• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Perspective is a funny thing and I have said it on the Tahs thread earlier this year.

I was happy when Simmons was contracted to the Tahs because I said in 2015 the Tahs were weak in the second row and it was a very major failing of Cheika to not address it when Douglas indicated he was leaving. That failing continued until this year. Now I never really rated Simmons above Super Rugby and not much at that level either but was very happy to have him at the Tahs because he was the best lock option available. Now when I spoke to a mate from Qld is was very well connected with the Reds a few years ago he told me that Simmons was extremely highly rated amongst the forwards for his scrum and lineout work. This bloke knows A LOT about rugby so I went away and looked again past my prejudiced view of him and saw that indeed he is technically one of the best set piece locks in the country, BUT he must be paired with a physically dominant lock who can maul and run and tackle with that dominance. That is what he does not have with Hanigan and makes me wish Skelton was still around for the Tahs because the maul would be a far riskier tactic against the Tahs if he was there.

No doubt without my mate's information I would be still decrying Simmons lack of impact in anything except the lineout.

So if Simmons is paired with someone like Coleman I could see him starting for the Wallabies again and actually bringing a balance to the second row that we have lacked in the recent past.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Not actually a proponent of his selection, but Douglass has been very good this season too! How did we go from zero stock at lock to an actual glut at lock -- Maybe Arnold is the odd many out given he's got a few weeks off.

Because two seasons ago half the people on here were giving it to Cheika for selecting a different lock combination every test and his explanation for that was that he was building depth.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Because two seasons ago half the people on here were giving it to Cheika for selecting a different lock combination every test and his explanation for that was that he was building depth.

Can't help but think selection pressure has played a part in Simmons no longer conceding so many penalties due to laziness.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Will the Locks' turnstile again come into vogue this year if the Irish take our scrum, and forwards play generally, apart as some are fearing here? The front row can't be changed much as there are few options at this level available outside the test squad. Cheika has shown a distinct reluctance to play around with the Pooper, so locks and No 6 look to be the areas for further change if the first test doesn't go our way. Watch this space.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Will the Locks' turnstile again come into vogue this year if the Irish take our scrum, and forwards play generally, apart as some are fearing here? The front row can't be changed much as there are few options at this level available outside the test squad. Cheika has shown a distinct reluctance to play around with the Pooper, so locks and No 6 look to be the areas for further change if the first test doesn't go our way. Watch this space.
I don't think the Irish will take apart our forwards in the set piece at all. If anything set piece has become one of our strengths.

It's the rest that's the issue, making the gain line, rucks when in possession and ball security generally.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
So you're saying Cheika is most likely to make changes at the positions in the pack where we have most competition for spots and it isn't crystal clear who our best players are in those positions?

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Back in the 2011 World Cup we couldn't deal with the Irish holding us up the whole time. I'll be interested to see if Cheika has any tactics to prevent this or even capitalise on it.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Locks for me should be Rodda and Coleman. Coleman has been the best Aus lock on the international stage in the past 12months and Rodda has clearly outplayed Simmons over the course of the Super Rugby season. Rodda's best game has been better than Simmons and Simmons worst game has been worse than Rodda's. Simmons has had a few solid games, especially of late, but the first 4-5 games he played were rather comical at times. Either way happy to support who ever is picked

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
My stab at a line-up for the first test:

1. Sio 2. Uelese 3. Kepu
4. Coleman 5. Rodda
7. Hooper 8. Timu 6. Pocock
9. Genia
10. Foley 12. Beale 13. Rona
11. DHP 14. Taqele
15. Folau

16. AAT
17. BPA
18. Tupou
19. Simmons
20. Higginbotham (scraping the barrel)
21. Gordon
22. Kerevi
23. Koroibete

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
My stab at a line-up for the first test:

1. Sio 2. Uelese 3. Kepu
4. Coleman 5. Rodda
7. Hooper 8. Timu 6. Pocock
9. Genia
10. Foley 12. Beale 13. Rona
11. DHP 14. Taqele
15. Folau

16. AAT
17. BPA
18. Tupou
19. Simmons
20. Higginbotham (scraping the barrel)
21. Gordon
22. Kerevi
23. Koroibete

agree that # 20 spot is really hard to fill.

My team is very similar:

1 Sio 2 Latu 3 Kepu
4 Coleman 5 Rodda
7 Hooper 8 Timu 6 Pocock

9 Genia
10 Foley
11 DHP 12 Beale 13 Kerevi 14 Korobiete
15 Folau

16 BPA
17 JP Smith
18 Tupou
19 Simmons
20 Higginbotham
21 Gordon
22 Hodge
23 Taqele

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I didn't think Smith was eligible?

I think Latu is our best hooker going round but he's not even starting for the Tahs at the moment. Not sure he'd get picked.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
agree that # 20 spot is really hard to fill.

My team is very similar, the same pack at least.

1 Sio 2 Latu 3 Kepu
4 Coleman 5 Rodda
7 Hooper 8 Timu 6 Pocock

9 Genia
10 Foley
11 DHP 12 Beale 13 Kerevi 14 Korobiete
15 Folau

16 BPA
17 JP Smith
18 Tupou
19 Simmons
20 Higginbotham
21 Gordon
22 Hodge
23 Taqele
I do like Latu at 2 with the Pooper as it provides another strong ball carrier in the forwards. Also the Hells Angels mullet/Mohawk he is currently sporting is much more intimidating than BPA’s long locks.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I do like Latu at 2 with the Pooper as it provides another strong ball carrier in the forwards. Also the Hells Angels mullet/Mohawk he is currently sporting is much more intimidating than BPA’s long locks.

If that's your logic why not start Tupou who's actually been in really good form -- Latu hasn't been starting for the Waratahs last I looked.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
If that's your logic why not start Tupou who's actually been in really good form -- Latu hasn't been starting for the Waratahs last I looked.
Latu not starting for the Tahs hasn’t been anything to do with his form. I wouldn’t start Tupou in the Wallabies, at least in the first test, because his set piece is unproven at test level whereas Kepu is an experienced scrummager who has performed well at Test level before and though he’s not Tupou still has an impressive running game (how many props have scored 60m tries?). For me, BPA definitely looks the goods but not sure you can say he is better at the set piece than Latu (his throwing was good at the start of the year but has gone off a bit lately) and Latu is clearly superior around the park at this stage so that’s why I’d be starting Latu over him.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I didn't think Smith was eligible?

I think Latu is our best hooker going round but he's not even starting for the Tahs at the moment. Not sure he'd get picked.

Apparently JP is an Australian Citizen.

I suspect Latu will be starting for the Tahs pretty soon. Hoping the attitude shift has happened, as some have suggested. All he needs is a couple of decent runs wearing the sky blue 2 and he'd jump to #1 in the pecking order given Uelese's injuries.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
It was only against a Sunwolves side that had made 14 changes but the incumbent Wallabies in the Rebels had better games last night. Coleman looked to have his old aggression back and Koroibete finished well and put on a couple of bone crunchers in defence although DHP looked a bit rusty. I thought Phillip was excellent and should be a good squad member even if he can’t crack the team in the second row. If there’s any second rower that could be turned into a 6 it’s Phillip, also looks to be a bit of a nutcase (in a good way) on the field yelling at the opposition during the lineout and always in the thick of any scrap.