• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2023

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
Especially once you're in your 30s.

I'd start Gleeson 50 mins. He'll be blowing but I want to see him go toe to toe with the ABs while everyone is fresh. McReight on for the last 30. Fraser got the start in the last match and I'd honestly be surprised if we are within touching distance in the last quarter of the match so I want to see what Gleeson can do instead of a cameo in a beaten side.

"Our aim is to put them under pressure early in the game and see how they cope with pressure on them, because they haven't had it yet". Eddie Jones

In my head that's let Gleeson throw himself around.

Mr Pilfer

Dave Cowper (27)
Especially once you're in your 30s.

I'd start Gleeson 50 mins. He'll be blowing but I want to see him go toe to toe with the ABs while everyone is fresh. McReight on for the last 30. Fraser got the start in the last match and I'd honestly be surprised if we are within touching distance in the last quarter of the match so I want to see what Gleeson can do instead of a cameo in a beaten side.

"Our aim is to put them under pressure early in the game and see how they cope with pressure on them, because they haven't had it yet". Eddie Jones

In my head that's let Gleeson throw himself around.

I agree, we are running out of time to see if some of these players will cut it for the world cup so we need to see some proper game time not token minutes at the end.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It's a combination of he's played 7 a lot, mostly club rugby yes for Manly but also played there for the Tahs in 2022 trials and Tahs A matches and the match reports were he was the best player on the field each time. He's shown he has great pilfering technique (and we know about the speed to get to the breakdown quickly) - the Reds match at Townsville was probably the best example of it this year and he wasn't even playing 7. The other side is the trend of Test rugby moving away from the small 7 prototype, so he fits the mould of a high quality current opensides in Josh vdF, Kolisi, Ollivon etc.

He's also a better lineout option than McReight or Hooper and does things like this which frankly they could never (maybe Hooper in the past but we don't see that from him anymore).

He's the 7 we need to balance our backrow and have our pack compete with the best.

Last edited:

dusk

Vay Wilson (31)
It's a combination of he's played 7 a lot, mostly club rugby yes for Manly but also played there for the Tahs in 2022 trials and Tahs A matches and the match reports were he was the best player on the field each time. He's shown he has great pilfering technique (and we know about the speed to get to the breakdown quickly) - the Reds match at Townsville was probably the best example of it this year and he wasn't even playing 7. The other side is the trend of Test rugby moving away from the small 7 prototype, so he perfectly fits the current mould of a 7. Josh vdF, Kolisi, Ollivon etc.

He's also a better lineout option than McReight or Hooper and does things like this which frankly they could never (maybe Hooper is the past but we don't see that from him anymore).

He's the 7 we need to balance our backrow and have our pack compete with the best.
Fuck me he is fast. I don't know how you can put McReight or Hooper above Gleeson right now. IMO he has to make the starting 23.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
He's certainly rapid for a bloke of his size. I've said it before that I want us to try him at 7, if nothing else to settle the argument about his suitability to be an on-baller. He's in my match day 23 regardless

LeCheese

John Thornett (49)
It's a combination of he's played 7 a lot, mostly club rugby yes for Manly but also played there for the Tahs in 2022 trials and Tahs A matches and the match reports were he was the best player on the field each time. He's shown he has great pilfering technique (and we know about the speed to get to the breakdown quickly) - the Reds match at Townsville was probably the best example of it this year and he wasn't even playing 7. The other side is the trend of Test rugby moving away from the small 7 prototype, so he fits the mould of a high quality current opensides in Josh vdF, Kolisi, Ollivon etc.

He's also a better lineout option than McReight or Hooper and does things like this which frankly they could never (maybe Hooper in the past but we don't see that from him anymore).

Good hit and can't fault his bursts of speed, but his body height in the tackle is appalling. Only a few cm and a bit of misjudgement off a red realistically...

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Took a sh*t
1690260480306.png