• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Thoughts on Folau to rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
I suspect that the OP is having a dig at some of the high priced Loig recruits of the early part of this century - Big Dell, Lote, Rogers, Tahu, and Cross.

The first three were very marketable but generally deserved selection to the wobs on their form and abilities. Not too sure about the latter two, but they weren't particularly marketable, or had particularly large pay checks.

It's interesting to note that the more successful converts were on the wing or at fullback and the less successful guys in the centers.

Try-ranosaurus Rex

Darby Loudon (17)
It's interesting to note that the more successful converts were on the wing or at fullback and the less successful guys in the centers.

ummmm SBW? Thorne? I'd argue they were the most successful converts... Neither of them were wing or fullback, and both won a World Cup.

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
Folau will start at 15 or wing ,probably 15..and as for the Ridiculous comments about him being a risk in such a big match..... heard of State of Origin.... By the time the test series comes around he will be a shoo in...negates the high ball gives us a huge x factor in attack, is a brilliant front on and cover defender and can kick. For the people who think he is not worthy of a spot,please come out to a Tahs game or if you can't unglue yourselves from the negative comments button on the keyboard.......stream the game.....

T

TOCC

Folau will start at 15 or wing ,probably 15..and as for the Ridiculous comments about him being a risk in such a big match... heard of State of Origin.. By the time the test series comes around he will be a shoo in.negates the high ball gives us a huge x factor in attack, is a brilliant front on and cover defender and can kick. For the people who think he is not worthy of a spot,please come out to a Tahs game or if you can't unglue yourselves from the negative comments button on the keyboard...stream the game...

State of origin isn't played under rugby union rules, the argument isn't about whether he can handle the pressure, the argument is that he makes small mistakes due to his raw rugby knowledge, small mistakes have big consequences at test level.

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
State of origin isn't played under rugby union rules, the argument isn't about whether he can handle the pressure, the argument is that he makes small mistakes due to his raw rugby knowledge, small mistakes have big consequences at test level.
So the number of mistakes he's made so far..in last say threes weeks is? the number of positive game breakers he has made is???
The number of large mistakes his experienced Wallaby Team mates have made is???..i'll start you off...Michael Hooper trying to cross in the corner for a 2 bonus point difference try instead of coming in and waiting for support. Folau as you have pointed out is still a bit raw..his improvement rate is huge...has he made the same mistake twice yet? If I'm the kid in the playground who gets to be captain I get first pick....guess who???:)

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Ryan Cross should have been better than he was. He played the game at Waverley College, after all.

Timana Tahu was a sad case, unfortunately, as was Nathan Blacklock. Not to mention Ryan McGoldrick.

Of course there have been some failures. But I think most astute judges would agree that Folau is not, and will not be, one of those. In fact, if he stays in our code he could become one of the greats. And even if he only plays one season, he will be remembered for all the right reasons (and let's hope that one of the reasons is the part he plays in a successful Wallabies team against the Lions).

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Errr, yes, I think that is more or less what I said. "Earning a jersey" does imply a level playing field, with selections based not on history, but on current form, and potential for short term improvement - in line with the coaching strategies, the strengths and weaknesses of the opposition, and of the players competing for positions.

My memory is very long, actually. But, help me out. Name some names. Firstly, of players who just had their jerseys handed to them on the basis of being marketable.

Secondly, players who had their jerseys handed to them based on the size of their pay check.

I am all ears. And eyes. And memory.

Well the league recruits was what I was getting at. Wendell most of all. Think back to the circumstances in his first year. He was very slow at picking up the game and form certainly did not earn him his first caps. Marketability yes being the first convert. Remember the sensation around his poaching. It was massive. They all got the jersey on the back of marketability. They all went on to be ok but that doesn't change the questionable circumstance that got them the jersey to begin with.

As for "short term improvement", I guess you are talking in a financial context. Well I think that is how the ARU viewed the merits of these selections.

I don't think nothing has changed and that is why I believe Izzy was going to get a Wallaby jersey regardless. I think his form will get him the jersey the way he is going.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I'd argue Lote was a more successful convert than SBW. Lote played test footy for a number of years and would have regularly featured in a world 15 during his prime years.

Sailor probably did make it into a wallabies jersey too easily, but looking back I dont think we were overwhelmed with great options at that time. Sailor didn't live up to the hype, but he was still a useful player to have (very effective as a crash and bash winger).

Ryan Cross had to work hard for whatever caps he received and usually played above his limitations at test level.

Re Folau, Id like to see him play on the winger. He's guaranteed to create scoring opportunities for us against the Lions. If we are any chance of beating the lions we need to score tries and we should be choosing our best attacking threats out wide.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
ummmm SBW? Thorne? I'd argue they were the most successful converts. Neither of them were wing or fullback, and both won a World Cup.
What about Tiaan Strauss. Played his hard out year in year out got Springbok selection but was overlooked for favorites from the Bulls and Lions as well as Sharks. Darling from WP had to captain a WP team rebuilding and in decline and still took them to a Currie Cup although got beaten by the Sharks and Le Crook. He went to rugby league then to Australia where he played for Australia. First time I saw South Africans cheering for South Africa and Australia giving support to him. Different story for Rathbone though.

Try-ranosaurus Rex

Darby Loudon (17)
What about Tiaan Strauss. Played his hard out year in year out got Springbok selection but was overlooked for favorites from the Bulls and Lions as well as Sharks. Darling from WP had to captain a WP team rebuilding and in decline and still took them to a Currie Cup although got beaten by the Sharks and Le Crook. He went to rugby league then to Australia where he played for Australia. First time I saw South Africans cheering for South Africa and Australia giving support to him. Different story for Rathbone though.

I'd hardly call Tiaan Strauss a league convert... given he was a naturalised rugby player having played all his formative years and most of his senior years playing rugby both in Aust and SA.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
I'd argue Lote was a more successful convert than SBW. Lote played test footy for a number of years and would have regularly featured in a world 15 during his prime years.

Sailor probably did make it into a wallabies jersey too easily, but looking back I dont think we were overwhelmed with great options at that time. Sailor didn't live up to the hype, but he was still a useful player to have (very effective as a crash and bash winger).

Ryan Cross had to work hard for whatever caps he received and usually played above his limitations at test level.

Re Folau, Id like to see him play on the winger. He's guaranteed to create scoring opportunities for us against the Lions. If we are any chance of beating the lions we need to score tries and we should be choosing our best attacking threats out wide.

Wingers actually have more freedom to roam in the modern game than fullbacks do. JOC (James O'Connor) can play at the back, or Beale if he wins a spot.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
izzy.jpg

Izzy is obviously growing a pair (of massive thighs). I wouldn't want that cruising towards me at deceptively high speed.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Yeah add me to the Folau on the wing camp. I wouldn't pick him over Digby or JOC (James O'Connor), but if I was picking the team I'd try and squeeze all 3 in.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
I'd hardly call Tiaan Strauss a league convert. given he was a naturalised rugby player having played all his formative years and most of his senior years playing rugby both in Aust and SA.
True but he represented 3 countries in both. Have a WC winners medal, had captained the SA union side and have a couple of Currie Cup winners medal to his name. He was still successful in what he did. Remember he played most his years playing rugby for fun.

terry j

Ron Walden (29)
man, sometimes I hate foxsports. Probably my fault for assuming tho, but I assumed we'd see a replay of the tahs game before the brumbies game today, should have checked I guess but nah, I can watch some loig games tho sigh.

So, looks like it was a bit of a white wash but fill me in, how did he go? Twas only two or three weeks ago that to me it hit me that he has what it takes, and since then he has improved every time I watched him.

Has he continued that improvement, seemingly every game? Did some good things last night?

Is it worth catching the replay (I think from memory they replay the games, on tues for god's sake) or just watch the highlights on mon.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Keep your eye out on you tube.

Have you got foxtel IQ? There is a "catch up" option but while some of the round 12 games are already there, the Tahs v Kings isn't posted there yet. I'd imagine it would be there soon. Before Tuesday at least.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
So, looks like it was a bit of a white wash but fill me in, how did he go? Twas only two or three weeks ago that to me it hit me that he has what it takes, and since then he has improved every time I watched him.

Has he continued that improvement, seemingly every game? Did some good things last night?

Folau was alright I guess. Stats obviously aren't the greatest indicator of someone's performance, but despite 2 knock-ons, he scored a try, had two try assists, two line breaks, 6 or 7 offloads, and ran for over 150m.

He also saved a baby from a burning building during the half time break.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
I wonder if Folau's AFL stint has made him a better rugby player. He may not have a great boot but perhaps it gave him a better spacial awareness. Perhaps we should send a letter of thanks to GWS.

Status
Not open for further replies.