• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

To Forget Marseilles: The Critical Importance of Kicking

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Yep, he was RH. An AFL coach would be pretty good to have in the Wallaby camp, as long as all they teach is kicking, maybe catching the high ball.

V interesting as I found below that reportedly Byrne was kicking and catching coach for the Wallabies in 1999 and for that year's RWC, very interesting indeed.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
They have no idea how to tackle. It infuriates me. The worst part about afl is that they have no idea how to correctly implement the advantage rule.

Curiosity to me. They can only tackle on the torso, a tackle around the legs is illegal. They value the "hip and shoulder", often delivered blind as a shoulder-charge resulting in injury, yet a "safe" tackle around the legs is verboten. Very strange.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
You can kick an AFL ball a lot further than a rugby ball but that was massive by Fletcher.

I went to a kicking clinic with Craig McRae from the Lions and he managed to get a torp going with a rugby ball by kicking the ball with it pointing straight ahead. Took him about 3 goes then was nailing them.

The torp is all about timing. Once you have practiced it enough it becomes second nature. Also look at the different styles. I found copying Latham's technique would give me about 10m extra distance, could get around 50m with it. A big issue is guy try and get too much spin on it and you loose distance and accuracy.

As for place kicking I think Wilkinson has some great tips.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTurKx4fbEE&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mg71xnOERj4

R

Rev Spooner

Our goal-kicking has been ordinary for years now but what worries me more is our general play kicking. How many games have we lost due to that?

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Our goal-kicking has been ordinary for years now but what worries me more is our general play kicking. How many games have we lost due to that?

Good point. I can't help believe kicking from hand in Aus S15 teams can't be improved - how often do we see wayward kicks that fly pin-point into the hands of the opposing FB or other agile back, only for possession to be merely handed over with zero gain and added major risk of a successful counter-attack from deep.

I think open field kicking standards, precision, distances (which can ally with precision to force the opposition to scramble and lose shape) in Aus rugby is way under the equivalent in top AFL levels (which might explain why the ABs shrewdly chose an ex-AFL player as a kicking and catching coach - see above/below). Carter (for example) is at top AFL standard, but few Australian players are IMO.

Victorian Reds Fan

Bob Loudon (25)
Curiosity to me. They can only tackle on the torso, a tackle around the legs is illegal. They value the "hip and shoulder", often delivered blind as a shoulder-charge resulting in injury, yet a "safe" tackle around the legs is verboten. Very strange.

Agree with this x1000. I have brought it up with followers of footy, but unfortunately they only follow the one code and so are unable to see the ludicrous nature of allowing a bump but no tackling below the knees. I also point to rugby as an example of how the advantage rule should be played, but again they would prefer to enjoy the bliss of ignorance.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Torpedo kicks are better. But one little piece of advice is to focus on the contact between your foot and the ball. It sounds stupid, but focus on kicking the ball; don't focus on your legs arc or look up, keep eye contact with the ball and focus on your contact.
As a guy who has little footballing talent but could always out kick and out throw my mate my best suggestion is to really stare as hard as you can at the ball, and once you think you have your maximum concentration level, stare even more! you cant focus enough on the ball. dont look up and just concentrate, try to see the little dimples on the ball and then kick as hard as you can, but keep your head down. Once you are doing this well start to try and change the trajectory of the ball. Are you getting 45 degrees of trajectory? Get someone to stand side on and take a photo or video of the angle you are kicking.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Agree with this x1000. I have brought it up with followers of footy, but unfortunately they only follow the one code and so are unable to see the ludicrous nature of allowing a bump but no tackling below the knees. I also point to rugby as an example of how the advantage rule should be played, but again they would prefer to enjoy the bliss of ignorance.
I tried to explain it once too, but they kept telling me a tackle below the knees was a trip! I gave up, muttering "...and don't get me started on knock-ons...". :)

B

Balls_SlanderandRuck

I'd rather JOC (James O'Connor). He's handled pressure very well on the inter stage for the past two years and has been near-flawless in terms of forced errors due to nerves or cost opportunities, especially compared to another 10/12 in our team who's error rate can't have the same words said for it ::)

JOC (James O'Connor) didnt do too badly HK last year, and with our flip of the coin shooters that are his rivals, surely the kicker choice is no problem. (Albeit if Giteau finds his boots again he'll go top. On his day he's the best kicker in the world, then again everybody is on their day)

I vote we just use the tri-nations to play about - And hope that we don't get raped at the same time and de-motivating the squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.