• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies v All Blacks, Saturday 19th August, ANZ Stadium Sydney

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
It's a combination of both. Poor systems and poor selections. Kerevi a stand-out poor performer, but that is surely magnified by selecting a poor defender inside and outside him. Kerevi would have surely looked better if he had either Gits, Lilo inside him - players who can manage a defensive line.

The system is poor.

Selecting a poor defenders at 10.12. and 13 is batshit crazy too.

It's like Cheika want's to magnify our weaknesses rather then balance them out. Just like how he selects poor kickers at flyhalf and fullback.

I know what you are saying, perhaps Larkham wants Kerevi for his attack? Whatever that is supposed to be, shuffle it sidesways to one out runners to bash into the defence on the gain line for 10-12 times or until dropped/turned over.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
We have enough good players but a shit coach and shit administration, that has never worked and isn't about to now. We started rotting from the head and we are about 33% done, a long way to go. Won't necessarily be crappier just more of the same on and on with the occasional good performance at the end of every series to stop any major changes.
I'm biased, but even with the crappy administration and the same squad I think the Force coaching panel could make a huge difference.
As I have said for years we made a big mistake not selecting Jake

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I'm struggling to fathom how that was a new defensive system, as it looked kinda like the shitty ones seen on multiple occasions at different levels in recent years. Hmm. A rebranded turd.
That said, watch a replay and watch Kerevi's very ponderous work. Now, if he is not sure where he is supposed to be, then the system sucks. But it does not explain how lethargically he was moving in what I'm guessing was supposed to be a covering / sweeping role. The intensity and read were not good.
Of course, he was not the only problem in that defensive clusterfuck in the first 40 mins at all, but it just stood out.
Hard to imagine how Kuridrani looked the worse option of the two at the selection meeting. In any way.
Folau is getting even worse at defensive positioning, and I'm not convinced having him on the wing would be better. His run stats will look good and he had the nice offload for Kuridrani's try, but not much else to be overjoyed about. I'd bench him, put Beale at 15.
TPN showed a lot of dynamism compared to Moore, 3 of 4 props were pretty good, Robertson a bit meh. Locks good, backrow "meh".
The attack is OK, failed to finish a couple of chances but stuff was happening. I can kinda see how Phipps' speed fits Cheika's plan, but it works best in the last 20-30 when the opposition might be less structured. Powell probably would too. In fact Powell might be a better starting option than a finishing option, I reckon. Genia was not at his best - need him there soon. Whatever the situation, putting 34 on the All Blacks is not nothing. Buuuuuuuuuuut............The defence is just off the charts awful. And it is not looking likely to get better, despite having a "new" structure! Blergh.

T

TOCC

He was horrible in attack and his defense was shocking. If TK had started there is no way we would have been down 40 at half time. Kervei was at fault in the first 3 tries. He is there for his attack but the Wallabies looked so much better with the ball in hand when TK was outside of Foley and Beale.
Our defensive frailties in the mid-field began when Kerevi was introduced against England last year. I hate to point the finger at one player but he is a huge all around problem for this side.
Beale/TK next week with Hodge on the bench.

Ahh what bullshit, out of that 3 match series against England the most points the Wallabies conceded was when a Kerevi wasn't even in the team and Lealifano and Kuridrani were the starters.

In Australias biggest loss of the 2016 Rugby Championshop against the All Blacks, again Kerevi wasn't in the team. . Even this year, Australia conceded the most points on Australia soil against both the Italians and Scotland, that is, neither team has ever scored more points against Australia in Australia, of which Kerevi played neither game.

Kerevi is a cheap defender, but he isn't the cause of the defensive frailties of the wallabies and anyone who claims otherwise is looking for a scapegoat. Wallabies have had huge defensive frailties for the past 2 years regardless of centre pairing, which suggests issues with the defensive patterns rather then individuals themselves.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
What PP did was both unprofessional and insulting. Barnes felt a need to call him out twice and continue with it after play had moved on. Hooper may be entitled to question but would have been a very dumb move. Barnes was clearly personally insulted and could have easily reversed it and sent PP off. Australia captains already have a hard enough time dealing with refs.

There is a time and a place for everything. That wasn't it.
Hooper dealt with it well. He captained well tonight. He didnt 7 well, but he captained well.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I don't think there is any point watching any rugby the All blacks are involved with anymore. It's just not worth it. The result is already known. It's getting boring. How are they so dominant and for so long?

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk
They drew the lions and England will be better than the lions were.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
We need to outsource our coaching team asap. Grey is shockers. They would surely defend better with no defensive coach and in their requisite positions?

T

TOCC

You're high if you think that swapping in a player or two is going to improve our defence to the point where we are competitive. This isn't the NFL- rugby defence needn't be complicated but there's something horribly wrong what the players are being asked to do. I'd guess that Grey is almost exclusively responsible for defence and that his credentials consist solely of being ugly and a good tackler when he played. He's presumably a good bloke and slightly rough around the edges, which seems to be the primary attribute for obtaining a coaching position

Agreed, Grey needs to be held accountable, only 3 teams conceded more tries then the Waratahs in 2017, yet Grey is promoted to Wallabies defensive coach. Wallabies defence has been on a downward trajectory since the RWC, with no common factor across the selections suggesting any single player has made any difference to the overall trend.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Ahh what bullshit, out of that 3 match series against England the most points the Wallabies conceded was when a Kerevi wasn't even in the team and Lealifano and Kuridrani were the starters.

In Australias biggest loss of the 2016 Rugby Championshop against the All Blacks, again Kerevi wasn't in the team. . Even this year, Australia conceded the most points on Australia soil against both the Italians and Scotland, that is, neither team has ever scored more points against Australia in Australia, of which Kerevi played neither game.

Kerevi is a cheap defender, but he isn't the cause of the defensive frailties of the wallabies and anyone who claims otherwise is looking for a scapegoat. Wallabies have had huge defensive frailties for the past 2 years regardless of centre pairing, which suggests issues with the defensive patterns rather then individuals themselves.

Kerevi was the worst defender on the pitch last night and had a hand in letting in 3 of the first 4 tries.
Agree that the systems need to change and the defensive coach but what do you think the odds are of that happening any time soon?

T

TOCC

Kerevi was the worst defender on the pitch last night and had a hand in letting in 3 of the first 4 tries.
Agree that the systems need to change and the defensive coach but what do you think the odds are of that happening any time soon?

Agreed he was, and like many on here said, a centre pairing of Beale and Kerevi was never going to work defensively. It was a stupid selection by Cheika to start with, Cheika and his shit selections as well as Greys poor coaching should be held accountable.

It may be crass to quote yourself, but if us casual punters can identify this shit then why can't Cheika, this is from a week ago:

I don't like Beale in the centres, defensively the Wallabies need some starch in their backs. Wallabies won't win the game by a defensive game plan, but they won't win by letting the All Blacks rack up 50. For that same reason i would consider Kuridrani a better option at 13 instead of Kerevi. If Cheika is intent on Beale, then play him at 15.

T

TOCC

I'm struggling to fathom how that was a new defensive system, as it looked kinda like the shitty ones seen on multiple occasions at different levels in recent years. Hmm. A rebranded turd.
That said, watch a replay and watch Kerevi's very ponderous work. Now, if he is not sure where he is supposed to be, then the system sucks. But it does not explain how lethargically he was moving in what I'm guessing was supposed to be a covering / sweeping role. The intensity and read were not good.
Of course, he was not the only problem in that defensive clusterfuck in the first 40 mins at all, but it just stood out.
Hard to imagine how Kuridrani looked the worse option of the two at the selection meeting. In any way.
Folau is getting even worse at defensive positioning, and I'm not convinced having him on the wing would be better. His run stats will look good and he had the nice offload for Kuridrani's try, but not much else to be overjoyed about. I'd bench him, put Beale at 15.
TPN showed a lot of dynamism compared to Moore, 3 of 4 props were pretty good, Robertson a bit meh. Locks good, backrow "meh".
The attack is OK, failed to finish a couple of chances but stuff was happening. I can kinda see how Phipps' speed fits Cheika's plan, but it works best in the last 20-30 when the opposition might be less structured. Powell probably would too. In fact Powell might be a better starting option than a finishing option, I reckon. Genia was not at his best - need him there soon. Whatever the situation, putting 34 on the All Blacks is not nothing. Buuuuuuuuuuut....The defence is just off the charts awful. And it is not looking likely to get better, despite having a "new" structure! Blergh.

I wouldn't drop Folau, just shift him to wing like we keep asking for, he has the perfect skillset for a winger. Bring Meakes into the centres, he isn't much creatively, but that's not what the Wallabies need, they need a 12 who can run straight and tackle hard.

15 Beale
14 Speight
13 Kuridrani
12 Meakes
11 Folau
10 Foley
9 Genia

However I agree, this defence "pattern" is a crock of shit, Beale was shifting to the wing with Kerevi moving to 12 and Rona to 13.. it was a debacle

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Anyway, the whole thing is a nightmare on the back the ARU capitulation and our worst Super Rugby season ever.

There is no light at the end of the tunnel.........

Dismal Pillock

David Codey (61)
1st 10 mins, feeling out period

10th-40th minute, Straya defend like Wollongong Crippled Childrens Burn Clinic 3rd XV and NZ take the opportunities presented them.

2nd half: NZ concede 4 tries and miss 40 ffs fucking tackles.

In summary, the shittiest 54 points piled on Australia in rugby test match history.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I wouldn't drop Folau, just shift him to wing like we keep asking for, he has the perfect skillset for a winger. Bring Meakes into the centres, he isn't much creatively, but that's not what the Wallabies need, they need a 12 who can run straight and tackle hard.

15 Beale
14 Speight
13 Kuridrani
12 Meakes
11 Folau
10 Foley
9 Genia

However I agree, this defence "pattern" is a crock of shit, Beale was shifting to the wing with Kerevi moving to 12 and Rona to 13.. it was a debacle
Kerevi was sweeping more than defending at 12. He looked lost. And Folau was awful defending on the wing, so I'm not sold playing him there. Despite his other benefits.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

K

KAOPointman

Once again I see a blind eye being turned towards one of the Key roles..."playmaker".(FOLEY) A role only Beale showed adept at at all during the game!!!

SO....here we go again. I promised this would happen again! here's my assessment of "BERNARD FOLEYS" impacts in this game, both good and bad. Feel free to debate them......but please remain calm at all times ;)

4th min. Foley kicks penalty from directly in front. Nothing earth shattering.

10th min. Despite commentators saying the wallabies were outnumbered...they were NOT.....Speight moved up to make a pressurising tackle.....leaving Kerevi to move across to cover his number........which HE DID.(Kerevi on Ioane). Foley didn't trust his inside man(now Kerevi)...he came in off the winger and allowed Squire to run past him! Defensive 101 fail from Foley pure and simple!

15th min. Foley kicks another easy penalty!

First 20 mins...no attacking impact from foley....plenty from Beale/Folau and a bit from Rona and Kerevi, with Genia providing quick ball with about 60% Wallaby possession.

21st min Foley stuffs up cleaning up a loose ball.....flicks it straight in front of Beale for another AB runaway try! (Some of you will say "but he didn't throw the first loose pass".....No he didn't, but he did get to that loose pass 1ST and choose to flick a stupid no look rubbish ball to no one....remember he's our "playmaker who should have great hands and make great spare of the moment calls"). Moving on.....

23rd min. Foley somehow attempts the most inept/half hearted high ball catch attempt this year.....with no one coming through behind with catching priority within 10m, it was 1000%always his catch! VERY poor...again!

26th min. Foley drops a classic contested highball, but is saved by it going backwards and the refs modern interpretation being rather pedantic about mid air contact that takes away any Folou like expectation when catching a highball in traffic! Not a massive deal....but worth noting if a easy kick in front my grandma could make makes it on his highlights reel......and it does.

Half time. Not much of note in the last 15 mins with very little Aus ball.

42nd min. Foley slips over and gets stepped while making a desperate covering tackle after a Ioane break. Seconds earlier he tripped making a regulation pass turning it into a "dive pass". (In case you missed that one)

46th min. Foley passes a hospital pass short ball to Coleman leading to a turnover.

52nd min. Foley plays no role in Rona try. He converts another easy kick!

55th min. Foley at least passes out for the Tevita Folou show to unfold for their try!(grasping at straws to involve him in that one)

60th min. Foley once again(with ABs on the back foot) throws a weird cut out ball to no one in particular, that leaves Simmons taking the blame for having to reach up and behind himself 60ft in the air and knocking on(Yes, that's a pass from our wallaby "playmaker")

61st min. Foley converts kurtleys try with a good kick from out wide. Now 5 from 5.

64th min. Foley passes a pretty slick short ball, but unfortunately not into any space.

66th min. Foley makes another ok switch play.....but slips over leaving the man on his inside...Hooper, too run to the break down which we then loose. Without slipping over Foley would clearly have been the closest player and could have at least helped clean out ALBrown.(everyone else was either dummy runners and past the play, inside or outside the set play too far to help. Definitely Foley could have contributed to keeping possession without slipping over! (I inderstand crud happens.....but once again, he's not a lock or a tired prop.....he's supposed to be a dependable skilful athlete) and if you watch the replay, Foley actual gets up...sees the ruck being dominated and starts pointing at the forwards 5m to his right to get in there......nothing much on its own but once again it seems to be adding up and showing a theme!

68th min. Foley throws an UGLY, RISKY pass that floats into no mans land...AGAIN....and gets a lucky try assist involvement from a good pickup from Folau
Converts try for a 6/6.

70th min. Foley performs a crazy chip n chase 1m from our try line.....:0 with no chasers.....luckily he gets taken out...... ;)

74th min. Foley chucks his hands in the air and stops chasing hard after a AB linebreak with a forward pass.....the point being he's the only wallaby not playing the whistle. Luckily it gets pulled back......maybe some extra attitude lessons during the week for him...... :)

76th min Foley gets charged down 1m out...gets veery lucky, saves a Barret try....
Game over

This time I've explained each moment in more detail to prevent the sheep who actual havnt even seen the game making uneducated digs about the incidents! And please remember.....this is my critique on Foleys performance.....no one else...win or loose.

Overall I loved this game. Wallabies looked good first 15 and most of the second half....a few lapses in concentration costing dearly in the first half. Speight was awesome. Reiko was awesome and Beale Rona and Kuridrani made impacts. AB back row was crazy in the first half! I think wallabies bench performed better for a refreshing change... (Bar Robinson...I don't get why he's fancied at all....but hey, I'm a backs guy)Bring on next week :) :)

I'll leave this parting comment....one I've made many times here before........."If that was Quade playing like that...he'd never play again

flat_eric

Alfred Walker (16)
1st 10 mins, feeling out period

10th-40th minute, Straya defend like Wollongong Crippled Childrens Burn Clinic 3rd XV and NZ take the opportunities presented them.

2nd half: NZ concede 4 tries and miss 40 ffs fucking tackles.

In summary, the shittiest 54 points piled on Australia in rugby test match history.

I hope one day we will be in a position to complain about putting 54 points on a team (let alone the All Blacks), but I'm not holding my breath.

K

KAOPointman

15 Beale
14 Speight
13 Kuridrani
12 Meakes
11 Folau
10 Foley
9 Genia

So what's wrong with Foley at 12. He runs straight and hard.....he doesn't have the natural attacking vision needed at 10. He's constantly putting players under more pressure, as seen AGAIN tonight with quite a few blind passes to Arnhem Land....or doing nothing at all and just shifting the ball. He may as well be a 9. When Cheik tried Quade and Foley at 10 an 12 respectively last year....Foley looked at home.....and we at least had a 10 with some attacking flair and natural game. Chuck Beale at 10 at least. It's not our attack that's the problem....it's our forwards that are often the bigger liability in my view. When our forwards shape up.....our attack is often on fire!
But surely Folou being the best guy under the high ball in the world, has to be at 15....surely.

Status
Not open for further replies.