• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

The Moana Pasifika Franchise

The Moana Pasifika Franchise

• Gone in 2 years

Votes: 20 37.0%
  • Very Cool

Votes: 6 11.1%
  • Why the FUCK does NZRFU have to bankroll this bullshit?

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • Will get the dregs of The Auckland Blues

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • may as well just call it "The Southern Kings"

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • "Players will come back from million $ Toulon contracts to play for free in bumhole Papatoetoe"

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • This team will kick arse

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • Gone in 10 years

Votes: 6 11.1%
  • Least NZ Rugby could do after years of harvesting islands for talent.....

Votes: 23 42.6%
  • .....Straya not exactly innocent there.....

Votes: 13 24.1%

• Total voters

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
So with Savea signing, this means Moana are officially a NZ's 6th Super Team? I thought the whole point of them was to develop Samoan and Tongan players

Wasn't this debunked years ago? I am not sure if there are others in this situation, but didn't Levi Aumua essentially get picked for the All Blacks 2nd team and then transferred to the Crusaders as a direct result of his breakout season with MP (Moana Pasifika)?

If this team was really about growing the game in those regions they wouldn't transfer the best players out of the side.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
@Ignoto , not sure how it relates that Ardie playing for MP (Moana Pasifika) means that DMac could play for Tahs etc ,NZR are helping pay MP (Moana Pasifika)'s way, and Ardie is still contracted to NZR .
I can't even think why Tahs (and RA) paying DMacs wages are even in same park, unless you think RA has got spare cash floating aorund to help save NZR money. They are so different in every way.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Wasn't this debunked years ago? I am not sure if there are others in this situation, but didn't Levi Aumua essentially get picked for the All Blacks 2nd team and then transferred to the Crusaders as a direct result of his breakout season with MP (Moana Pasifika) (Moana Pasifika)?

If this team was really about growing the game in those regions they wouldn't transfer the best players out of the side.
No Levi Aumua was always leaving MP (Moana Pasifika), he actually was reluctant to ever sign for them as he stated at time he never had a desire to play for Samoa etc. As anyone who has watched them play they have almost always had players that weren't eligible for the Islands, but was decided that was only way to go for them to develop.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
@Ignoto , not sure how it relates that Ardie playing for MP (Moana Pasifika) (Moana Pasifika) means that DMac could play for Tahs etc ,NZR are helping pay MP (Moana Pasifika) (Moana Pasifika)'s way, and Ardie is still contracted to NZR .
I can't even think why Tahs (and RA) paying DMacs wages are even in same park, unless you think RA has got spare cash floating aorund to help save NZR money. They are so different in every way.
The whole point of the Moana team is to grow rugby in the PI's. That Moana is a independant stand alone team and not a 6th NZ team.

We were told that they had to be based in Auckland because of the logistics, that the stadiums in the PI aren't up to standard. Yet the Reds have been the only team who've played out there.

So we either have two possibilities here;

1) That Moana is a 6th NZ team so Ardie is free to be play for Moana and be eligible to be picked for the All Blacks.

If this is the case, then NZRU lied about their willingness to grow the game, to give back to the PI communities and are essentially abusing this opportunity.

Or is it;

2) That Moana is a stand alone team and Ardie has signed with an exemption by NZRU to allow him to be picked for the All Blacks.

If so, that should then free up the rest of the All Blacks like DMac to test the free market ala Sydney and still be eligible for the All Blacks.

From the outside, it again demonstrates NZRU's being selfish for their own agenda and needs.

I also commend Ardie for joining Moana and helping give back to the team, but this is not a good look for NZ and we either need to move away from this idea of you have to sign for a NZ team to be eligible for the All Blacks.

Tomthumb

Alan Cameron (40)
@Ignoto , not sure how it relates that Ardie playing for MP (Moana Pasifika) (Moana Pasifika) means that DMac could play for Tahs etc ,NZR are helping pay MP (Moana Pasifika) (Moana Pasifika)'s way, and Ardie is still contracted to NZR .
World Rugby are helping fund Moana Pasifika for the express purpose of developing SAMOA & TONGA

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
The whole point of the Moana team is to grow rugby in the PI's. That Moana is a independant stand alone team and not a 6th NZ team.

We were told that they had to be based in Auckland because of the logistics, that the stadiums in the PI aren't up to standard. Yet the Reds have been the only team who've played out there.

So we either have two possibilities here;

1) That Moana is a 6th NZ team so Ardie is free to be play for Moana and be eligible to be picked for the All Blacks.

If this is the case, then NZRU lied about their willingness to grow the game, to give back to the PI communities and are essentially abusing this opportunity.

Or is it;

2) That Moana is a stand alone team and Ardie has signed with an exemption by NZRU to allow him to be picked for the All Blacks.

If so, that should then free up the rest of the All Blacks like DMac to test the free market ala Sydney and still be eligible for the All Blacks.

From the outside, it again demonstrates NZRU's being selfish for their own agenda and needs.

I also commend Ardie for joining Moana and helping give back to the team, but this is not a good look for NZ and we either need to move away from this idea of you have to sign for a NZ team to be eligible for the All Blacks.
Everything I ever read was that MP (Moana Pasifika) were formed to give players with Islnad heritage the chance to play professional rugby, and have a team built around that. I merely stated that I don't see how Ardie playing for MP (Moana Pasifika) means that DMac or anyone should be able to play for Tahs etc.

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)
World Rugby committed around $6 million to fund the Drua and Moana Pasika over 3 years for the development of rugby in the Pacific islands and improve professional pathways/competitiveness for Samoa/Tonga/Fijian, which ends this year.

So, I would be interested to see if that funding was extended and if the value has changed. Drua would appear to be delivering good value for money under the initial intent, Moana Pasfika is somewhat questionable though.

Reactions: dru

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
World Rugby are helping fund Moana Pasifika for the express purpose of developing SAMOA & TONGA
Well it was for all the PIs (not just Tonga and Samoa), and was for developing players from there, but to give them a place to play if they didn't want to go to Europe etc.Yet they are quite happy having Tom Savage playing for them? And Lincoln McLutchie also played for them, neither is eligible, and actually unlike those 2 Ardie can become available in 3 years.

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Everything I ever read was that MP (Moana Pasifika) (Moana Pasifika) were formed to give players with Islnad heritage the chance to play professional rugby, and have a team built around that. I merely stated that I don't see how Ardie playing for MP (Moana Pasifika) (Moana Pasifika) means that DMac or anyone should be able to play for Tahs etc.
The shift there is around the NZRU's policies - if Ardie remains eligible for the All Blacks while at Moana it's a relative first - a player not playing for a super rugby side within the NZRU's high performance envelope (and without a future contract for one, like a guy on sabbatical) remaining eligible for All Blacks selection. It's a softening of what has in the past been a hard line stance and opens the door to other All Blacks playing at other non-NZ franchises in the future.

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)
Well it was for all the PIs (not just Tonga and Samoa), and was for developing players from there, but to give them a place to play if they didn't want to go to Europe etc.Yet they are quite happy having Tom Savage playing for them? And Lincoln McLutchie also played for them, neither is eligible, and actually unlike those 2 Ardie can become available in 3 years.
so you're saying the All Blacks will overlook picking Ardie to allow him to swap nations then?

Tomthumb

Alan Cameron (40)
Samoan and Tongan unions were involved in the creation of this

I don't think those guys should be playing for Moana either, this whole thing feels like NZR taking advantage rather than actually investing and helping Tongan and Samoan rugby

Would Ardie be eligible for NZ if he signed with the Drua? If not, then he shouldn't be eligible after signing for Moana

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
so you're saying the All Blacks will overlook picking Ardie to allow him to swap nations then?
No I saying that if Ardie is dropped for ABs etc after 3 years he would be able to be picked for Samoa etc. But obviously would no longer be contracted to NZR. Lets face it pretty unlikely, but he could do it, the other 2 don't have Samoan etc bloodlines. Not saying I agree with that rule etc, but is actually a fact. I really not sure why it's in anyway upsetting anyone with what is happening, hell I a Canes man, but see the positives for MP (Moana Pasifika) of this happening.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Samoan and Tongan unions were involved in the creation of this

I don't think those guys should be playing for Moana either, this whole thing feels like NZR taking advantage rather than actually investing and helping Tongan and Samoan rugby

Would Ardie be eligible for NZ if he signed with the Drua? If not, then he shouldn't be eligible after signing for Moana
Good question, but not a relevant question, Ardie has no ties to Fiji and doubt whether he would ever choose to go to Drua anyway (and Drua's own policy). But also NZR helps fund MP (Moana Pasifika), so can see why they making allowances for Ardie , as they stated clearly on the forming of MP (Moana Pasifika) that they would.
I will ask again, why is upsetting anyone from Aus that Ardie is being allowed to play for MP (Moana Pasifika)?

Last edited:

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
I will ask again, why is upsetting anyone from Aus that Ardie is being allowed to play for MP (Moana Pasifika) (Moana Pasifika) (Moana Pasifika
Refer to my earlier post.

Either it reaffirms everyone's beliefs that Moana is another feeder club to NZRU/The All Blacks as Ardie can be picked.

Or, it's a silent way of bending the eligibility rules of All Blacks playing outside of the designated 5 sides. Which should mean we can open super rugby to being a free market and All Blacks play in Aus and Wallabies Play in NZ if picked.