• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies Assistant Coaches

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Aus seems to use the employment approach that assistant coaches move forward in their speciality to the Wobs and then potentially move on to S15 or other O/S slots as coaches. Link, Foley & Graham all went through these steps

D

daz

I see France have overtaken the Saffa's at 3rd spot on the IRB rankings.

When was the last time a non-SH team was in the top 3?

But to put this into the context of the current discussion/thread, I note the Wallabies are still ranked #2. Damn, we really are a fucking basket case....imagine what would happen if we actually had a clue.

Sorry, sarcasm being the lowest form of wit, etc, etc. But look, my point is, how can it be so doom and gloom? Of course the Wallabies could do things better. Of course Deans is not the Master Coach (and I have never heard him talk himself up, btw), and of course the ARU could do with a bit of a re-org.

But we are #2. If we are so fucked up, imagine how bad the other nations must be....

kiap

Steve Williams (59)

Doesn't mean much, as SA haven't played since we beat them in the QF. If SA had won that game (and they probably should have) then we would not be #2. Wales are a better team than France.

D

daz

Doesn't mean much, as SA haven't played since we beat them in the QF. If SA had won that game (and they probably should have) then we would not be #2. Wales are a better team than France.

I take your point, but I do think it means something.

Firstly, I was merely using the rankings as a means of highlighting my point in the previous post, but also, if I recall correctly, don't the rankings at the end of this year dictate the pool leaders for the 2015RWC draw?

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
I take your point, but I do think it means something.

Firstly, I was merely using the rankings as a means of highlighting my point in the previous post, but also, if I recall correctly, don't the rankings at the end of this year dictate the pool leaders for the 2015RWC draw?

I thought is was based on where you ended on the last RWC? i.e. AB's, France, Wallabies, & Wales will be the leaders in RWC2015.

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Nah, that changed after the 2007 tournament, now based at the end of this year. Once the top seeds are locked in the qualification process begins based on the the areas and rankings.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Nah, that changed after the 2007 tournament, now based at the end of this year. Once the top seeds are locked in the qualification process begins based on the the areas and rankings.

There you go. Learn something new every day.

Just on another tread MrTimms (formal) - are you media accredited just fore GAGR or for your 'day' job as well?

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Re the No 2 ranking. Meh.

The vast majority of 'everyday' rugby fans I know - not the raging passionistas typically found here - don't give a flying fuck about IRB rankings or even know what they are (or the odd way they are often calculated that can defy common sense assessments).

Instead, they care about what most Australian sports fans care about: are the Aussies regularly beating the best in the world or locally and are the Aussie teams winning the big prestigious trophies?

When many of my rugby mates see us doing a poor job over time at beating the ABs even at home, losing pathetically to England at home, and we're told we're a real top chance to win the RWC and are then embarrassed by Ireland and fall apart v the ABs, the doubts set in and the interest wanes.

Inversely, the Reds phenomenal 2010-11 resurgence and champions status has had a major transformational effect on rugby support and enthusiasm here in QLD, on top of all the business-critical positive KPIs like Foxtel viewership numbers, etc.

Another thing: critiquing the way the Australian game is professionally managed and observing deficiencies therein is not, repeat not, 'doom and gloom', rather it's based upon a genuine passion to see Australian rugby fulfill its potential as the fantastic sport it is, a potential that is incontestably not being optimally fulfilled by its designated leaders in 2012.

So, I shall not desist and join the sugar-coating cheerleaders seduced by the ARU's introverted and self-praising PR strategies.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?wqhfge

D

daz

RH, your passion to see the Wallabies become the greatest team in the history of human sport is beaten only by your ability to regurgitate the same old diatribe with every post. Seriously, I read the first few lines and I can recite the rest from memory.

I admire your passion on this subject, I really do, but sprouting the same old, same old does nothing to make it happen. If you feel that strongly about it, and you feel the ARU is incapable in it's current form to meet your lofty demands, then it's up to you to do something about it. Go and replace JON in a bloody coup; you obviously know how to fix the problems.

Talk, my friend, is cheap. I know it and have reconciled myself to being the prototype armchair expert. I do not give myself any more credit than that.

You sir, are a man of words that simply must be turned into action. Go get 'em.

I hope and pray you succeed. I'll see to it there is a bronze statue of you at the entrance to every stadium in Australia and I'll get Foxsports to name the player of the year medal after you.

I'll do anything you want, if you would please just change the fucking record.

S

spooony

I thought is was based on where you ended on the last RWC? i.e. AB's, France, Wallabies, & Wales will be the leaders in RWC2015.
No third and 4th play offs in a WC determine where you will be in the next WC. 4th place means your on a collision course with the AB. 3rd not

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Please read and think before you write. The 3rd/4th RWC play-off doesn't guarantee anything at the next RWC anymore, as MrTimms has already posted.

The bands for the 2015 Pool Allocation Draw will be decided based on the rankings in December 2012.

(IRB.COM) Friday 3 February 2012 said:
The 12 automatic qualifiers from Rugby World Cup 2011 will be drawn into three bands according to their IRB World Rankings at the end of the autumn internationals in Europe, with each band then being drawn across the four pools.

link

If the rankings in December were the same as now, then world champions New Zealand, Australia, France and South Africa would form band one; Wales, England, Argentina, Ireland band two; and Tonga, Samoa, Scotland and Italy band three.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
RH, your passion to see the Wallabies become the greatest team in the history of human sport is beaten only by your ability to regurgitate the same old diatribe with every post. Seriously, I read the first few lines and I can recite the rest from memory. I admire your passion on this subject, I really do, but sprouting the same old, same old does nothing to make it happen. If you feel that strongly about it, and you feel the ARU is incapable in it's current form to meet your lofty demands, then it's up to you to do something about it. Go and replace JON in a bloody coup; you obviously know how to fix the problems. Talk, my friend, is cheap. I know it and have reconciled myself to being the prototype armchair expert. I do not give myself any more credit than that. You sir, are a man of words that simply must be turned into action. Go get 'em. I hope and pray you succeed. I'll see to it there is a bronze statue of you at the entrance to every stadium in Australia and I'll get Foxsports to name the player of the year medal after you. I'll do anything you want, if you would please just change the fucking record.

Thanks daz, most gracious of you to take the time, I can sense the wry satisfaction you feel at the end of these posts as the wit and message builds paragraph by paragraph. You do remind of the poster that grumbles: 'Watching as I do every episode of The Rugby Club, I detest every damn one.' And you're like an old companion to me; I walk in my favourite park, and I know that terrier will soon find me, snapping at my heels with an angry munch, yet, still, there's an affectionate familiarity to the engagement.

On the subject of repetition, I do earnestly recall your routine encouragement to Deans in the 2010 and 2011 Wallabies threads, you'd often be quiet after the debacles, but once the dazzling backs returned to score the winning tries, you'd be there cheering us all on with cries of (paraphrasing): '...see everyone, it's really coming together nicely for the RWC, Deans is developing the squad in just the right way for 2011, the doubters won't permit themselves the enjoyment of victories to come...' Nothing wrong with that, but you've got to watch the patronising lecturing to others after a losing bet they advised you not to make.

One problem RH has with his hate (or 'broken record') mail is the author's typical anger at my findings as to the poor state of the emperor's clothing, and his or her utter unwillingness to admit they were wrong in their prior sightings of a gorgeously woven three-piece suit.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Jnor cannot stand idly by while RH refers to himself in the third person.

Quality posts, both daz and RH

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
RH, your passion to see the Wallabies become the greatest team in the history of human sport is beaten only by your ability to regurgitate the same old diatribe with every post. Seriously, I read the first few lines and I can recite the rest from memory.

I admire your passion on this subject, I really do, but sprouting the same old, same old does nothing to make it happen. If you feel that strongly about it, and you feel the ARU is incapable in it's current form to meet your lofty demands, then it's up to you to do something about it. Go and replace JON in a bloody coup; you obviously know how to fix the problems.

Talk, my friend, is cheap. I know it and have reconciled myself to being the prototype armchair expert. I do not give myself any more credit than that.

You sir, are a man of words that simply must be turned into action. Go get 'em.

I hope and pray you succeed. I'll see to it there is a bronze statue of you at the entrance to every stadium in Australia and I'll get Foxsports to name the player of the year medal after you.

I'll do anything you want, if you would please just change the fucking record.

Two seasons ago I started a thread with the question "Should Deans be sacked" or word to that effect. This was met with a huge level of derision and some acrimony. RH had differing reasons to me for asking the same question. We did however at that time predict the outcomes we have seen since. Prescience? Nostradamus as one derisive poster stated with obvious sarcasm that even the interweb could convey? Of course not. Just passionate fans actually following the game on all its levels. I love to applaud great play and great management, (even the odd bit of luck) and so I loved to watch the Reds last year, on all levels it was a brilliant season with some lows thrown in to add a nice counterpoint to the success. I found less enjoyment from the Tahs not because they play a narrow game (which can be great Rugby when executed well) but because of the excuses and same old poor execution and "trying not to lose" mindset.

To to subject at point the Wallabies continued as they had been under Deans from the start, horrendously inconsistant in application and then the master stroke, throw out three years of game plan and selection to play an ultra conservative game plan based totally on defence and yet continue to select a purely attacking 10 and then blame him for the failure to fire.

Broken record. No I don't think so. Those of us who play this tune are only reacting to the sweep of the baton from TMC (The Master Conductor). When he shows the ability to change the tune we can too. Speaking for myself I would love to feel positive about the Wallabies again, but then I think about the current contracting mess with th eplayers and the fact that this virtually guarentees the Wallabies are already picked regardless of form or fitness I realise that until Deans goes along with JON I doubt that we will see any improvement in results. There will be some stirring hard fought wins and then the loss to a Samoa or Ireland or England in games where the Wallabies just fail to show up at all or just display terrible skills and application. Most attrocious of all was the comment from the coach recently about the 2015 RWC and the Wallabies being very well placed if the players learnt anything from the 2011 RWC.

There is only really one broken record and that is the endless repitition of undying trust, support and excuses for a coach and manager who has failed any reasonable assessment for his tenure.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)

When was the last time a non-SH team was in the top 3?

Last time was June 2010 when France were 3rd and Australia 4th.

Reactions: daz

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Posted this is the Red thread then thought it might be better suited here.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/quade-ruled-out-of-early-tests/story-e6frg7mf-1226277590318

Comment from Deans.

"I see Pat as a big part of our campaign, as he was last year," Deans said.
"It's no coincidence that in his first outing he picked up a Tri-Nations, which hadn't been done since 2001, and he was a big contributor to that in attack and defence."

Really??????? He must have been watching different games to me. I am a big believer in McCabe to play in the centres, but I think that last year was to early on an international front for him.

This is the first time I have read the article, so excuse me for being late to the table.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
McCabe was a rock during the tri nations.

Didn't play a bad game, picked up tries in both Saffa matches, made metres in attack and was a brick wall in defence.

His world cup campaign certainly wasn't so spectacular aside from the QF.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
McCabe was a rock during the tri nations.

Didn't play a bad game, picked up tries in both Saffa matches, made metres in attack and was a brick wall in defence.

His world cup campaign certainly wasn't so spectacular aside from the QF.

I dont want to start this argument up again. But I truly believe that Australia would have been better served with JOC (James O'Connor) at 12. The change should have been made when gits was playing poorly in 2010 to give him some experience in the position. McCabe was picked after only a few professional games at 12, he made a good go of it and was courageous in the quarter final. If anything he probably deserved the 13 jersey as much as horne, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) or A. Fainga'a did, but I don't think he should have been handed the 12 jersey in a WC year in the way he was.

We won the game in brisbane on the back of a strong 1st half performance from the forward pack. If I remember correctly Kaino (or was it keiran reid?) went off injured early in the game. I think this had a huge impact on the outcome as they are 2 of the best backrowers in the world and apart from pocock our backrow was very weak.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
McCabe as a player was fine, the tactics were terrible.

Kaino didn't play, Read went off early.

Status
Not open for further replies.