• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2023

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
I have no doubt we will still see 2-3 players from outside this current squad called up for the RWC squad - and that's before injury. Samu, Neville, Wright & Hodge the most likely IMO
Agreed. Looking around at all the other teams for this weekend, often for nations that have two games before the RWC, they're hugely experimental and not about combinations. Just because Eddie was happy with this squad for two Bleds means fuck all. I expect some big shocks.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Neville could very well push Arnold out. He has the start this week to show it. Wouldn’t surprise me to see Wright over Vunivalu because he can play the entire back 3.
Would be very surprised if Neville comes in now, hasn’t been in the squad at any time

and I for one am well and truly over the Hodge experience
It's very hard to read what Eddie is thinking. E.g. Philip hasn't been sighted in the Bledisloe and it's pretty unanimous on here that Arnold has offered fuck all yet he's starting. Is that because he knows what Philip offers and is giving Arnold one last chance to show what he can offer, or is it because he thinks Arnold is the ducks nuts and Philip offers nothing?

Last edited:

GTPIH

Ted Thorn (20)
Re the Achilles injuries, the SMH noted when discussing the S&C review RA undertook last year that all five recent Achilles injuries happened to players coming back from calf/ankle injuries. Hopefully someone takes note of this.

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
Re the Achilles injuries, the SMH noted when discussing the S&C review Rugby Australia undertook last year that all five recent Achilles injuries happened to players coming back from calf/ankle injuries. Hopefully someone takes note of this.
Apparently the NRL has had something like 6 Achilles across the entire league in the past 5 years.

Mr Pilfer

Jim Clark (26)
BPA will surely be called up, maybe another overseas based prop like Hoskins or Sio.
Both are loose heads otherwise I reckon they would be in. Someone mentioned jermaine Ainsley, he is a tighthead and would be a good option if eligible and keen
Would prefer to keep slipper on loose head side.

The loss of Tom Robertson probably proving bigger than most realised at the time

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
If Eddie has any sense at all Ainsley must be brought in, he's a powerfully built 123kg Maori All Black, Australian rugby just doesn't seem to produce decent size front-rowers, other than PI guys who were born & schooled in NZ... Tupou, Fa'amausili, Kepu, Polota-Nau, the list just goes on and on...

Last edited:

Tomthumb

John Solomon (38)
He’s had very few, many less than Wright. Hodge is a good person to have in the squad covering every position in the backs except for 9. I also would have him ahead of Donaldson.
What position does he actually play well? What does he bring that makes him immune to criticism?

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I thought there was a reasonable chance that Jones had left out guys like Samu to have a look at options like Gleeson. Since he hasn’t played Gleeson I doubt that was the plan. So I’m not really expecting too many players to be parachuted in late.

Like others I’m not convinced of the virtue of either Arnold or Vunivalu but I assume Arnold is getting picked and won’t be surprised if Vunivalu is too. Not saying they should - just seems likely.

Not sure why BPA keeps getting thrown up. Not only has it been regularly reported he’s injured but Jones didn’t include him in his first squad which was about 50 odd players and there has been no word of any inclusion of him since from within the Wallabies that I can recall. I don’t think he has even been listed as ‘not considered due to injury’.

I know it’s Jones and there is an assumption he will do something left field but I’m not sure anything too wild is coming.