• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2024

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)
On this day, 11 years ago #IFKYK
IMG_0072.jpeg

IMG_0073.jpeg

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Appreciate these posts (and your others in this thread), BR.

We won't have as much drivel this year, but we will have a new squad, new 23, a new coach and assistants, new game plan and just two weeks to forge a team to be competitive with Wales who beat us handsomely last year and Georgia who were no easy beats. I don't see it happening. Probably two losses to Wales, and if Schmidt and Co can actually put and keep a team together without too much chop and changing and allowing the players some time to find their feet in this new environment, maybe a win against Georgia. We need it or we'll find ourselves out of the top ten ranked sides internationally.

The team to play in the RC will be strengthened by including some overseas players, Skelton, Koroibete, BPA, and hopefully by some returning injured players, Bell especially. If the basis for a competitive team can be put together now, then there is hope for further success later in the year.

Wales gain double points as an away team. We'll go close to dropping out of the 10 with 2 loses. If we lose to Georgia, which is a game we should definitely post our best 23, I can't see how we stay ahead of Fiji. For those not watching the rankings closely, we lose 1 win 1 against Wales and the chances are they go ahead of us and we drop to 10. Lose to Georgia away and Fiji goes to 10.

On top of that, two weeks is hardly time to bed in a new game plan, no matter how good it is. I can easily see us losing the first test, but hopefully will see signs of development and improvement in the following tests.

I'd agree that Schmidt is not going to provide the drivel that EJ (Eddie Jones) did, but I'm not impressed at what seems a lack of drive to get into training. Further to your note on time, I doubt there is a game plan of any depth that can be implemented in two weeks, the same two weeks that you are sorting out who the 23 are. I don't think that could be done at school level.

The Wallabies dropped below "meh" under EJ (Eddie Jones), it seems unlikely that they raise above it in the next few tests. Even with Schmidt.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I seem to remember you had quite an unhinged view of young Donaldson and how hopeless he was. “He’d be lucky to be a 4th grader” ! Not one, not two but now 3 Wallaby coaches have selected him to play at the highest level. Many would question your rugby iq and judgement. Love the Derps!

I have yet to notice a better judge of wingers on G&GR than Derpus. They may be there, but they don't come to mind.

duckbill

Sydney Middleton (9)
I had high hopes of Schmidt after his various media appearances, and then he goes and picks Beale???

He's really hasn't shown anything different to his past performances to warrant a call up, he was absolutely woeful against the Reds and just based on that should have been avoided.

The team gets a bit of a pass from me as an overall score, with the Beale selection being the main outlier that I just don't get

rugbyAU

Colin Windon (37)
I had high hopes of Schmidt after his various media appearances, and then he goes and picks Beale???

He's really hasn't shown anything different to his past performances to warrant a call up, he was absolutely woeful against the Reds and just based on that should have been avoided.

The team gets a bit of a pass from me as an overall score, with the Beale selection being the main outlier that I just don't get
Exactly it's a silly selection, just a feel god story and a headline.

He's only played a few games for the Force and like I said he was okay but certainly not demanding of a test spot

Srgnt Short Ball

Herbert Moran (7)

really says something about the state of Australian Rugby when we pick 35-year-old outside backs.

capalaba

Chris McKivat (8)
What are everyone's thoughts on the July tests Squad? Keen to hear.
It is a good squad for the player pool available. Schmidt selected based purely on form and the no OS criteria. He selected 13 uncapped players, with Hodgman being an exception.

I agree with Beale's selection, he is 35 but has played 95 tests, Wallabies don't have this level of Test experience, Beale played a handful of games for the Force but he was bloody effective.

Junkyard Dog not getting selected is because, as Schmidt said, at the Test level you don't have a lot of space or time. JYD lacks physicality and Schmidt wants him to build on that, which shows he is planning.

Schmidt has a clear game plan, he is not EJ (Eddie Jones), I believe the focus will be on straightforward forward play with a commitment to the breakdown and ball security. Mauling is a must when 5m out, heavy focus on field position. He will run a plan similar to The Reds.

Schmidt is a conservative, tactical Coach. I Watched Wales v Bok, Welsh forwards look poor, backs are uninspiring. We will go 3-0 in the July series.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I agree with Beale's selection, he is 35 but has played 95 tests, Wallabies don't have this level of Test experience, Beale played a handful of games for the Force but he was bloody effective.

Effective at what? Plodding around in the backfield for a team that won 4 games all year?

Experience for the sake of experience doesn’t necessarily add value. We aren’t talking about a bloke who’s played in the golden era of rugby and is going to galvanise a young team.

Looking at his stats he’s won around 60% of games he’s played in for the Wallabies. Time to move these blokes along.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
I think overlooking Junkyard Dog this year is a positive thing, an off-season focussing on S&C and building some robustness into the frame without the pressure of the Wallabies will be good for him.
Particularly given he'll still get a bit of international exposure against Wales and Tonga for the Reds, so he has an idea of the level he has to build towards

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)
as for Beale… I’m 50/50 on this, I thought he played well in some of his Force games, I know he is 35 but he still moved better then some of his younger teammates. Maybe the selection of Donaldson/White was a factor here, selecting core players together.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Effective at what? Plodding around in the backfield for a team that won 4 games all year?

Experience for the sake of experience doesn’t necessarily add value. We aren’t talking about a bloke who’s played in the golden era of rugby and is going to galvanise a young team.

Looking at his stats he’s won around 60% of games he’s played in for the Wallabies. Time to move these blokes along.
60% sounds golden to me. I’d take that in 2024 and beyond.
I agree that Beale is not the answer but no doubt Schmidt wants to put a little experience in the squad. We are lacking experience in the second row at hooker and in the backs in general. Slipper and AAA in the forwards and White and Beale in the backs will be the senior players in the group. Thats not to say that they will be selected in every or any 23.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I'm not particularly bothered by Beale's age - to misquote, " if you're good enough you are young enough". If he is good enough. I also don't buy his experience in WA being without value. I thought Quade's experience and caps were valuable in a Wallaby squad so it's only consistent to hold the same thinking here.

At the same time I'd be lying if I didn't admit he makes me uncomfortable because, you know, Beale.

Sword of Justice

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I'm not particularly bothered by Beale's age - to misquote, " if you're good enough you are young enough". If he is good enough. I also don't buy his experience in WA being without value. I thought Quade's experience and caps were valuable in a Wallaby squad so it's only consistent to hold the same thinking here.

At the same time I'd be lying if I didn't admit he makes me uncomfortable because, you know, Beale.
The Force got worse as the season went on which coincided with his signing. I didn’t see anything to say he is good enough. Especially in a sport that values strength in contact more than ever.

Ultimately it is just one selection and Kellaway and Wright are technically converted wingers though.