• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

eastman

Colin Windon (37)
I think Banks has earned another shot. His kicking for touch on Saturday was particularly impressive, and he didn't really do much wrong despite being dealt a tough hand losing both wingers. But I'd be lying if I said I was confident of him holding the jersey through the Rugby Championship.

Arguably Banks and Hodge are relatively interchangeable with Banks having slightly greater upside (IMO) - neither players are going to cause much concern to the ABs/ Springboks in any case.

I don't think we want to be in a position where we have Banks and Hodge both starting though.

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
Like Tupou, I think White plays much better off the bench. Both of them are potential game changers in that role, and I think that's what we need. I used to think the same thing about Matt Rogers.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think Tupou should start. Seems to be needed on the bench to protect Bell when he comes on. He needs to be playing 60mins per game. AAA has improved and I thought his best game was the second one, off the bench, aside from that last scrum.

Think Banks is the best option at 15. He's not the finished product but his line kicking and speed are needed.

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
I think Tupou should come on at the 30 minute mark, rip it up for 10, then 15 minute break, and come on for the second 40.

Not the usual way, but while I think he should come off the bench, I also think he should play more minutes that AAA.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
I think Tupou should start. Seems to be needed on the bench to protect Bell when he comes on. He needs to be playing 60mins per game. AAA has improved and I thought his best game was the second one, off the bench, aside from that last scrum.

Think Banks is the best option at 15. He's not the finished product but his line kicking and speed are needed.

And scrum wasnt aaas fault.

It was the axis of 1.Bell 2. Lonergan and their lock Swain. None of whom are known for scummaging

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
And scrum wasnt aaas fault.

It was the axis of 1.Bell 2. Lonergan and their lock Swain. None of whom are known for scummaging

I really dont know if Bell is bad or good, he had one bad scrum at test level this year, but agreed during super rugby wasn't super.

Lonergan I get nervous about it does seem to be a weakness of his being a smaller body.

As for Tupou, I think know matter what we do we need him on at the end of the game.. He is an absolute weapon at the death against the second string props. if that means AAA for 20 - 30 mins then Tupou the rest, or Tupou the full game so be it.

Just dont know how his scrumming will be at 80th minutes of a test match.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
I don't have too much of a problem with Bell in the scrum. He won't dominate, not many 20 year-olds will (even Tupou at that age) but most of the Tahs problems at scrum time this year was at THP. With a strong hooker (ie BPA or Uelese) he holds his side up just fine.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Bell looks really good for so early in his career and he is a very big man. He’ll only get better and we have a couple of blokes with considerable test experience to help bring him along.

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)
Bell was also playing with a poor second row pairing behind him, get some decent locks pushing and keeping the scrum tight and it might be a different story.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Bell was also playing with a poor second row pairing behind him, get some decent locks pushing and keeping the scrum tight and it might be a different story.

? Scrum seemed to go more than ok in the third test with the same second row playing most of the game. Did you not see it that way?

sunnyboys

Bob Loudon (25)
Where are you seeing this? I'm only seeing travel with NSW, VIC and SA paused.

Have deleted post- apologies for that - went off a bit quick. Full suspension is under consideration but not yet in place. NZ Herald carrying the story.

Wallabies might have to play all three in NZ if they do it.

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
So what's our lineup for the first Bledisloe? The key dilemmas:

Does Tupou start or come off the bench?
Has Swain earned a starting spot?
Swinton or Valetini?
McDermott or Nic White?
To'omua or Paisami at 12?
Banks or Hodge or both?

Assuming JOC (James O'Connor) isn't going to be right for the first game, here's the team I am picking:

Slipper
BPA
Allan A
LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
Swain
Swinton
Hooper
Wilson
White
Lolesio
Hodge
Paisami
Ikitau
Marika
Banks

Bench: Uelese, Bell, Tupou, Philip, Valetini, McDermott, To'omua, Kellaway

How about a Wallabies (injury absent) strongest line-up?

1. Slipper
  2. Paenga-Amosa
  3. Ala'alatoa
  4. Phillip
  5. Swain
  6. Swinton
  7. Hooper (c)
  8. Wilson
  9. White
  10. O'Conner
  11. Koroibete
  12. Paisami (ideally an 108kg Kerevi, with Hunter at 13..)
  13. Wright (adds much needed size & defensive presence to midfield)
  14. Vunivalu
  15. Petaia
  16. Uelese
  17. Bell
  18. Tupou
  19. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
  20. Valetini
  21. McDermott
  22. Hodge/Lolesio
  23. Perese (a genuine later match line-bending impact option..)