time and manages to not go into his normal hot/cold routine.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
the last three years of burgess defence should back that up. Burgo is the in form half back in australia, hopefully he gets some time and manages to not go into his normal hot/cold routine.

I know he's a good defender, but you can't just say "Burgess is a better defender than Genia" without any reasoning or evidence.

I hope Burgo gets some time off the bench this week; by all accounts, the energy he brought to the field was a major factor in getting the Wob's over the line in Bloemfontein.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
I agree that Burgess is a better hitter than Genia but both are very good defenders, Genia is the better all round halfback but I do want to see Burgess on for the last 30 minutes along with Berrick Barnes.

Dean should really clean out the bench for the last 20 minutes.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
No surprises at all in the squad.

As much as I am no fan of Ma'afu there is really nobody else in the squad to run on. Slipper offers much more but is also the LHP cover. So if Robo gets injured after 60 you would have a fresh Ma'afu to replace him and a buggered Slipper going to LHP. Better to start the limited Ma'afu and replace him at 30 mins.

After last weeks performance there were never going to be any unforced changes. IMO the team is still unbalanced with only one genuine winger in the 22 and no outside back reserves.

Much happier with McCalman starting as without Hodgeson on the bench Brown is needed as 7 coverage and I expect McCalman to improve, we already know what Brown's standard is and whilst his work rate is high he has little to no impact. It will be interesting to see Pocock's effectiveness this week against a much better backrow combination. IMO the Boks are very unbalanced with both Burger and Smith in the run on team.

Oh and Burgess is a better defender than Genia, in fact I would rate Burgess the best defensive halfback in Oz. Not only the example of the SBW tackle but his diving tackle on Aplon, last week, who was already passing him shows his technique and application is spot on.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
I know he's a good defender, but you can't just say "Burgess is a better defender than Genia" without any reasoning or evidence.

Er, we can't ? What, we all have to do an Austin now and put together a 10 minute video clip every day ?

Anyway, I'm less concerned with halfback defence and more concerned with midfield and back 3. ABs & Boks have been murdering us there when they have the ball. One thing I'd like to see improve is our backs committing to the rucks and slowing the ball down. The forwards can't do it all.

Lance Free

Arch Winning (36)
Some more from the press release - I've left out all the Robbie-speak (apart from “We can’t afford to continue to live in that moment,”).

What you'll notice is that in tomorrow's paper the lazy journo's just cut & paste from the press release....

"The addition of Lachie Turner in place of the injured Drew Mitchell is the only change to the Qantas Wallabies run on side that has been announced for Saturday night’s third Bledisloe Cup Test in Sydney.

Turner, who will feature in his 12th Test but figures for the first time in 2010, comes in after his state colleague Mitchell was ruled out due to a small hamstring tear that was sustained while scoring a try during last weekend’s thrilling 41-39 win over South Africa in Bloemfontein.

Turner played the most recent of his 11 Tests against New Zealand in Wellington last year, but was added to Australia’s touring party for the just completed two-Test trip to South Africa.

The NSW Waratahs winger, who played three Tests against the All Blacks in 2009, was recently named in the Australian Sevens squad to attend next month’s Commonwealth Games Sevens tournament in New Delhi, India.

The Wallabies playing roster named today features a further alteration on the bench, with Brumbies hooker Huia Edmonds taking over from the suspended Saia Fainga'a.

The New Zealand-born Edmonds made his Test debut earlier in the year against Fiji, and then appeared from the bench during the two Tests against England in June.

Edmonds is one of three Wallabies players named today who will be appearing against the All Blacks for the first time.

The others are flyhalf Quade Cooper and No 8 Ben McCalman.

Australia’s most recent success against New Zealand was achieved at ANZ Stadium two years ago when the Wallabies prevailed 34-19.

Last year, a late penalty goal enabled New Zealand to win the corresponding match 19-18.

Australia v New Zealand @ Sydney – Historical Notes

This is the 163rd match of a trans-Tasman rivalry that dates back to 1903 when New Zealand won the inaugural meeting 22-3 in Sydney.
This tally includes the 24 matches played between 1920 and 1928 when NSW represented Australia.
Of the 162 games played between the two nations, New Zealand has won 112 and Australia 45, with five draws – the most recent of which occurred 20 years ago, 19-19 in 1988.
This is the 51st trans-Tasman Test to be hosted in Sydney. New Zealand has prevailed on 30 occasions, and Australia 18, while two others were drawn.
The inaugural Test between the two nations at ANZ Stadium was held in 1999, when Australia scored a 28-7 victory.
Last year’s 19-18 win by New Zealand was the All Blacks’ fourth success at the ground in Bledisloe Cup Tests. Australia has won five of these games at ANZ Stadium and also won the 2003 Rugby World Cup semi-final between the two teams which was held at the venue. The Bledisloe Cup was not at stake in that match.
Saturday night represents the 28th Test match to have been played by the Qantas Wallabies at the Olympic Stadium since rugby union debuted at the ground when Australia beat England 22-15 in 1999.
Australia’s return from Tests at Homebush Bay currently stands at 21 wins and six defeats with England (2003 Rugby World Cup final & earlier this year) and New Zealand (2000, 2003, 2005 & 2009) the only visiting sides to have prevailed at the venue.
The Bledisloe Cup was donated by the then Governor General of New Zealand, Lord Bledisloe, for competition between the two countries in 1931.
Australia won the trophy for the first time in 1934, beating New Zealand 25-11 in Sydney.
The 21-point winning margin the Wallabies achieved in the inaugural Bledisloe Cup Test at ANZ Stadium in 1999 was a record Australian win over New Zealand, while the 34 points scored during the most recent win in 2008 was Australia’s highest ever winning score over the All Blacks.
Matt Giteau was the only Australian player to score points from the Qantas Wallabies’ two Test appearances at ANZ Stadium last year, scoring 22 against France and 18 against New Zealand".

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
LOL!!! Forget about Burgess and Genia - the All Blacks are going to be running all day long at Quade Cooper, the bloke can't defend to save himself.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
LOL!!! Forget about Burgess and Genia - the All Blacks are going to be running all day long at Quade Cooper, the bloke can't defend to save himself.

That's why with 25 or 30 to go you bring on a fresh Burgess who can help cover Quade who drops off more and more tackles. This can't be left just for Pocock and McCalman. Notice that two of the tries last week went down Quade's channel and McCalman missed the tackles in the second half. Perhaps consider bringing on Brown a bit earlier as the defensive requirements on the backrow to cover for Cooper are pretty onerous.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Sort of like "the best defence is a good attack"? I'd sort of agree with this. Constantly putting the AB's on the back foot when we have the ball will result in defensive lapses by them.

The only problem I have is that the AB's have shown how good they are on the counter-attack this year; if the Wob's go out with a 100% attacking mindset and cough up the ball, as they have done this year, the AB's will find great C-A opportunities.

That's more or less it. Defence needs to be effective, of course, but I'd rather we focus on trying to win the game through positive play and be accurate in our tackling as opposed to laying the smackdown on D and crash balling all evening.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
That's why with 25 or 30 to go you bring on a fresh Burgess who can help cover Quade who drops off more and more tackles. This can't be left just for Pocock and McCalman. Notice that two of the tries last week went down Quade's channel and McCalman missed the tackles in the second half. Perhaps consider bringing on Brown a bit earlier as the defensive requirements on the backrow to cover for Cooper are pretty onerous.

Absolutely. Deans will need to get fresh legs on with plenty of time to go, as the boys will be tired from last week and all the travelling.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I just noticed when you look at our backline, apart from AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) n Genia there are no dominant defenders. Not one of them are capable of putting on a big hit. Gits u could say is a decent defender but lacks size to scare any opponent. Turner was the best defensive wing in the S14 but I can never recall him making an actual dominant tackle. Defensive is a real problem, it would be great to have a backline filled with players who can dominate in a tackle.

Just wondering how many backlines you can name where there are 'dominant' defenders across the park? Hardly any wings, fullbacks or flyhalfs are dominant defenders, and nor do they need to be - they need to be effective defenders.

Defensive wise I'd just be happy for Beale, JOC (James O'Connor) and Cooper to make their tackles, or in Cooper's case at least act as a speed bump when the opposition is attacking our line.

Scotty

David Codey (61)

Good point Gnostic. And I think Brown can actually make an impact with his workrate and aggression off the bench, where his lack of size isn't as much of an issue.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)

Yes but no. There are Canes players from 9 to 13 who know exactly how to aid Cruden in defence. Kafe on the rugby club last night was right in saying they should look wider when the All Blacks compress to cover Cruden.

L

Linus

Both the WB and the AB's have the same issue at 10, whether you compress, change the defensive line (ie have Cooper/Cruden on the wing or at fullback)or use the loosies to cover the channel both teams will have the same issue. It about who defends it better or exploits the opportunity.

Status
Not open for further replies.