• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

The Wallabies Thread

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I don't think AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is at all likely to make the RWC squad unless there are a host of injuries.

If he was in Australia right now with Kuridrani and Kerevi injured he'd be a good shout to be in the squad. Whether he's still up to it in a year's time is anyone's guess.

I have no doubt that he would add value to Hodge and Kerevi in terms of defending in the 13 position if he spent a week in the Wallaby squad with them.

I think he could add value to a Super Rugby team next year and if he's looking to return home for a final season to begin his pathway to life after rugby (at least playing) then that probably wouldn't be a bad idea.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
I think he could add value to a Super Rugby team next year and if he's looking to return home for a final season to begin his pathway to life after rugby (at least playing) then that probably wouldn't be a bad idea.

He was released (against his wishes) by Bordeaux in 2017, a team hardly jumping with centre talent. I'd wager he was released in Japan, too, but I don't know that.

Should we be giving up Super spots to guys coming back for a farewell season? Really? Is that how we engender excellence in our structures?

The only material affect he's likely to have on a super team is preventing a young guy from getting a spot (based on AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s name rather than his form).

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
He was released (against his wishes) by Bordeaux in 2017, a team hardly jumping with centre talent. I'd wager he was released in Japan, too, but I don't know that.

Should we be giving up Super spots to guys coming back for a farewell season? Really? Is that how we engender excellence in our structures?

The only material affect he's likely to have on a super team is preventing a young guy from getting a spot (based on AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s name rather than his form).

His contract in France had finished. They didn't re-sign him to a new contract.

He signed in Japan for one year which he completed.

I'd only sign him if he showed he was up to it, but I tend to think he'd at least demand a bench spot for the Waratahs in 2019 depending on who they recruit. You certainly couldn't pay him a lot though.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
His contract in France had finished. They didn't re-sign him to a new contract.

He signed in Japan for one year which he completed.

I'd only sign him if he showed he was up to it, but I tend to think he'd at least demand a bench spot for the Waratahs in 2019 depending on who they recruit. You certainly couldn't pay him a lot though.

He wanted a new contract and they wouldn't give him one (in France). He was dropped, basically.

He's going be two years older when Super starts.

I just worry that guys like this get signed on the back of what they were, not what they are.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
He wanted a new contract and they wouldn't give him one (in France). He was dropped, basically.

He's going be two years older when Super starts.

I just worry that guys like this get signed on the back of what they were, not what they are.

In relation to Bordeaux, he probably also wanted to remain on huge dollars like when he signed.

I agree completely with your last point. Anyone signing him needs to be sure that the price is right and that they are going to add something to the squad. If the Tahs got him for the right money I think he could help Curtis Rona's game as a 13 immeasurably.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
He is available for Super Rugby because the next Japanese season is finishing early. Massive off season or play at home in Sydney for extra cash, fun, and wildcard tilt at WC. Why not.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
We need to stop playing the ABs 3 times a year. It is really demoralising for players and supporters alike. For now we must play them twice in the context of the RC but they are obviously superior and know exactly how to beat us. Its painful to watch.
The third game should be dropped and let us play a south pacific team on the way to Europe.
Its very hard to see where we might be able to topple them at this point in time.
It is easy to fault individual players and the coaching staff but its not as if they are not giving it everything. I got up at 330am knowing what was going to happen and how I was going to feel afterwards.
I hope that we can be more competitive with the Boks and Argies.

B

Bobby Sands

World rugby is dead.

We will beat SA and Argentina at home, lose away, and say we are making progress.

NZ could produce three teams that are better than us.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
World rugby is dead.

We will beat SA and Argentina at home, lose away, and say we are making progress.

NZ could produce three teams that are better than us.

Well, that just the way it is right now. It doesn't mean we grab our ball and go home. Great cricket sides of the past have been as dominant. Us, the West Indies in the 70s.
The Wallabies just need to keep going and focus on themselves. Change will come for both sides. As Hansen says, we will look back on this particular AB team as a very special group.

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
We need to stop playing the ABs 3 times a year. It is really demoralising for players and supporters alike. For now we must play them twice in the context of the RC but they are obviously superior and know exactly how to beat us. Its painful to watch.
The third game should be dropped and let us play a south pacific team on the way to Europe.
Its very hard to see where we might be able to topple them at this point in time.
It is easy to fault individual players and the coaching staff but its not as if they are not giving it everything. I got up at 330am knowing what was going to happen and how I was going to feel afterwards.
Seriously?
Let's stop playing NZ may as well stop playong Ireland, England and Scotland because that's demoralizing too. Meanwhile tier 2 nations dream of lining up against the ABs.
If we had a halfway competent coach we'd be competitive.
This take the bat and ball and go home approach is soft and dare I say "un Australian", wheres that chopper impersonator with his harden the f up when you need him?

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

Maybe because wallabies so weak at the moment despite being booted from top 14 club AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) thinks he can make the wallabies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Seriously?
Let's stop playing NZ may as well stop playong Ireland, England and Scotland because that's demoralizing too. Meanwhile tier 2 nations dream of lining up against the ABs.
If we had a halfway competent coach we'd be competitive.
This take the bat and ball and go home approach is soft and dare I say "un Australian", wheres that chopper impersonator with his harden the f up when you need him?

3 times a year is too many. Twice for the RC is fine.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Well, that just the way it is right now. It doesn't mean we grab our ball and go home. Great cricket sides of the past have been as dominant. Us, the West Indies in the 70s.
The Wallabies just need to keep going and focus on themselves. Change will come for both sides. As Hansen says, we will look back on this particular AB team as a very special group.

I beg to differ. If there is a "very special group", it is a group of about 40 players, not just "this particular AB team".

There are queues of two or three good replacements for just about every one of the AB squad that was on display last night.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Stupid idea mate.
Why?
We play them more than anyone else every year which makes them very familiar with the way we play, which in turns seems to help them more than us. It is good to measure yourself against the best but not too often.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Why?
We play them more than anyone else every year which makes them very familiar with the way we play, which in turns seems to help them more than us. It is good to measure yourself against the best but not too often.

The rivalry warrants 3 games...

How about if you are reinventing the wheel we just go tell the Rugby league fraternity that they’ll be downsizing origin to a 2 match series.

Plus the 3rd game helps our bottom line when it comes to paying the incredibly poor mismanagement by RA.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
It's just rearranging deck chairs on the titanic, given that team changes aren't going to fix the underlying skill/structural/player development issues in Australian Rugby, but here's the team I'd trot out against the Boks (in a vain attempt to create a smidgen of optimism):

1. Sio
2. Fainga'a
3. Tupou
4. Arnold
5. Coleman
6. Tui
7. Hooper
8. Pocok
9. Genia
10. Foley
11. Banks
12. Beale
13. Hodge
14. Folau
15. DHP

Of course, there's still Foley at 10 and Pocock and Hooper in the back row which is sure to rile the usual crowd. I just don't see anyone else better at this point in time. Arnold adds aggression we dearly need, Rodda is just too passive. I can buy arguments about starting Tupou from the bench when we're playing well but the way we've been going we have to have our most impactful 15 out on the field and he's our ace in the hole in the impact department. Think Taf has been way below where he was last year, FF (Folau Fainga'a) was sublime at the end of Super, give him a shot.

DHP played very well at fullback and, although there were some comments about no x-factor, he's as slippery on the kick return as Ben Smith and kicks well. Folau then moves to 14 in place of Koroibete. Maddocks is good at sniffing out tries and in support play but Banks' pace and agility makes him seem more likely to create a try. Oh and Banks is the best cover defender in Australia, wouldn't it have been great if he had been on the field to run down a few ABs.