• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Tri Nations Game 4 South Africa v Australia - Saturday 13 August 2011 - 3N2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Frans Steyn at fullback? Really? Surely there are better FB's than him available...

I thought that bloke could be a superstar, but apart from his big boot, I don't think he's shown a massive amount at international level. With that said, he'll probably go out and score a hat trick and land 6 FG's from 50m out on the weekend.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Frans Steyn at fullback? Really? Surely there are better FB's than him available...

I thought that bloke could be a superstar, but apart from his big boot, I don't think he's shown a massive amount at international level. With that said, he'll probably go out and score a hat trick and land 6 FG's from 50m out on the weekend.

Yip. Reasoning:

1. They wan't to look at him before the RWC as he has been playing in France
2. PdV is only capable of doing things that worked in the past
3. We are going to rely on a good kicking game

Aplon has some q's over his defense and aerials skills. Kirchner fell off the pace in Super Rugby. Pat Lambie should be getting a go and might well against the ABs.

Who the hell knows really.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
It really doesnt matter who is selected to a large degree if they dont have a solid structure and game plan. The headless chook rubbish of playing what is in front of you will fail against this Bok side which I expect to be defensively the strongest team the Wallabies have played this year.

Glad to see a couple of form players belatedly making the team, though I feel as others do McCalman has no place on that bench.

Ma'afu. :'(
I disagree Gnostic. It is against a regimented defence not so adept at adjustment on the run that the likes of Cooper, Genia and Beale can be very effective.
They have a new defense coach and most likely a new system which they will roll out for the first time this weekend.
I do agree about McCalman.
Better Maafu than Cowan. Should probably have been Baxter.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
There is a Saffa "in the know" who reckons the whole bok RWC chances rests upon the hang time that Napoleon Dynamite gets on his bombs.

Sounds a little crazy unless your whole gamplan rests upon contestable kicks I guess - every second of chase counts

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
There is a Saffa "in the know" who reckons the whole bok RWC chances rests upon the hang time that Napoleon Dynamite gets on his bombs.

Sounds a little crazy unless your whole gamplan rests upon contestable kicks I guess - every second of chase counts

Of course it does, when Morne Steyn isn't playing they're completely banking on Steyn being able to match his kicking prowess. I think brilliant goal kickers are so underrated. I would personally swap Quade for Morne easily, this is mainly because we could replace Quade better than most but there's too many points left on the park with crap kickers, just look at last weekend.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
South Africa vs Australia (Tri-Nations) at Kings Park, Durban
Referee: Bryce Lawrence (New Zealand)
Assistant referees: George Clancy (Ireland), Carlo Damasco (Italy)
Television match official: Shaun Veldsman (South Africa)

What will please the Kiwis:

Australia vs New Zealand (Tri-Nations) at Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane
Referee: Wayne Barnes (England)
Assistant referees: Craig Joubert (South Africa), Cobus Wessels (South Africa)
Television match official: Matt Goddard (Australia)

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Of course it does, when Morne Steyn isn't playing they're completely banking on Steyn being able to match his kicking prowess. I think brilliant goal kickers are so underrated. I would personally swap Quade for Morne easily, this is mainly because we could replace Quade better than most but there's too many points left on the park with crap kickers, just look at last weekend.

I was talking about the height Frans gets on his high contestable kicks, not his place kicking (although I agree that's pretty important too)

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)

I get the joke, but the Kiwis really should be happy about this. It would mean that in the two Aus vs NZ games this year we've been lucky enough to have the two best refs in the world.

L

Lee

Butch James - Mission objective

Seek and Destroy Quade Cooper.

I dealt australia can muscle up enough to be effective in this home match for the saffas. Ive been through enough intense games watching our ab's scrape through over there to know that aussie wont feature much. History shows this. SA by under 12 (24-16).

But if aussie can put years of misery over there behind them and pull off one of their greatest performances then congrats to them for making me a fool.....

L

Lee

Yeah they played extremely well in those two games. Still ill take the win/loss record they have over there and feel confident with my prediction...

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
I get the joke, but the Kiwis really should be happy about this. It would mean that in the two Aus vs NZ games this year we've been lucky enough to have the two best refs in the world.

Joubert. Best in the world.

Riiiiiggghtttt...

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Assistant referees: George Clancy (Ireland), Carlo Damasco (Italy)
Television match official: Shaun Veldsman (South Africa)

Oh, Christ.

Damasco is the most competent of the three officials. Then Clancy.

Then you start asking around the stadium if there are any neutral refs there who'd like a game..

Then you ask if there are any refs at all there.

Then you ask if there's anyone there who's ever played rugby; doesn't matter about having your boots, that can be sorted out.

Then you ask the groundsman, the barmen, the car-guards and any random bergies who just happen to be coming past if they want to ref.

Then, and only then, do you reluctantly let Bryce the Bollockless referee.

A

antipodean

Just getting the apologies in early.

What will please the Kiwis:

Australia vs New Zealand (Tri-Nations) at Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane
Assistant referees: Craig Joubert (South Africa), Cobus Wessels (South Africa)
Barnes isn't the incompetent prick he was four years ago. He's a vastly improved referee now and a pretty handy one. What is concerning is how Cobus is allowed to run the line. Every time that piel raises his flag you know he has got it completely arse about or it's entirely inconsequential.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Butch James - Mission objective

Make good decisions.
Kick goals.
Nail your clearances.
Pin point o the corners.

Those are the main ones, oh and:

Nail Qaude whilst using arms.

We'll see if this model of Butch can execute that.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)

Either he doesn't know much or we may as well give up now.

I hope the former.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Who is better?

From the SH, last year I would've said Mark Lawrence, but I reckon Joubert has been the best this year, followed by the Mark variety of Lawrence. The nepotistic Bryce variety of Lawrence I would have as significantly worse than, say, Dickinson.

From the NH, I can't comment as I haven't (knowlingly?) seen enough of the individual refs to comment. Maybe because I get frustrated as to how slow their rucks get...

Status
Not open for further replies.