• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2024

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I was at a lunch that Joe Schmidt spoke at yesterday, and while he didn't specifically discuss the upcoming squad selections, some takeaways I picked up with regards to a couple of potential debutantes:
- Charlie Cale - I'd say he will definitely be in the squad once he is fit, otherwise in the 'rehab' group if there is such a thing
- Junkyard Dog - he likes him but he needs to hit the gym. If he's not picked this year I'd say it's only because he's a bit light for the test arena

rugbyAU

Arch Winning (36)
Does anyone know when the following are back from injury:
- Bell
- Wilson
- LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
- Donaldson
- Jorgensen
- Petaia

Last edited:

rugbyAU

Arch Winning (36)
I was at a lunch that Joe Schmidt spoke at yesterday, and while he didn't specifically discuss the upcoming squad selections, some takeaways I picked up with regards to a couple of potential debutantes:
- Charlie Cale - I'd say he will definitely be in the squad once he is fit, otherwise in the 'rehab' group if there is such a thing
- Junkyard Dog - he likes him but he needs to hit the gym. If he's not picked this year I'd say it's only because he's a bit light for the test arena
I think Ryan is good enough - better than Lancaster IMO and definitely Vunivalau and in better form than Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) (given we have 13 tests until the lions and he isn't around then I don't think there's much point playing him)

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
- Schoupp
- Bell
- Slipper
- Wilson
- LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
- Donaldson
- Jorgensen
- Petaia
Schoupp's done after tonight's game.. arm (wrist, elbow) on the green whistle, don't think we will see him again this season. Slipper hopefully next week but maybe an extra 1 or 2.

capalaba

Chris McKivat (8)
Now heading into the playoffs and not taking into consideration injuries or what is happening with Rebels, from what I have seen this would be my squad to face Wales.

Wanted a no nonsense starting pack and players with a bit of mongrel about them and not afraid to get stuck in at the breakdowns. The Locks for me were the toughest selection to make, needed weight to support the front rowers at scrum time. The backline was straightforward, Tate is in the inform halfback, Lolesio can slot them from anywhere, Paisami and Ikitau were obvious, and the back 3 have pace and an ability to finish.

I went with a 6/2 split on the bench, forwards that are fast finishers and maintain pressure at the breakdown and scrum time in the last 20-25 minutes of a game. Donaldson can kick from anywhere and Lonergan is a solid halfback.

1. Slipper
2. Faessler
3. Ala'alatoa
4. Frost
5. Canham
6. Swinton
7. McReight
8. Valetini
9. Tate
10. Lolesio
11. Pietsch
12. Paisami
13. Ikitau
14. Kellaway
15. Wright
16. Uelese
17. Hodgman
18. Tupou
19. Uru
20. Swain
21. Wright
22. Donaldson
23. Lonergan

Last edited:

rugbyAU

Arch Winning (36)
Now heading into the playoffs and not taking into consideration injuries or what is happening with Rebels, from what I have seen this would be my squad to face Wales.

Wanted a no nonsense starting pack and players with a bit of mongrel about them and not afraid to get stuck in at the breakdowns. The Locks for me were the toughest selection to make, needed weight to support the front rowers at scrum time. The backline was straightforward, Tate is in the inform halfback, Lolesio can slot them from anywhere, Paisami and Ikitau were obvious, and the back 3 have pace and an ability to finish.

I went with a 6/2 split on the bench, forwards that are fast finishers and maintain pressure at the breakdown and scrum time in the last 20-25 minutes of a game. Donaldson can kick from anywhere and Lonergan is a solid halfback.

1. Slipper
2. Faessler
3. Ala'alatoa
4. Frost
5. Canham
6. Swinton
7. McReight
8. Valetini
9. Tate
10. Lolesio
11. Pietsch
12. Paisami
13. Ikitau
14. Kellaway
15. Wright
16. Uelese
17. Hodgman
18. Tupou
19. Uru
20. Swain
21. Wright
22. Donaldson
23. Lonergan
Don't mind it but I wouldn't have Pietsch, Canham & Swinton in the starting team

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Given the constrained time for the new coach to get a game plan in order and practice it on the training paddock, I could see Schmidt going with a very direct style and picking a side accordingly. A couple of first up wins is important for the Wallabies this year.

To me this means prioritising good set piece operators in the tight five (IMHO we should always be doing this) and an abrasive back row who can smash bodies at the breakdown. Allied to that we would want halves who can kick for field position and keep the ball out of our half. I'd then be putting a pair of straight running centres who are very secure in defence and probably not go with a second ball player at 12 or 13. We can then pick a couple of flyers on the wings who will chase all day and someone secure at fullback.

What does this mean in terms of actual players? Top of the head stuff here...

The front row is a concern right now due to the injury count, but Slipper, 7A's, Hodgman would be in the mix. I'm not sure who else is even fit at this point. Hooker I can see Jordan U getting a call up, especially given his lineout throwing has improved (to my eye at least) and Faessler. Locks, I would be looking at Swain, Rodda, Smith and Skelton. Fraser first name on the team sheet at openside, Leota/Swinton/Wright at 6 and Bobby V at eight.

Tate at halfback, Noah at 10 (if only for his kicking, but a strong argument can also be made for Donno and Carter), Hunter and Len in the centres. Kellaway at fullback, Wright on one wing (but playing that second fullback sweeper role) and maybe Toole on the other?

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)

1. Slipper
2. Faessler
3. Ala'alatoa
4. Frost
5. Canham
6. Swinton
7. McReight
8. Valetini
9. Tate
10. Lolesio
11. Pietsch
12. Paisami
13. Ikitau
14. Kellaway
15. Wright
16. Uelese
17. Hodgman
18. Tupou
19. Uru
20. Swain
21. Wright
22. Donaldson
23. Lonergan
A few comments Capalba.

Looking for a second row that adds weight to the front row - imo that wouldn't be a combination of Frost and Canham. I think Frost should be there somewhere but that could be at 6 given his form there lately or on the bench. Canham is definitely one for the future. I am impressed with his workrate and effectiveness in both defence and attack. Still, bench option probably for the moment. Both are proficient at lineout and in maul defence, but I don't think the scrum is a strong point for either atm. Maybe one but paired with someone like Jed Holloway for toughness.

I am starting to think that Uru is a strong chance for the starting 6 spot in place of Swinton. His workload again is significant and very effective, while being an excellent lineout option as well. With Swinton off overseas, I think it's best to go with the option more likely to remain for some time.

On form, I wouldn't have TT in the side at all. Someone like Nonggorr would offer better value over 40 - 80 minutes in my opinion.

Donaldson's kicking stat is one of the lowest for our prospective No 10s, and maybe even be below or near Carter Gordon's. Given Lonergan is also an excellent goal kicker, better than either of Donaldson or Gordon, I'd rely on him for the latter parts of games and prefer Gordon on the bench to Donaldson.

Just some thoughts.

HogansHeros

Bob Loudon (25)
Donaldson's kicking stat is one of the lowest for our prospective No 10s, and maybe even be below or near Carter Gordon's. Given Lonergan is also an excellent goal kicker, better than either of Donaldson or Gordon, I'd rely on him for the latter parts of games and prefer Gordon on the bench to Donaldson.

Just some thoughts.
i tried to find kicking stats can you link them?

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Donaldson’s kicking stats low, really? The games I’ve attended at home this season my recollection is that he’s been immaculate off the tee.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
- Bell
- Wilson
- LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
- Donaldson
- Jorgensen
- Petaia

LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) was originally meant to be back for either Drua or first round playoffs per the Rebels injury update in... early April, I think? The most recent one was slightly less optimistic but still sounded like progress was being made.

capalaba

Chris McKivat (8)
A few comments Capalba.

Looking for a second row that adds weight to the front row - imo that wouldn't be a combination of Frost and Canham. I think Frost should be there somewhere but that could be at 6 given his form there lately or on the bench. Canham is definitely one for the future. I am impressed with his workrate and effectiveness in both defence and attack. Still, bench option probably for the moment. Both are proficient at lineout and in maul defence, but I don't think the scrum is a strong point for either atm. Maybe one but paired with someone like Jed Holloway for toughness.

I am starting to think that Uru is a strong chance for the starting 6 spot in place of Swinton. His workload again is significant and very effective, while being an excellent lineout option as well. With Swinton off overseas, I think it's best to go with the option more likely to remain for some time.

On form, I wouldn't have TT in the side at all. Someone like Nonggorr would offer better value over 40 - 80 minutes in my opinion.

Just some thoughts.
Yeah good points.

Checking stats Donaldson has kicked 101 points for a losing team and is 4th on the 2024 Super Rugby Top Goal Kickers stats.

Canham is 115kg and Frost 120kg. Lock is a position I was very unsure of we don't seem to have locks in the same mold as Retallick, Barrett, Tuipoulotu and Elsebeth.

Zane is talented but he seems lost at the breakdown and follows his LHP instead of watching and then splitting either side of the ruck. Watch JTA and Hodgman and how they position themselves they will fold either side. Tupou for me has brought a lot to his scrummaging over the last few weeks and scrummed very well against the Drua who have best scrum stats in 2024.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
I just think we have to start the season with 3 wins and to hell with any other consideration. The players need it, coaches need it, the fans need it, RA needs it and the game needs it.

If I had to select the team based on what seems to be the likely injury return timeframes and Schmidt statement that he's taking locals only for Wales (which doesn't seem that smart given the injuries) I'd go something like;

1. Hodgman
2. Faessler
3. AAAA
4. Frost
5. Swain
6. Uru
9. McReight
8. Valentini
9. McDermott
10. Noah
11. Kellaway
12. Paisami
13. Ikitau
14. Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase)
15. Wright

16. Pollard
17. Gibbon or Slipper (if fit)
18. Tupou
19. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
20. Wright
21. Lonergan R
22. Gordon
23. Toole

Rely on Kellaway to cover 13 and 15, Gordon (or Ikitau) to cover 12 at a pinch. Accept that Nawaqanitawase is leaving at end of the year but realistically we'd probably pick Petaia is he was fit and also that spot is almost certainly going to Suali'i in 2025 so he's just keeping the jersey warm (if we secondarily give him a fond memory to hold onto to maybe help persuade a return in future that's also good. It's what league is doing with JS). In the forwards Uru's versatility and his ability to be a weapon in the defensive lineout along with Frost gets him in at 6 initially.

Ideally I'd like to be able to;
- pick Skelton at 5, drop Swain to bench and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) to Aus A
- pick Koroibete at 11, drop Mark

Bell, Slipper, Cale, Petaia, Porecki would be in team if fit (as well as Wilson and Donaldson in squad).

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Guys like Cale, Wilson, Petaia, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Bell.. shouldn't be picked with no game time. Well not against Wales, maybe Georgia. They need to be back training for a while.

I think we need to pick guys in form and playing.