• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

The Wallabies Thread

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Is this really true, i think not. It seems like the same argument used for retaining Pulver and his cronies as the ARU board.

Wallabies have been beaten in the past 12months by test teams with heavy Aussie influence in the coaching teams, Matt Taylor is the assistant coach of Scotland and the more obvious Eddie Jones taking England on an unprecedented run of wins with plenty of Aussies assisting in the backroom in the form of Glen Ella running attack and Dean Benton S&C coach.

Why restrict ourselves to only Aussies when so many other international teams have employed foreigners with good success, look at someone like Chris Boyd from he Hurricanes or Mark McCall from Saracens, or better yet, go bold and recruit Wayne Smith..

Glen Ella won't be up for many jobs for a while I think

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/glen-ella...lion-says-nsw-government-20170721-gxfzp3.html

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
And what head coach would you suggest?

Not really my place to suggest; would be nice if the ARU would bite the bullet and do something positive. The fact is that Cheika has no success to talk of over the past two years - in fact his win/loss record probably sits with the worst in living memory.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Best player is not necessarily best captain

I agree with this. But I also agree with Brown Hornett's criteria for captain. The number one being:
- Must be one of the first names on the team sheet. Their place cannot be in question.

This rules Hooper out, or should, given his rivalry with Pocock.
Also should rule out Moore, his form has been deteriorating for the last 3 years.

Coleman is really the only one who is miles ahead of the next in his position - and looks to hold that position for the next 3+ years.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Not really my place to suggest; would be nice if the ARU would bite the bullet and do something positive. The fact is that Cheika has no success to talk of over the past two years - in fact his win/loss record probably sits with the worst in living memory.
I don't think any previous wallabies coach would have had to select from super sides with 6% win ratio against NZ sides in 2 years.

Sent from my FP2 using Tapatalk

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
but also has the choice to pick his assistants and picks two coaches who were directly involved with that 6% win ratio. Real brains trust.
Perhaps not so much. On paper that brumbies side should have been on the bottom of the AU's conference not the top. I put that down to Larkham. Our cattle is simply the worst its ever been comparatively to other countries.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I don't think any previous wallabies coach would have had to select from super sides with 6% win ratio against NZ sides in 2 years.

But he's consistently led the Wallabies to losses against England, South Africa, Scotland, Ireland etc. I would be confident most of the previous coaches would have had more success with the same talent.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
But he's consistently led the Wallabies to losses against England, South Africa, Scotland, Ireland etc. I would be confident most of the previous coaches would have had more success with the same talent.
How are you confident. Before 2016 the lowest win ratio against NZ sides was 30%. And I think that was 2007. I don't see how Chieka isn't coaching the Wallabies under what should be described as exceptionally bad circumstances.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Meanwhile QC (Quade Cooper) is having a rest in Bali

Where are the rest of the players not selected for the Wallabies?

QC (Quade Cooper) was dropped. Don't think sugarcoating it helps. Hard to argue he had a good year and is only considered due to a lack of 10's. So why shouldn't he be off enjoying his time with the rest of the players not selected for Wallabies duty. It means SFA and I am quite happy TBH. A fresh QC (Quade Cooper) is very good for the Reds next year.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Precisely. All super players not selected in the squad are granted a 2 week rest prior to returning to club duties. Some might argue that he should be out there fighting for his spot but I'm tipping he was told to take the break.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

err what?

you seem to be fine critising selection while offering options

T

TOCC

err what?

you seem to be fine critising selection while offering options

Obviosuly... Discussing player selections is a cometely different issue to discussing coaching and management appointments or at least who their replacement should be. Players are selected from a pool of players who have already signed contracts with the ARU making themselves available for higher selection, coaches and management are not.

That doesn't make management or coaches above criticism, I get a little tired of this demand that we shouldn't criticise Pulver/Cheika/Clyne/Grey unless you can name the replacement who could start in the job tommorow. There's an enormous amount of variables when it comes to management and coaching recruitment that it would be a pointless game of hypotheticals. Does that mean we shouldn't discuss the respective underperformance though? Absolutely not.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Through a mate whose opinion I respect yes..
What exactly is your opinion based on?
If not Hooper or Coleman, then who is you're preferred Captain? Moore isn't the solution, he is struggling to hold onto a starting position and won't be starting every test match.

Without going Tit for Tat on mates opinions or a player's opinion or 2 Coleman is not the answer, for a couple of reasons

Someone needs to stand up over the next 10 - 12 months prior to next years mid year tests, Until then and reluctantly I'd stick with Moore:(

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Coleman has to tone down or stop the grub shit if he wants to be a real option for captain, provincially or nationally.

Pretty sure it's clear as daylight you can't have the same guy instigating most of the handbags and trying to make peace with the referee. If he can find a way to be an enforcer without being a complete grub at the same time, sure. Has as good a shot as about anyone at being an effective Captain for the Wobs right now.

T

TOCC

Without going Tit for Tat on mates opinions or a player's opinion or 2 Coleman is not the answer, for a couple of reasons

Someone needs to stand up over the next 10 - 12 months prior to next years mid year tests, Until then and reluctantly I'd stick with Moore:(

No please, go tit for tat.. you said the thought of him as captain made you vomit, with such a strong stance the least you could do is provide a reason why