• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Thoughts on Folau to rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
....If it is for a true rugby reason; they think he will gain extra rugby nous at Uni/Wicks or the S&C program is that much more advanced then I can accept he should go to the best club to facilitate that.
There is no expectation that he will play/train for a SS club until AFTER the Super season.
If the Tahs think he will learn a lot in the 2 or 3 weeks at the end of the year with a particular club, then they should have appointed the coaching staff from that club and not Cheika.
If they thought the SS club would be important to his development,as there was a real chance that he would not make the Tahs squad and be relegated to the SS for much of the season. They should not have signed him.

Tah and feathered

Watty Friend (18)
There is no expectation that he will play/train for a SS club until AFTER the Super season.
If the Tahs think he will learn a lot in the 2 or 3 weeks at the end of the year with a particular club, then they should have appointed the coaching staff from that club and not Cheika.
If they thought the SS club would be important to his development,as there was a real chance that he would not make the Tahs squad and be relegated to the SS for much of the season. They should not have signed him.
What ever club he goes to will have no input to his development so which ever club he joins is only because he has to be registered with a club.
Going to Uni or Randwick will do nothing for the game but joining Penrith or Parramatta will do good things for the game.
Good sense and NSW Rugby are not words you will see in the same sentence just as what's good for the SS comp and Uni and Randwick will be seen in the same sentence.

T

TOCC

I think the more likely scenario is that he wont play any club games at all... He will either be involved with the Wallabies or not playing at all..
I expect his manager will start negotiating with NRL clubs in the later part of the Super Rugby season and rather then have Izzy running around club rugby and at risk of injuring himself during negotiations he will be put on ice and ruled out due to minor injuries.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Even on ice and ruled out from playing, his mere presence at Merrylands Park in a Two Blues jumper will be of promotional benefit. Far far more than it would be at Uni No 1 oval.

This is even more reason for him to be registered as a Parramatta player even though he may receive S&C and tactical experience from the Sydney Uni people in his Tahs downtime moments.

T

TOCC

It would be silly not to talk to him, he is obviously a physically gifted athlete with some skills pretty rare to find in rugby union.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Folau lives in the same city as Robbie and could be a Wallaby by the end of 2013. It's a simple lunch/coffee appointment, he probably does one a day.

Plus it's off season so I doubt his schedule is are chockers are usual, a free lunch on the company payroll with a potential Wallaby makes sense.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
It would be silly not to talk to him, he is obviously a physically gifted athlete with some skills pretty rare to find in rugby union.

It seems to me that all the talk about Izzy being a Wallaby, or even a Tah at this stage is very premature. He certainly is big and a gifted athlete, but I am far from convinced he will grasp the intricacies of wing defence without a substantial period playing in club rugby. If he is just needed to chase and field Barnes' kicks, he would probably succeed fairly quickly, but there is much more to rugby than that. He could be found out quite awfully if he is thrown in at S15 level without proper development.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
It seems to me that all the talk about Izzy being a Wallaby, or even a Tah at this stage is very premature. He certainly is big and a gifted athlete, but I am far from convinced he will grasp the intricacies of wing defence without a substantial period playing in club rugby. If he is just needed to chase and field Barnes' kicks, he would probably succeed fairly quickly, but there is much more to rugby than that. He could be found out quite awfully if he is thrown in at S15 level without proper development.

I'm of the other view. I reckon he'll be a starting Waratah from the first game, although higher representative honors this year is too much to expect. If he stays he'll do it next year.

We've seen several far less talented and lauded mungo imports go close in the same timeframe, such as Will Chambers. Folau is many levels above that.

I'm excited about such a talented recruit to our game.

T

TOCC

It could have even been a case of RD talking to Izzy and outlining what it is that he expects of him in 2013, what sort of areas he needs to really show some good strength in to actually be considered for the Wallabies.

I think its only fair that a Wallaby coach does this

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I agree, TOCC.
Folau, rightly or wrongly, has an ARU top-up, and is new to the scene. I would think the Wallaby coach would probably at least talk to any player in this position over the phone, or meet them to have a chat. I would not read too much into it.

Django

Frank Row (1)
Workmate tried to get me into AFL and I followed Folau a bit (when he could get a game). What a waste of talent those two (or three?) years in that "sport". An incredibly gifted athlete but still a few years off a Wallaby, will be a starting Tah straight away though IMO

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Still making the odd mistake through rugby inexperience, but more than makes up for these with the skills he brings to the field.

Seasoned rugbyheads are making the same sort of mistakes.

The main question/s about Izzy seem to be:
a. will he stay in Rugby? ; and
b. is #15 the best position for him if he stays, and if not, where should he play?

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The only question is, whether or not he will be in the squad for the Lions' tour. Next year can take care of itself.

I doubt that he would start a Test as full-back. Wing, I would say.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
I don't see him starting a test in June, but after we tear the B&I Lions a new rectum in the first half, I can see Izzy coming off the bench with about 30 minutes to go as an impact utility back in any of the outside backs positions 11, 12, 13, 14 or 15, depending on who needs a break.

The worrying thing is Dingo's history of limited use of his bench.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
All hype aside, his adaptation to the game at this level has been very impressive, showing to me a great set of skills, and a good work ethic. If he plays for the Wallabies or not, the Tahs have had a great deal, considering what they put in. If he pisses off, it will be marked as another "miss" by the ARU with regards to top-up money used on him, although they could surely spin it to show they have achieved "value", given their exceptional numerical ability seen recently!!

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I thought he went well last night. There are certainly more pressing problems for the Tahs than his occasional lapse.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I've been meaning to revisit this thread to check on the doubters and those who were adamant that he could not and would not make it in rugby because the game was too complicated for him to understand.

I've resisted the gloating, but I've had a good laugh this morning going back over the thread. Some of the comments were just plain ridiculous at the time and are even more so now.

Status
Not open for further replies.