• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 31 Man Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Paradox

Who gives a shit what he would've done, are we now criticising him hypothetically?

(I'm sure you've missed Kepu over Alexander as well.)

Thanks for reminding me. As for who gives a shit, clearly you do.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
It would be great if the Wallabies had an internal trial of probables vs possibles

1. Benn Robinson
2. Stephen Moore
3. Ben Alexander
4. Kane Douglas
5. James Horwill
6. Ben Mowen
7. Michael Hooper
8. Wycliff Palu
9. Will Genia
10. James O'Connor
11. Digby Ioane
12. Christian Lealiifano
13. Adam Ashley-Cooper
14. Israel Folau
15. Berrick Barnes

vs

1. Scott Sio
2. Saia Fainga'a
3. James Slipper
4. Rob Simmons
5. Hugh McMeniman
6. Dave Dennis
7. Liam Gill
8. Ben McCalman
9. Nick Phipps
10. Kurtley Beale
11. Joe Tomane
12. Pat McCabe
13. Rob Horne
14. Nick Cummins
15. (bring in Mogg?)

I think you have the probables pack (except he may go a little crazy and pick Simmons over Douglas), but the backline, I fear, could be vastly different:

RD probables:

JOC (James O'Connor)
Ioane
Horne
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Cummins
Barnes

Vs

Beale
Tomane
Lilo
McCabe
????
Folau

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
He is the man and there aint no other BDA ..for ffs james do not get injured!

I am stoked MMM is in the mix - but holy cow he was huffin and puffin like a steam engine out wide yesterday - not unexpected given his first run in a while.

Watched the first half on Force v Waratahs again. Noted that MMM rarely hit the rucks, only noticed once in fact. He spent more time on the left wing than Rasolea or Higgers at his worst for that matter. I am a fan so I hope he can get more involved as he regains match fitness (though how he can do that before the first test I fail to comprehend).

jollyswagman

Ron Walden (29)
I am not trying to stir things up - I swear.....but has anyone on the boards heard any other rugby "expert" suggest that they agreed with RD's omission of QC (Quade Cooper) from the squad....and by "expert" I am including all those rugby personalities, be it Campo, Lynagh, Dwyer, Jones and ex-players whoever they are. I am just trying to get a better sense of who else beside Qwerty and the QC (Quade Cooper) hating crown here on GAGR agree with Deans on this call.

U

Unders Line

Wallabiues problem areas in this squad is there outside backs. There is a heap going around that stand out in super rugby but I dont beleive that they will be able to stand up to the the likes of Hogg, Tuilagi, North and Zebo

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Wow you really think we only better them at 9 and 2?? I feel as I know quite a bit about the NH players and I do respect them but I have us winning a h2h favourably.

Benn Robinson is better than Vunipola. Palu is better than Heaslip or at least equal. James Horwill better than one of their locks. Hooper better than Tipuric or Warburton and Mowen even though he hasn't even got a cap is up there with Croft (wouldn't compare to O'Brien - too different). Our back 3 is more dangerous. JOC (James O'Connor) is on par with Sexton if you take out goal kicking (Halfpenny).

Unusually, I find myself largely in agreement with your post. IMO the Lions are not the team of supermen that apparently a majority of posters seem to think. The very under-strength Reds ran them so close on the weekend that they brought in their bench of almost certain test starters to avoid a defeat. Even with what could be their test front row towards the end of the game, they had no real dominance over the Reds' pack.

I believe the Wallabies have the players to take the series fairly easily. It just remains to be seen if the test 15 comprise the best players in their best positions and have a game plan designed to take advantage of their strengths.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Wallabiues problem areas in this squad is there outside backs. There is a heap going around that stand out in super rugby but I dont beleive that they will be able to stand up to the the likes of Hogg, Tuilagi, North and Zebo

Hogg and Tuilagi offered very little in the Reds game. North is immense but I am confident that any of Ioane, Tomane. Cummins or Folau will pose as many problems to the Lions as he will to the Wallabies. Zebo I don't know.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Whilst there is obviously contention over a few of the spots, I think the people who were left out weren't really in contention with some of those players.

For example, people are saying Pyle should have been picked instead of Timani. I'd argue that Pyle missed out to Simmons and that is why Douglas joined the squad when Timani was injured. Now I'd certainly have picked Douglas over Timani but I think that's what the selection decision came down to.

If Simmons had been injured instead of Timani I'd guess that Pyle would have joined the squad.

There are several makeshift backrow/lock options. I think this has come about for two reasons. Firstly, there is a very high likelihood that we will play both Hooper and Gill and have three backs on the bench which means we need a utility forward. Secondly, the first choice option, Hugh McMeniman has been injured for a long time. I think Deans has gone with lots of options in this area because it is almost certain one of them will play and due to injury it's difficult to know which one.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I am not trying to stir things up - I swear...but has anyone on the boards heard any other rugby "expert" suggest that they agreed with RD's omission of QC (Quade Cooper) from the squad..and by "expert" I am including all those rugby personalities, be it Campo, Lynagh, Dwyer, Jones and ex-players whoever they are. I am just trying to get a better sense of who else beside Qwerty and the QC (Quade Cooper) hating crown here on GAGR agree with Deans on this call.
You know, there are plenty of posters who do not necessarily believe Quade Cooper should be picked, based on their opinions about his relative merits as a rugby player.
It's not a "QC (Quade Cooper) hating crowd" (I guessed you meant crowd) for the most part. It is people with a different opinion.
If you take the extreme stances from both sides out, there is plenty of sensibly argued middle-ground.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
You know, there are plenty of posters who do not necessarily believe Quade Cooper should be picked, based on their opinions about his relative merits as a rugby player.
It's not a "QC (Quade Cooper) hating crowd" (I guessed you meant crowd) for the most part. It is people with a different opinion.
If you take the extreme stances from both sides out, there is plenty of sensibly argued middle-ground.

I'm pretty sure he's actually referring to the QC (Quade Cooper)-hating crown that Qwerty wears. It has a very nice charge downs and intercepts motif.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I am not trying to stir things up - I swear...but has anyone on the boards heard any other rugby "expert" suggest that they agreed with RD's omission of QC (Quade Cooper) from the squad..and by "expert" I am including all those rugby personalities, be it Campo, Lynagh, Dwyer, Jones and ex-players whoever they are. I am just trying to get a better sense of who else beside Qwerty and the QC (Quade Cooper) hating crown here on GAGR agree with Deans on this call.
I haven't heard of anyone but I'd they agreed they wouldn't necessarily come out and say it.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Wow you really think we only better them at 9 and 2?? I feel as I know quite a bit about the NH players and I do respect them but I have us winning a h2h favourably.

Benn Robinson is better than Vunipola. Palu is better than Heaslip or at least equal. James Horwill better than one of their locks. Hooper better than Tipuric or Warburton and Mowen even though he hasn't even got a cap is up there with Croft (wouldn't compare to O'Brien - too different). Our back 3 is more dangerous. JOC (James O'Connor) is on par with Sexton if you take out goal kicking (Halfpenny).

2 and 9 are the positions where there's a bit of a gap. Some are othres are marginally in our favour. I admit that I probably incorrectly left out 7.

Regarding JOC (James O'Connor), as in individual player he's better than Sexton, as a 10, no, there's zero evidence of that in my opinion. I'd take Sexton over JOC (James O'Connor) at 10, and have JOC (James O'Connor) elsewhere. As a unit, I'm not sure who will be better. In my book, Sexton is a better well rounded 10, but Phillips isn't exactly a traditional 9. Genia is a more traditional 9, and JOC (James O'Connor) does not yet have the vision for a more traditional 10 in my opinion.

Benn Robinson all things being equal is better than Vunipola. However, Vunipola has been great recently and Benn Robinson is not quite at his peak, but he's nearing it. I'd not have much between them right now. Overall, as a unit, I reckon our front row will have the edge around the field, thanks to Jones, and theirs may have the edge in the scrum, thanks to Jones.

Horwill, yeah, he will likely be better than one of their locks. As a combination, though, I'd have the Lions locks above ours. A lot will depend on POC's form. Gray was great against the Reds, I thought, and Parling was better than I expected. If Douglas and Horwill show up, though, we may go well here, although the Lions locks will likely be better in the lineout. I'd guess that the starting Lions will be POC and Gray.

Hooper / Gill, agree I probably missed that one. As a unit, though, I'd say there's not much between backrows, depending on what the Lions pick. I reckon the Lions could pick a backrow unit marginally better (SOB, Tipuric, Heaslip) to worse (Lydiate, Warburton, Faletau). I have no idea what Deans will do with our backrow, if he reverts to Dennis, Hooper, Palu I'd give the edge to the Lions.

Disagree on our back three being more dangerous. A lot will actually depend on what our back three are.

Halfpenny will be more dangerous running than Barnes, and I don't think Barnes is fully match fit. Barnes is a better organiser and defender than Halfpenny though. Beale will be more dangerous running but there's not much evidence of his form other than that Rebels game a few weeks back where he wasn't pressured too much, and the Randwick game where he was just solid. I worry what will happen to Beale if he's put under a lot of constant pressure (I'm remembering his return from injury against the ABs).

I reckon our fullback will either be Beale or Barnes, with the other on the bench. Fullback is a huge wildcard for us, because Barnes/Beale could either be great, poor, or anywhere in between. We won't know until the first test is well underway.

I think that North and Bowe would've been a better wing combination than ours, but Bowe is out for at least the first test. With Ioane out, our likely wing options are Folau, Tomane and Cummins. I really rate Folau (my one criticism is his decision making of run vs kick), but am not sure of him on the wing. He wasn't as good there for the Tahs as at fullback - although I reckon he would be with more game time. Cummins and Tomane are great players, but they aren't in the league of North or Bowe. I reckon our wings for the first test will be two of Cummins, Tomane and Folau, with the other missing out on the 23. For the second test, Ioane will likely be back and starting.

Whatever the Lions do to deal with the loss of Bowe will be a big loss.

Where the Lions definitely have it over us is the centres. Jamie Roberts is better than McCabe or Horne, and a fit BOD would likely be more than a match for AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper).

What could be telling is that our guys will go into the first test not having played in three weeks.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
To elaborate further, a lot will depend on how match fit some key players are from both sides.

Look at some of our backs:
Barnes - only started two games this season, couldn't finish either - one injured after 20 minutes, the other he started cramping badly after 50 minutes and made little impact on the game, but has been fantastic off the bench
McCabe - could not get a starting spot at the Brumbies, was willing and tried hard and got over the advantage line well, but looked limited in his showings this year, only started two games from memory
Cummins - been in out and of the Force side with injury all year
Ioane - just had minor knee surgery
Beale - barely played this year due to injury and alcohol issues

Lions also have some issues also in the backs:
Bowe - just had hand surgery, may be gone, Zebo called in
Tuilagi - had to go off in the first half vs the Reds, may be OK
Kearney - limited preparation due to injury
BOD - same as Kearney I think?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
IMO the Lions are not the team of supermen that apparently a majority of posters seem to think. The very under-strength Reds ran them so close on the weekend that they brought in their bench of almost certain test starters to avoid a defeat. Even with what could be their test front row towards the end of the game, they had no real dominance over the Reds' pack.

I believe the Wallabies have the players to take the series fairly easily. It just remains to be seen if the test 15 comprise the best players in their best positions and have a game plan designed to take advantage of their strengths.

As much as my superstitious nature tells me I should keep this to myself I have come to the same view.
My one reservation is that there was a huge lesson to be learned from the Reds approach of getting in their faces.
Judging by Horwill's reactions on the sideline he was well aware of that: hopefully he can overcome any lesson learning deficiencies in the Execs above him.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

As far as I care the moment a coach decides not to build a side around Cooper's particular attributes, approach and covering for his weaknesses, then it becomes near impossible for him to be picked because he just doesn't slot into another structure.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Tim Horan wasn't overly glowing in praise on saturday night of cooper.

but let's get something straight - cooper isn't in the squad and barring a massive injury toll he's not going to play any tests. get over it, deal with it and move one. start focusing the realities - who to start, how they should play etc

starting backline?
i think AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) will guaranteed be 13. the question marks are 12, 11, 14 and 15. i think we'll likely see barnes at 15 to be honest with beale coming on after half to run them ragged.

i don't really understand who the back up 13 is? i guess horne and mccabe, both of whom are much better at 12...

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
Where the Lions definitely have it over us is the centres. Jamie Roberts is better than McCabe or Horne, and a fit BOD would likely be more than a match for AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper).

I guess that depends on who plays in the centres. BOD is in the twilight of his career whereas AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is probably at the peak of his career and is in great form. I think these two should be fairly evenly matched. I think Lilo could easily get the better of Jamie Roberts, but it remains to be seen whether Deans will go down that route.

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
To elaborate further, a lot will depend on how match fit some key players are from both sides.

Look at some of our backs:
Barnes - only started two games this season, couldn't finish either - one injured after 20 minutes, the other he started cramping badly after 50 minutes and made little impact on the game, but has been fantastic off the bench
McCabe - could not get a starting spot at the Brumbies, was willing and tried hard and got over the advantage line well, but looked limited in his showings this year, only started two games from memory
Cummins - been in out and of the Force side with injury all year
Ioane - just had minor knee surgery
Beale - barely played this year due to injury and alcohol issues
quote]

I think it's pretty well accepted that McCabe is a limited player, but he does what he does pretty well. I thought he looked good against the Rebels, doing what he does best (tackling and getting the team on the front foot).

Cummins looked great on his return from injury a few weeks back.

Status
Not open for further replies.