• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

The Wallabies Thread

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Koroibete's defensive issues this year are more to do with the terrible defensive pattern the Rebels are running, rather than his inability to tackle or read the attacking play in front of him. on friday he played exclusively on the outside wing, Maddocks was always on the blindside - both in attack and defence. The Rebels concede the outer 15 - 20 metres to the opposition and then the last man has to rush up and make the tackle, difficult to do with precision every time.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I also want to see Taqele given a jersey, although he got burnt defensively on the weekend in positions where he really shouldn't have. I guess that's always the risk with him.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Sorry, thought you meant Toby as the discussion was about LHPs.

JP has certainly shown some good form this year (as he did with the Brumbies), but despite him apparently having resident status, I think there is still a question mark over his eligibility because he went back to SA to play for a couple of years.

Now i get where you are coming from haha.

To be honest i just wish we start the whole pick from within Super thing ourselves and pick MAT as our backup LH, Samu in the squad and even Toby Smith if we are short. Start letting the kiwis know if they want to sign Aus qualified players we aren't afraid to pick them. Ball is in their court then, not that they are signing many Aussies.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I also want to see Taqele given a jersey, although he got burnt defensively on the weekend in positions where he really shouldn't have. I guess that's always the risk with him.

DHP got burnt as well and jammed in on the man Koroibete had covered which led to the Sunwolves try. Koroibete got bumped off at least once and Perese missed a tackle that led to a try. Defending on the wing is hard, kudos to Petaia who doesn't miss tackles.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
Would be surprised if they picked Deegan to give him a chance considering only recently he left the tahs - not when there is Stewart and Mason in the wings

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
And if it's tight at the end of the game you still get the benefit of having a long range goal kicker. Given we don't play a tight, set-piece oriented game where we try and force penalties for points I'm not sure we'll win many games if we're reliant on Hodge kicking 50m penalties for us throughout the game so it's unlikely his boot bags him a place in the starting side.
having the option may change the opponents play, they are less likely to "stretch the rules" on half the field rather than within 20 metres if Foley is the only option

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Stewart looks to have potential but it’s too early. QC (Quade Cooper) has opted out of test rugby having turned up his nose at several decent offers away from QLD that would have kept him eligible.
Everything should have been done to keep To'omua in Australia as he still has a long way to go in his career and probably has his best footy ahead of him.
Foley is a good test player but he has too much and not enough pressure on him.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Beale should be the back up 10 in the 23 and Hodge another option in the squad.
While I'd be happy with either of those as options for an in game injury or something. But I do think you really want a more 'full time' flyhalf in the squad. Ultimately, I think you take Stewart or Mason in the squad, but not the 23 because they are the only real flyhaves. Hodge and Beale are part timers at best, Beale has looked like a real fly half at times but then at other times was very obvious not a flyhalf. Hodge was fine for the Rebles but required a Beale type 12.

Debz isn't going to cut it. Hawera will never 'be Australian' to my mind, he's just always been 'the kiwi import'.

I agree with those who have said Stewart and Mason aren't really ready, but we have have no real alternatives, and never of them has shown they aren't up to it due to a lack of skill or ability. Fundamentally either of them must be better than Hodge.