• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies Squad - the Link Era

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
So TPN has been left out due to still being injured. Given that there are only two hookers in the squad you'd figure he is pencilled in to join the squad once fit.

Barnes and Timani have both been left out (but are also both going overseas).

Interesting that Mike Harris is in the squad and Ben Tapuai isn't.

I reckon Rob Horne is probably the unluckiest player to miss out altogether. His 2013 Super Rugby form has been far superior to Harris or Fainga'a.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
I was impressed with Betham this season but don't think he did enough to earn a call up.

Would actually have picked Tom English if selected a unblooded winger as he impressed both on the wing and at 13. Seemed to break the line every time he touched the ball.

Try-ranosaurus Rex

Darby Loudon (17)
The one I'm most surprised about is Harris. I wonder what position they see him as:10, 12 or 15?

He hasn't been able to crack the Reds XV for weeks now. Maybe his kicking prowess is enough for him to be considered?

Deputy Van Halen

Larry Dwyer (12)
Solid squad, some well deserved debutantes. I'm not sure on Mike Harris or A Fainga'a but I guess midfield stocks are thin (shame about Godwin being injured, when did that happen?) Taps has dropped a long way not to be considered above those two.

Interestingly only two hookers also?

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Barnes and Timani have both been left out (but are also both going overseas).

Interesting to hear his comments on Kimlin's inclusion. Said he quite liked the player and sees him in the frame and that it is unforunate he made a decision to go overseas while not in the sites of Wallabies selectors.

Interesting that Mike Harris is in the squad and Ben Tapuai isn't.

I reckon Rob Horne is probably the unluckiest player to miss out altogether. His 2013 Super Rugby form has been far superior to Harris or Fainga'a.

Horne is unlucky. Think Fainga'a will be seen as a 12 with Kuridrani's inclusion.

Harris is warranted over Tapuai on the back of there form this year.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Australia's new coach Ewen McKenzie announced the following training squad for the Rugby Championship on Friday:
Backs: Peter Betham, Chris Feauai-Sautia, Bernard Foley, Mike Harris, Tevita Kuridrani, Jesse Mogg, Quade Cooper, Nick Cummins, Israel Folau, Joe Tomane, Nick Cummins, Adam Ashley-Cooper, Matt To'omua, Christian Leali'ifano, Anthony Fainga'a, James O'Connor, Will Genia, Nick Phipps, Nic White.
Forwards: Dave Dennis, Kane Douglas, Saia Fainga'a, Scott Fardy, Michael Hooper, Liam Gill, Peter Kimlin, Ben McCalman, Hugh McMeniman, Ben Mowen, Rob Simmons, James Horwill, James Slipper, Ben Alexander, Benn Robinson, Sekope Kepu, Stephen Moore, Hugh Pyle, Paddy Ryan, Jake Schatz, Scott Sio.
Yup Paddy is in.

Foxsports is listing:

Squad: Ben Alexander, Adam Ashley-Cooper, Peter Betham, Quade Cooper, Nick Cummins, Dave Dennis, Kane Douglas, Anthony Fainga'a, Saia Fainga'a, Scott Fardy, Chris Feauai-Sautia, Israel Folau, Bernard Foley, Will Genia, Liam Gill, Mike Harris, Michael Hooper, James Horwill, Sekope Kepu, Peter Kimlin, Tevita Kuridrani, Christian Leali'ifano, Ben McCalman, Hugh McMeniman, Jesse Mogg, Stephen Moore, Ben Mowen, James O'Connor, Nick Phipps, Tatafu Polota Nau, Hugh Pyle, Benn Robinson, Paddy Ryan, Jake Schatz, Rob Simmons, Scott Sio, James Slipper, Joe Tomane, Matt To'omua, Nic White.
TPN is in the Foxsports squad but not in the one you posted.
They both have 40 names. I can't work out the missing name from the second list...

Edit: I worked it out. Your list had Cummins twice.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
Like the inclusion of 3 10s though. Puts pressure on Quade and makes sure we have a good stock ready to step up when needed. None of this playing a winger or fullback at 10.

Deputy Van Halen

Larry Dwyer (12)
Oh yeah Horne is missing? That's a real surprise considering how thin the midfield is looking. He's had his best form yet this year I reckon.

T

Train Without a Station

The one I'm most surprised about is Harris. I wonder what position they see him as:10, 12 or 15?

I think that really answers his value as a squad player and potential reserve over Horne.

Definitely unlucky for Horne. I probably would have had him close to our 30 man squad if not in it.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Props: Alexander, Slipper, Sio, Robinson, Ryan, Kepu
Hooker: Moore, Fainga'a, TPN
Locks: Douglas, Fardy, Horwill, MMM, Pyle, Simmons
Backrow: Dennis, Gill, Hooper, Kimlin, McCalman, Mowen, Shatz
Halfback: Genia, Phipps, White
10: Cooper, Foley, To'omua
Wing: Cummins, CFS, Tomane, Betham
Centre: AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Kuridrani, Fainga'a, Harris, Lealiifano
Fullback: Mogg, Folau, JOC (James O'Connor)

T

Train Without a Station

Oh yeah Horne is missing? That's a real surprise considering how thin the midfield is looking. He's had his best form yet this year I reckon.

Kurindrani, Lilo, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Fainga'a, Feaui-Sautia, Mike Harris.

I wouldn't say thin exactly. 4 test capped options and 2 quality younger players.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
A good start by Link, but with 40 names it wasn't hard. Be more of a challenge when it's reduced to 30.

On the squad, I think Harris is very lucky to be included, and Sam Carter is most unlucky to miss out. I would prefer Horne to Harris.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
When you drop 10 names from the squad you'd figure:

Betham, Fardy or Pyle, Harris, Ryan or Sio, Schatz, Dennis or McCalman, F-Sautia, Foley plus a couple more or alternatively both players listed in a couple of my either/or options.

Status
Not open for further replies.