• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Tonga vs Reds, 12:30pm Friday 26/7 @ Teufaiva Sports Stadium

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
After a close lose to Wales at home the Reds are headed to Tonga. It'll be interesting to see how many Wallabies are released for this game, with the gap between tests you'd have to think are few are given a run.

Not certain on the 10am kick off time but it's what rugby.com.au have. 12:30 pm kick off time. Frustrating timing for those of us with jobs, so probably worth reminding everyone to keep match discussion and results to this thread, at least until Saturday.

Last edited:

LeCheese

John Thornett (49)
I'm not really expecting many if any Wobs released tbh - although those definitely outside of Joe's vision for the RC probably should be. I'm expecting a very similar team to Wales regardless.

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)
Based on previous broadcast attempts from Tonga, not expecting this one to be available. Live broadcast crews & equip for sporting events aren't readily available in Tonga I'd imagine.

Last edited:

LeCheese

John Thornett (49)
Not certain on the 10am kick off time but it's what rugby.com.au have. Frustrating timing for those of us with jobs, so probably worth reminding everyone to keep match discussion and results to this thread, at least until Saturday.
Looks like Women's game is at 9:30 AEST and Men's is at 12:30.

May be an image of 4 people and text

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)
Figures have been mentioned before when discussing the cost to broadcast super rugby games from Tonga/Samoa, can't remember the figure exactly but it was in the >$100k range.

This included flying an entire broadcast crew and equipment in.

Maulalltheway

Charlie Fox (21)
Figures have been mentioned before when discussing the cost to broadcast super rugby games from Tonga/Samoa, can't remember the figure exactly but it was in the >$100k range.

This included flying an entire broadcast crew and equipment in.
Bloody expensive hey. Fingers crossed there is some coverage

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I'm not really expecting many if any Wobs released tbh - although those definitely outside of Joe's vision for the RC probably should be. I'm expecting a very similar team to Wales regardless.
I don't think there will be a lot, but there probably should be a couple, particularly if there are a few os picks joining the wallabies squad. Maybe, Flook and Blyth, possibly Lynagh but only if his hamstring is 100%. Maybe Hodgman too, but that probably depends on how Bell and Schoupp are tracking.

The only one I'm certain of though is Daugunu - it will absolutely be the intent of both the wallabies and Reds staff that he plays this game, right up until the judiciary hands down there findings for his red card incident. If he does get away without a ban (which I reckon is pretty unlikely at this stage) then he'll probably need a week off from the stress and miss the game in the end.

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
The other factor is probably under 20s - they will have been back long enough to come into contention, at very least McLaughlin-Phillps and Goldsborough who both have reasonable time with the senior squad.

LeCheese

John Thornett (49)
1. Sef Fa’agase – Sunnybank – Shailer Park State High School – Beaudesert Warriors
2. Richie Asiata – Easts – Anglican Church Grammar School
3. Massimo De Lutiis – Easts – The Southport School – Surfers Paradise Dolphins
4. Connor Vest – Souths - Grafton High School - Grafton Junior Rugby Club
5. Ryan Smith (vc) – Brothers – St Patrick’s College, Shorncliffe – Caboolture Snakes
6. Seru Uru – Wests, Ratu Kadavulevu School, Fiji – Namoli Rugby Club, Fiji
7. John Bryant - Souths - St Laurence’s College - Souths
8. Joe Brial – University of Queensland – Scots College – Easts, Sydney
9. Louis Werchon - Wests – Sunshine Coast Grammar – Maroochydore Swans
10. James O’Connor - Brothers - St Joseph’s Nudgee College - Brothers
11. Mac Grealy – University of Queensland – Downlands College – Souths Toowoomba
12. Dre Pakeho – Brothers – Anglican Church Grammar School
13. Tim Ryan – Brothers – St Patrick’s College, Shorncliffe
14. Lachie Anderson – Eastwood – Oakhill College – Dural Rugby Club
15. Jock Campbell (c) – University of Queensland – The Southport School – Inverell Highlanders

Reserves
16. Feleti Kaitu’u** – GPS – St Joseph’s Nudgee College
17. Matt Gibbon – Bond University – St Joseph’s Nudgee College – Wollongbar Alstonville Rugby Club
18. Jeffery Toomaga-Allen - Norths - Wellington College, NZ
19. Josh Canham – Bond University – Brighton Grammar, Melbourne - Harlequins, Melbourne
20. Taine Roiri – Sunnybank – John Paul College - Sunnybank
21. Will Cartwright – Brothers – St Joseph’s Nudgee College - Brothers
22. Mason Gordon – Wests – Brisbane Boys’ College - Wests
23. Floyd Aubrey - GPS - Marist College Ashgrove – GPS

* Reds debut
** Potential Reds debut

seabasss

Bob McCowan (2)
Wasn't offered a new deal - don't think the Reds have signed him, so just a free agent trying to stake their claim.
Surprised to hear they have let him go, considering he was the team captain not to long ago. Must be confident in their hooker depth for next few years.

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Surprised to hear they have let him go, considering he was the team captain not to long ago. Must be confident in their hooker depth for next few years.
They've signed both BPA and Dolly from overseas. With Horton getting the lion's share of minutes this year Kaitu'u was always going to be surplus.

I'm glad we're looking at him too, I picked him as worth taking a look at for the squad. His form has been down the last couple of years but I think he could have plenty more to offer in the right environment.