• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Thoughts on Folau to rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Whether or not Folau would be a good rugby player is totally irrelevant. The ARU needs to take care of its funds, and NO rugby supporter should be interested in seeing scarce funds thrown away on a player whose first loyalty is to another code.

If Folau wants to play rugby, let him, or his manager, say so. Until then, forgeddaboutit.
I would like to agree with this statement, but then feel like a hypocrite when I think of how much money is spent developing players who are not Australian. I dont see a lot of difference between recruiting a Wallabie from another sport, and recruiting a Wallabie who should/could play for their country of birth where they spent much of their life.

I want the scarce funds spent on putting the best possible team on the park, if it is full of Kiwis and Mungos and we win then I dont have a problem.Our priority should be the best team possible, we dont know if Israel is the best option, but he would have to be a contender based on his abilities and performances in pressure cooker situations

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
With Super Rugby starting earlier and earlier each year, Tests in June and November, and a Coach who encourages his Men in Gold to play Club footy whenever they are not needed for national Duty, Rugby is almost a 12 month a year game.

In Mungoland, there season is much shorter, although some may claim that it is more intense.

Would a top level Mungoballer be able to manage an 11 month a year rugby season, and maintain the same intensity level as they did in Mungoland?

I'd expect so, these guys are professional athletes, they don't have jobs outside of their chosen sport.

While the league guys might not be playing at the moment, all NRL clubs are back into full time training. Although their playing season might be slightly shorter, as with all professional footballers, their job is for 12 months of the year.

I honestly don't think that length of season is an issue for any professional footballer looking to change codes. The only important questions are: do they have the right attitude to succeed? do they have the appropriate body shape and skills set? and do they have the ability?

If rugby becomes the only mainstream sport which closes its eyes and ears to players from other codes then it is rugby that will suffer. They all keep their eyes on us and if they see a player who would fit into their game, they make enquiries about availability, attidude, willingness to change etc.

As an example, players go from Pacific Island nations where the season is quite short and go to France, where their season is long and have no problems. It's just a question of mental and physical prepartion.

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
Cummins is a solid footballer. Someone like Harris should be miles away from the squad and I was thinking the same about taps before last night. Taps, cummins and hooper were the best 3.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
They were better right across the park last night. A big improvement especially at the tackle/breakdown.

Hooper continues to excel. England obviously not as good as France, but still a quality side. To beat them at Twickenham showed a bit and I also liked the way they tried to shift the ball around. (Not sure about the chip kicks in own half though.)

Anyone know the reason for the purple jerseys? Can't say I like teams changing traditional jerseys, but wanted to make sure it wasn't for some sort of charity etc before criticising it.

T

TOCC

Cummins is a solid footballer. Someone like Harris should be miles away from the squad and I was thinking the same about taps before last night. Taps, cummins and hooper were the best 3.

Strange...Harris has a place in the broader squad as depth, his kicking ability alone is a major attribute, his general play isn't as good as other players.. But to say he should be miles a way from the squad is a bit of a joke considering the Wallabies won a few games on the back of his boot when he was playing out of position due.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
They were better right across the park last night. A big improvement especially at the tackle/breakdown.

Hooper continues to excel. England obviously not as good as France, but still a quality side. To beat them at Twickenham showed a bit and I also liked the way they tried to shift the ball around. (Not sure about the chip kicks in own half though.)

Anyone know the reason for the purple jerseys? Can't say I like teams changing traditional jerseys, but wanted to make sure it wasn't for some sort of charity etc before criticising it.
Even if it was for a charity, it looked terrible. It looked like the grip section on the chest was in the English Rose design, if it is necessary to change the jersey then why not a white jersey with red and green grip panels in the shape of a rose?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Some people reexamine their Cummins comments this morning ?

He definitely played to his full potential.

My opinion was he wouldn't make the squad with our best available.

However, that could certainly change now.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
^^^ Wrong. We want the furry little Honey Badger to kill the Lions next year.

He has just torn some sluggish English Bulldogs apart.

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
Strange.Harris has a place in the broader squad as depth, his kicking ability alone is a major attribute, his general play isn't as good as other players.. But to say he should be miles a way from the squad is a bit of a joke considering the Wallabies won a few games on the back of his boot when he was playing out of position due.
I understand your point. He can kick but apart from that he doesn't have much to offer. I don't rate him as a centre or fullback or 10 at test rugby leval

T

Train Without a Station

Yeah I suppose he never had to work at becoming one of the premier wingers in rugby league...

That's what my point in fact was. The bloke was a natural leaguie, rolled in as an 18 year old and was an instant hit. Never showed that he wanted to work hard to get better though, like Karmicheal Hunt and others who quickly evolved as players. He pretty much came along as a big bloke with a bit of toe who could leap over plays to catch kicks and stayed as that for the few years he was in the NRL.

You compare that to Karmichael Hunt, the bloke kept himself in top knick, was one of the fittest leaguies going around and then worked from the back to the front of the GC Suns squad. Falou in AFL basically got along doing what he had to.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I would say that Karmichael Hunt is dramatically more suitable to be an AFL player than Folau. I never understood why Folau was picked for AFL. There are plenty of NRL players I would have gone for first.

Folau was only ever suitable to play as a key position forward which is one of the hardest things to do for someone who is new to the game because it is all about reading the play and positioning yourself well.

Hunt has spent a lot of time playing on the ball which gives him a much better chance to use his strength, speed and skills.

I agree that Hunt has worked really hard and has turned into a very decent AFL player. Hats off to the guy. He really strikes me as the kind of natural athlete who could succeed in just about any sport given the time and opportunity.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Folou is not all that as a footballer. Inglis, Slater and Hunt have natural instinct for space to go with their athletic abilities, whereas folou is just a very good athlete.

He is not worth throwing money at. Especially not at a time like this when the ARU can hardly afford to pay the players they already have.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Looks like ARU may now have an additional $700k, or maybe only $300k after the Reds $400k, available in their budget under the Player Payments Cost Code.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Apparently Folau is off to rugby in Europe, no club confirmed. Any of our foreign correspondents have more?

I hope he enjoys his time, does a SBW and comes back in a year or so and plays Super rugby.

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
He would be just as good as most the other league converts, but his marketing pull wouldn't be the same as Wendal and lote.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Apparently he turned down $3 million over 4 years from the Eels. Someone is France has taken a hell of a gamble on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.