• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Under-20 Competitions including Oceania & World U20s

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
He was solid. Game was more controlled than the first and the take he took over his head in the 22 was impressive. You can tell he's a raw product still but has size, speed and can kick a ball.

I don't really have anything bad to say about the Backline. The team as whole was beaten by a very good Irish team. Could have been a different story with a couple of missed chances but overall they got beaten fair and square.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
We could also talk about cohesion as a factor

1688094922857.png

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Nucifora has said this is their Oz 2019 team. Just some special talent all coming through at the same time.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Was the Irish team different from the one that trotted out against England?

And did Gordon quiet his haters or knives still out?
I was critical of his errors in the Fiji game, but he put in a solid performance against the Irish in a side quite badly beaten.

In this game, I reckon Wilson showed he has a long way to go to be a real threat at No 9, especially with very slow ball delivery to his backline. I hope he can show the improvement that Mason showed from game 1.

Stagnation

Allen Oxlade (6)
I'm not sure it's weak but it's probably average.

I think we have some genuinely good players in Barrett, De Lutiis, Wilson, Bowen and Vaihu. We've then got Lynagh and Jorgensen missing who are also clearly outstanding.

The rest of the squad is probably fairly average though. That's not to say that a bunch won't forget decent professional careers but I don't think we're about to see a flurry of Super Rugby starters within the next couple of years coming out of this group.
I would add Henry O Donnell into that list of good players

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Was at the game, awful conditions didn’t suit us at all and Ireland looked right at home in them. Despite that, we went toe to toe with them and scored a beauty of a try.

The ref was a disgrace, just didn’t award an early one to us for no reason (was a try, I was right there) and then awarded Ireland one despite being clearly held up and didn’t go to the TMO either time. Then there’s Ryan completely blowing a try and that’s 3 tries that cost us the game. That’s before we mention De Lutiis going off just before HT which turned our slightly dominant scrum into one that conceded a penalty literally every scrum and just piggybacked Ireland to 5m mauls and tries. Really disappointing, a game of what if against probably the best or 2nd best team there.

Slack-Smith is outstanding, he’s very abrasive and good height for a 7. Has a Test future I think. Very impressed by Maiava whose future is probably at 6 and liked O’Donnell who shut down a big Irish 13 generally well who they looked to a lot. Bowen played the conditions very well I thought, kicked and caught high balls very well. He’s a mature and classy player at this level. Tahs need to play him more. Teddy Wilson was put under a huge amount of pressure by the Irish pack all game, hard to judge him astutely.

The Irish 8 Gleeson is a beast of a man and one of the best players I’ve ever seen at this level. The whole Irish pack looked significantly bigger than us yet we gave them a good showing until late. They looked much more pro-developed.

Last edited:

Love2Scrum

Darby Loudon (17)
Was at the game, awful conditions didn’t suit us at all and Ireland looked right at home in them. Despite that, we went toe to toe with them and scored a beauty of a try.

The ref was a disgrace, just didn’t award an early one to us for no reason (was a try, I was right there) and then awarded Ireland one despite being clearly held up and didn’t go to the TMO either time. Then there’s Ryan completely blowing a try and that’s 3 tries that cost us the game. That’s before we mention De Lutiis going off just before HT which turned our slightly dominant scrum into one that conceded a penalty literally every scrum and just piggybacked Ireland to 5m mauls and tries. Really disappointing, a game of what if against probably the best or 2nd best team there.

Slack-Smith is outstanding, he’s very abrasive and good height for a 7. Has a Test future I think. Very impressed by Maiava whose future is probably at 6 and liked O’Donnell who shut down a big Irish 13 generally well who they looked to a lot. Bowen played the conditions very well I thought, kicked and caught high balls very well. He’s a mature and classy player at this level. Tahs need to play him more.

The Irish 8 Gleeson is a beast of a man and one of the best players I’ve ever seen at this level. The whole Irish pack looked significantly bigger than us yet we gave them a good showing until late. They looked much more pro developed.
Great match review.

Have you seen the French pack? I’d say that they’re the biggest forwards of in the competition. Not only are they bigger but aggressive. The No 5 could be a front rower IMO.

Size does matter….

pnut

Billy Sheehan (19)

Slack-Smith is outstanding, he’s very abrasive and good height for a 7. Has a Test future I think. Very impressed by Maiava whose future is probably at 6 and liked O’Donnell who shut down a big Irish 13 generally well who they looked to a lot. Bowen played the conditions very well I thought, kicked and caught high balls very well. He’s a mature and classy player at this level. Tahs need to play him more.

The Irish 8 Gleeson is a beast of a man and one of the best players I’ve ever seen at this level. The whole Irish pack looked significantly bigger than us yet we gave them a good showing until late. They looked much more pro developed.
Love dads eyes. Enjoy the tournament it’s a great honour

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Nucifora has said this is their Oz 2019 team. Just some special talent all coming through at the same time.
Yep, quality Irish side. :cool:

If the Oz 2019 team analogy holds true, then they'll get pipped by France in the final despite scoring more tries! :oops:

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Great match review.

Have you seen the French pack? I’d say that they’re the biggest forwards of in the competition. Not only are they bigger but aggressive. The No 5 could be a front rower IMO.

Size does matter….
Yes they were enormous, and completely towered over the NZ guys who still put a decent fight all things considered. The French just looked.. well pro which isn't surprisingly. Every single one of them knew their roles and were well drilled. This is a common theme across the NH sides. The French sideline coaches (similar to the Top 14) were barking orders all game.

SANZAAR desperately need to introduce a proper u20s comp - the issue is the TRC conflicts with the u20s Championship. Maybe they should move it to October but I doubt the NH want their advantage taken away!!

Ireland only beat France in this year's 6N due to home advantage and I think they were missing a few (France). France should probably win again (and forever, their junior systems are just too good).

Confucius Say

Arch Winning (36)
Love dads eyes. Enjoy the tournament it’s a great honour
Did not see Slack-Smith once get over the ball at a breakdown. Work rate was average from our back row when they needed to step up and change momentum. If your front row is getting pummelled, your back row needs to change that pressure and they just didn’t.

Thought the emotions got the better of Australia and frustrations led to being dominated in second half.

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
I think they were tackling their back sides off but just got overpowered over the course of the game.

We couldn’t counter punch through the Forwards once the set piece got crippled with the injury.

Done by a better team. I can’t be too critical of anyone after that one. Irish 8,9,13 just kept coming and they look like special talents.

Confucius Say

Arch Winning (36)
Thought our 6 and 7 also failed to support their props in the scrums with both popping their heads up to have a look instead of putting weight behind them. Stephen Hoiles and Morgan Turinui both gave Hooper great wraps but he failed to have an impact against a rampant Irish pack.

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
Hooper right now looks about 10kg off being able to really impact the game. He’ll get there as he fills out but compared to some of the NH Forwards you just won’t dominate contact. Legg is in the same boat.
Great match review.

Size does matter….
Son of Henry Tuilagi. Some rugby genes in that family. I reckon he will be a front rower long term.

Misunderstood fan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Thought our 6 and 7 also failed to support their props in the scrums with both popping their heads up to have a look instead of putting weight behind them. Stephen Hoiles and Morgan Turinui both gave Hooper great wraps but he failed to have an impact against a rampant Irish pack.
I just finished watching the game and agree the 6 and 7 didn’t do their jobs. Plenty of opportunities for the 7 to get over the ball and he wasn’t even looking for it. Does he usually play at 7? The team did look promising until the prop was injured. It was wet footy and they should have taken the points on offer every time. There were 9 given points and whoever made the decision not to needs a lesson in the basics. Coach, captain or 10. Wilson and Bowen lost control after the backrow fell to pieces and hence the backline didn’t get the ball. Vaihu, O’Donnell and Gordon were good. Lancaster didn’t get the opportunity and the other winger had a couple of errors.

Hogan

Allen Oxlade (6)
Wilson and Bowen failed to play to the conditions. The Irish 10 controlled the game perfectly.

Bowen had a mixed game. Threw an intercept that nearly led to a try, had a kick charged down and didn’t really get the backline going. Not sure he is ready for Super Rugby. Wilson has class written all over him.